Africa (Sub-Saharan) Digital TV News
Africa to add 18 million pay TV subscribers by 2027
Jan 10, 2022 – According to Digital TV Research, Africa will add 18 million pay TV subscribers between 2021 and 2027 to take the total to 57 million. Pay TV revenues will reach $6.46 billion by 2027, up from $4.78 billion on 2021.
News categories: Digital TV Research, Simon Murray, Africa, Digital TV, Market Research, Subscribers
AXIAN and Zattoo bring IPTV & OTT entertainment to Madagascar
Dec 10, 2021 – Zattoo has announced that Telma, an AXIAN Group subsidiary, is using Zattoo's end-to-end, fully hosted and managed TV-as-a-Service to offer state of the art set-top box and app based IPTV and OTT services in Madagascar.
News categories: Zattoo, Telma, Niklas Brambring, Bertrand Lacroix, Apps, Content Distribution, Digital TV, IPTV, Madagascar, Set Top Box, Streaming
South African government provides update on analogue switch-off
Nov 25, 2021 – South Africa managed to conclude analogue Switch-off in the Free-State province at the end of October and on 26th November 2021 the switch-off of the last SABC analogue site in the Northern-Cape in Upington will be completed.
News categories: Communications and Digital Technologies, Digital TV, South Africa, Terrestrial
Multichoice reports results to end 3Q 2021
Nov 11, 2021 – MultiChoice has reported results for the period ended 30 September 2021 (1H FY22). The group increased its 90-day active subscriber base by 1m to reach 21.1m, split between 12.2m households in the Rest of Africa (RoA) and 8.9m in South Africa.
News categories: Multichoice, Africa, Content Protection, Digital TV, Results, Satellite, South Africa, Streaming, Subscribers
fuboTV Inc. to acquire Molotov SAS
Nov 9, 2021 – fuboTV (NYSE: FUBO) has agreed to acquire France's Molotov SAS. The combined technology capabilities of the two companies will enable fuboTV to launch its streaming platform on a global scale.
News categories: fuboTV, Molotov, David Gandler, JeanDavid Blanc, Africa, Canada, Digital TV, France, MandA, Spain, Streaming, USA
Kenya Broadcast's Signet DTT now distributed via AMOS-17
Nov 3, 2021 – Spacecom (Tel Aviv: SCC) has announced that Kenya Broadcast Corporation’s Signet DTT service is now being broadcast via its AMOS-17 satellite. Spacecom’s also provided professional services to migrate Signet’s DTT service to AMOS-17.
News categories: Spacecom, Kenya Broadcast, Oren Tepper, Job Karimi, Content Distribution, Digital TV, Kenya, Satellite, Terrestrial
MwareTV debuts white label OTT service for ISPs and telcos in Africa
Oct 5, 2021 – MwareTV has revealed the availability to telco operators and ISPs in Africa of an end-to-end TV solution. The customisable solution includes around 100 channels of affordable African content.
News categories: MwareTV, Sander Kerstens, Africa, Content Distribution, Digital TV, IPTV
Showmax and Netflix lead Sub-Saharan Africa's SVOD market
Sep 28, 2021 – According to Dataxis, Showmax and Netflix are the dominant players in the African SVOD market with subscriber shares of 31.6% and 29.7% respectively. Apple TV and Amazon Prime Video have struggled to get a foothold.
News categories: Dataxis, Africa, Digital TV, Market Research, Mobile, Streaming
TV Anywhere and UniqCast power GloTV launch in Nigeria
Sep 4, 2021 – TV Anywhere Africa has partnered with Globacom to launch GloTV in Nigeria. UniqCast provided an OTT platform as part of the turnkey solution, enabling the TV Anywhere service offering.
News categories: UniqCast, TV Anywhere Africa, Globacom, Darko Robic, Obafemi Banigbe, Content Distribution, Digital TV, Nigeria, Streaming
- Discovery+ launching on Sling TV and Dish TV
- FAST Channels TV provides linear channels for Digital TV Cyprus OTT platform
- Video streaming services lost further playtime per user in H1 2022
- BARB releases Establishment Survey data for the UK for Q2 2022
- Simulmedia and TiVo renew data-licensing partnership
- Paramount+ joins Roku Channel’s Premium Subscriptions lineup
- Altice USA residential video RGUs down 85,000 in 2Q 2022
- DISH Network pay TV subscribers down 257,000 in 2Q 2022
- Over six million Android TV OS deployments for iWedia
- RTL Deutschland and Seven.One Entertainment to create addressable TV JV
- Charter residential video customers down 240,000 in 2Q 2022
- Access Advance adds further patent owners
- Disney+ app integrated on Foxtel set top boxes
- ADTH introduces ultra-compact USB ATSC 3.0 receiver
- ATSC 3.0-in-a-box from ENENSYS and Ateme powers WCRN Boston NEXTGEN TV
- Sinclair partners with Korean broadcasters to further NextGen broadcasting
- Linear TV viewing down as online long form viewing time continues to grow
- Auton and Anywave launch ATSC 3.0 broadcast internet test lab in Oregon
- OAN expands CTV reach with NetRange
- Liberty Global, Telefónica, InfraVia Capital to build fibre network in the UK