Digital TV News: Concurrent
castLabs DRM protects online content for PBS
Jan 12, 2022 – castLabs has announced a partnership with Public Broadcasting Service (PBS). The broadcaster will use castLabs’ cloud digital rights management (DRM), DRMtoday, solution to protect its online video content.
News categories: castLabs, PBS, Alec Henthorne, Scott Nourse, Digital TV, DRM, Streaming, USA
OTT revenues poised to surpass pay TV revenues in MENA by 2024
Nov 29, 2021 – According to Dataxis, in MENA's traditional pay TV market the share of DTH subscribers has stagnated in recent years. Simultaneously, the SVOD market has grown by 36% in 2020 and is expected to reach 45.6 million subscribers by 2026.
News categories: Dataxis, Digital TV, IPTV, Market Research, Middle-East, Satellite, Streaming
Sweden adds 350,000 SVOD subscriptions in last 12 months
Nov 9, 2021 – According to Mediavision, growth in the number of SVOD households in Sweden is declining. However, households that already subscribe continue to add services, resulting in 350,000 new subscriptions in the last 12 months.
News categories: Mediavision, Marie Nilsson, Digital TV, Streaming, Subscribers, Sweden
HBO Max goes live in the Nordics and Spain
Oct 26, 2021 – HBO Max has gone live in the Nordics and Spain beginning its 27-territory rollout in Europe. HBO Max brings together series and movies from Warner Bros., HBO, DC, Cartoon Network and Max Originals.
News categories: HBO Max, Denmark, Digital TV, Finland, Norway, Spain, Streaming, Sweden
OTT now at 82% consumer saturation in the U.S.
Oct 14, 2021 – Resonate has issued research on the streaming media behaviors of American TV consumers. According to data from its Ignite platform, 82% of U.S. consumers now watch some form of OTT content, with only 55% still watching cable TV.
News categories: Resonate, Digital TV, Market Research, USA
discovery+ to launch in Canada on October 19
Oct 12, 2021 – Discovery (Nasdaq: DISCA, DISCB, DISCK) has announced that discovery+ will launch in Canada on October 19. The service is available at Can$4.99 (~USD$4) per month, with an ad-free version for Can$6.99 monthly.
News categories: Discovery, Inc, Corus Entertainment, JB Perrette, Doug Murphy, Advertising, Canada, Digital TV, Streaming
Sky Q and Sky Go in the UK get new features
Sep 9, 2021 – Sky Q has announced that new features have been added to its platform in the UK. On Sky Q, more control is available by using voice commands, and Sky Go now supports restart, ad-skipping and downloads for offline viewing.
News categories: Sky, Fraser Stirling, Apps, Digital TV, Satellite, Set Top Box, TV Everywhere, UK
castLabs integrates with SPEKE API version 2.0
Sep 9, 2021 – castLabs has announced that it supports version 2.0 of the Secure Packager and Encoder Key Exchange (SPEKE) API in its leading digital rights management (DRM) licensing solution – DRMtoday.
News categories: castLabs, Content Distribution, Digital TV, DRM, Worldwide
DVB approves commercial requirements for DVB-I over 5G
Jul 23, 2021 – The DVB Project has approved commercial requirements for DVB-I service support over 5G networks and systems. Work has already commenced in DVB's Technical Module to provide extensions to the relevant existing specifications.
News categories: DVB Project, 5G, Content Distribution, Digital TV, Worldwide
- Evoca expands to Denver with Altitude Sports
- European Parliament agrees Digital Services Act (DSA) proposal
- Worldwide semiconductor revenue grew 25.1% in 2021
- MPEG LA offers one-stop license for ATSC 3.0
- discovery+ now available on LG Smart TVs in Canada
- SLING TV comes to VIZIO SmartCast platform
- VideoAI from CTS automates video content metadata generation
- Irdeto brings Server Side Ad Insertion solution to market
- Five million Brits spending full working day on streaming sites
- Breezeline launches cloud-based TV service
- ATSC 3.0 technologies selected for Brazil's TV 3.0 system
- European Audiovisual Observatory publishes report on media ownership in Europe
- MPEG-H selected as audio system for Brazil's TV 3.0 Project
- Altice partners with Ampersand to sell addressable ad inventory
- Cgates goes live with Synamedia video network solutions
- Video Solutions AG launches AVOD channels with Amagi
- Netflix shows signs of slowing in the U.S.
- A-LIVE partners with Minerva to offer fans NFTs of music concert
- Pay TV revenues in the MENA region to decline by $1.5bn
- ViacomCBS migrates from satellite to IP content distribution with CommScope