Digital TV News: Infonetics Research
Cable STB sales perk up in 1Q14
Jun 16, 2014 – According to Infonetics, cable STBs were the only segment to see unit and revenue growth in 1Q14. The company expects the OTT media server segment to grow from 6% of global STB revenue in 1Q14 to 14% by 2018.
News categories: Infonetics, Jeff Heynen, Cable TV, Digital TV, Market Research, OTT, Set Top Box, Worldwide
OTT and multiscreen TV drive spending on broadcast and streaming video equipment
Jun 3, 2014 – According to Infonetics, the broadcast and streaming video equipment market grew 5.6% worldwide in 2013, as spending on CDNs increased while spending on contribution encoders and VOD playout servers decreased.
News categories: Infonetics Research, Jeff Heynen, Infrastructure, Market Research, Worldwide
Operators rate Arris and Pace top residential gateway vendors
May 23, 2014 – According to Infonetics Research, Arris and Pace have supplanted Huawei and ZTE (from last year’s survey) as the perceived top residential gateway vendors among Infonetics’ operator respondents.
News categories: Infonetics, Jeff Heynen, Digital TV, Gateway, Market Research, Worldwide
802.11ac to become standard for IPTV set-top boxes
May 20, 2014 – According to an Infonetics Research survey, 802.11n is currently the most widely-used WiFi technology for IP set-top boxes, with 802.11ac showing the biggest gain, growing from 6% today to 67% next year.
News categories: Infonetics Research, Jeff Heynen, Digital TV, Gateway, IPTV, Market Research, Set Top Box, Wireless, Worldwide
Video gateways a bright spot in slumping STB market
Mar 14, 2014 – According to Infonetics, the global set-top box (STB) market—including IP/cable/satellite/DTT STBs and OTT media servers—totaled $18 billion in 2013, a decline of 10% from the previous year.
News categories: Infonetics, Jeff Heynen, Cable TV, Digital TV, Gateway, IPTV, Market Research, Satellite, Set Top Box, Terrestrial, Worldwide
Emerging markets driving growth in pay-TV market
Feb 18, 2014 – Infonetics Research has released excerpts from its 1st edition Pay TV Subscriber Database. The top 5 satellite providers by subscribers are DIRECTV US, DISH Network, DIRECTV Latin America, Tata Sky, and BSkyB.
News categories: Infonetics Research, Jeff Heynen, Cable TV, Digital TV, IPTV, Market Research, Satellite, Subscribers, Worldwide
Pay-TV operators look to 'second screen' apps and enhanced DVR
Feb 12, 2014 – According to Infonetics Research, value-added services like second screen apps and enhanced DVR capabilities have gained in popularity due to the convergence happening in the living room between smartphones, tablets, and connected TVs.
News categories: Infonetics, Jeff Heynen, Digital TV, Market Research, Multiscreen, Personal Video Recorder, Smartphone, Tablet, Worldwide
NETGEAR announces Android set-top box HDMI dongle
Jan 6, 2014 – NETGEAR (NASDAQGM: NTGR) has introduced the NETGEAR NeoMediacast™ HDMI Dongle. The NTV300D is a Miracast®-enabled platform that enables service providers to use Android™ applications to offer their subscribers OTT content.
News categories: NETGEAR, Michael Clegg, Jeff Heynen, CES, Digital TV, OTT, Set Top Box
Focus of home networking industry squarely on multiscreen video
Nov 8, 2013 – According to Infonetics Research, in China, South East Asia, Eastern Europe, the Middle East, and Latin America, the focus of home networking is first on expanding WiFi coverage, then quickly shifting to distributing multiscreen video
News categories: Infonetics Research, Jeff Heynen, Gateway, Home Networking, Market Research, Multiscreen, Router
- Videocon d2h releases Direct To Mobile TV app
- Time Warner Cable residential video subscribers down 45,000 in 2Q 2015
- BT TV adds 60,000 subscribers in 2Q 2015
- STB shipments to South Asian countries rise 20% in Q2 2015
- Central American pay-TV subscribers to hit 5.57 million by 2018
- 4K TV shipments to exceed 30 million units in 2015
- BSkyB adds 113,000 TV subscribers in 2Q 2015
- Telecom Italia to add Netflix to TIMvision set-top box
- One third of cable subscribers to be passed by DOCSIS 3.1 by April 2017
- Telstra to launch streaming TV service with Roku
- Dish TV adds 390 thousand subscribers in 2Q 2015
- PathPartner announces HEVC codec for x86 platforms
- Flat Panel Display revenues forecast to fall in 2015
- Harmonic powers Japan's first live Full-Frame 4K Ultra HD channel for EHIME CATV
- Global STB shipments fell 2% to 275 million units in 2014
- Distribution Encoder market revenues to decline 21% by 2020
- FTTH subscribers in Asia-Pacific up 35 percent in one year
- Finland's DNA upgrades OTT with Booxmedia and Verimatrix
- MPEG LA issues Call for Patents for MPEG-DASH
- AT&T completes acquisition of DIRECTV