Software (Media Players, Middleware, Browsers, Stacks, …) News
LG announces organizational restructuring
Nov 24, 2023 – To strengthen LG's smart TV operating system, a webOS SW Development Group will be established with direct reporting to the president of the group's Home Entertainment Company.
News categories: LG Electronics, Park Hyoung-sei, Digital TV, Korea, Smart TV, TV OS, Worldwide
HbbTV updates Operator Application specification
Nov 24, 2023 – The HbbTV Association has released an updated version of the HbbTV Operator Application specification with improved support for IP-delivered linear channels.
News categories: HbbTV Association, Apps, Digital TV, HbbTV, Smart TV, Streaming, UK, Worldwide
iWedia releases test solution for HbbTV device compliance
Nov 22, 2023 – iWedia has extended its product portfolio with HbbTV Harness, a tool enabling interoperability, conformance and certification testing for HbbTV hybrid digital TV receivers.
News categories: iWedia, Hans-Juergen Desor, Digital TV, HbbTV, QoE, Set Top Box, Smart TV, Worldwide
Utomik to bring cloud gaming to VIDAA Smart TVs
Nov 22, 2023 – Utomik has agreed a partnership with VIDAA that will see Utomik being available as a cloud gaming solution in the VIDAA SmartTV OS app store, and Utomik becoming a premium partner in 2024.
News categories: Utomik, VIDAA, Doki Tops, Yaniv Gruenwald, Apps, Digital TV, Gaming, Smart TV, Worldwide
Sencore ARD 3000 receivers gain ATSC 3.0 A3SA DRM support
Nov 16, 2023 – Sencore has announced an update to its ARD 3000 professional receiver decoders, available in version 1.17.0 of the software, that introduces robust descrambling support for ATSC 3.0 A3SA DRM.
News categories: Sencore, ATSC 3, Content Distribution, Digital TV, DRM, Software, USA
LG expands platform offer with new webOS Hub 2.0S
Nov 17, 2023 – LG has announced that the its webOS Hub 2.0S for third party brands is branching out to include smart monitors, as well as providing more options for brands to offer a customizable user experience.
News categories: LG Electronics, Digital TV, Smart TV, TV OS, Worldwide
Over half of U.S. consumers now solely stream content
Nov 16, 2023 – According to Inscape's Q3 2023 TV Market Trends report, in Q3 2023, 94% of total streaming time was driven by viewers who only (64.6%) or mostly (29%) streamed on their smart TVs.
News categories: Inscape, Ken Norcross, Apps, Digital TV, Market Research, Smart TV, TV Services, USA
92% of streamers not fully satisfied with product analytics tools
Nov 15, 2023 – NPAW has released survey findings that reveal that 92% of streaming providers are not fully satisfied with the third-party tools they use to measure product success.
News categories: NPAW, Jordi Bartomeu, Digital TV, Market Research, QoE, Streaming, Worldwide
Sharp launches world's first OLED 4K UHD Roku TV models
Nov 15, 2023 – Sharp has announced availability of a lineup of Sharp Roku TV OLED 4K UHD with HDR10 and LCD 4K UHD TVs as part of its return to the U.S. television market.
News categories: Sharp, Roku, Jim Sanduski, Peter Weedfald, Digital TV, Smart TV, TV OS, USA
- Rakuten TV VOD now available via Zattoo on 1&1 in Germany
- Tele Columbus goes live with PŸUR TV STB featuring 3SS UX
- Two more Miami TV stations launch NEXTGEN TV
- Gracenote launches automotive infotainment metadata platform
- YMEDIA launches tokenized AI Smart TV ad network
- Barb awards metadata, interim overnight programme and commercial logs contracts
- FreeWheel and OrkaTV bring FAST channel access to advertisers
- América Móvil increases shareholding in Telekom Austria
- Tele Columbus taps Simply.TV for advanced metadata
- AOMedia offers spatial audio specification under royalty-free license
- TheViewPoint integrates with FreeWheel
- Australia to introduce 'prominence framework' for local broadcast services
- Telecom and pay-TV revenue in Hong Kong to grow at 1.1% CAGR
- Proximus optimises delivery of Pickx with Velocix Analytics
- Traditional US pay-TV services face continued decline
- Edgio adds player-independent video performance reports
- Flat panel display oversupply to continue into 2024
- Japan SVOD service revenue to reach $6 billion in 2027
- Ateme powers NT's sports video contribution in Asia and beyond
- Global TV shipments to fall below 197 million units in 2023