Digital TV News: Disney+
Omdia expects pay TV & online video subscriptions to pass 3 billion in 2027
Jun 27, 2022 – Research from Omdia shows that online video subscription numbers continue to grow worldwide at impressive levels. Omdia finds that the global total increased from 1.14 billion at end-2020 to 1.34 billion at end-2021, up 17.7% year-on-year.
News categories: Omdia, Adam Thomas, Digital TV, Market Research, Streaming, Worldwide
Irdeto announces results for its 2022 financial year
Jun 23, 2022 – Irdeto has announced results for its 2022 financial year. Irdeto Video Entertainment continued to grow its global footprint, bringing new innovations to the market and supporting the needs of its customers.
News categories: Irdeto, Doug Lowther, Advertising, Android TV, Content Protection, Digital TV, RDK, Results, Set Top Box, Worldwide
UK's BARB releases Establishment Survey data for Q1 2022
Jun 22, 2022 – BARB has released data from its Establishment Survey for Q1 2022. In Q1 2022, the number of UK households with access to an SVOD service reached 19.57 million UK homes (68.5% of households), an increase of almost 500k homes since Q4 2021.
News categories: BARB, Digital TV, Market Research, Streaming, UK
Streaming captures nearly 32% of U.S. TV viewing in May
Jun 16, 2022 – In May, in the U.S., streaming viewership accounted for 31.9% of total television consumption, achieving a record-high share for the third consecutive month according to The Gauge, the monthly total TV viewing snapshot from Nielsen (NYSE: NLSN).
News categories: Nielsen, Digital TV, Market Research, USA
Disney+ now available on webOS LG TVs in more countries
Jun 14, 2022 – The Disney+ app is now available on LG TVs in over forty new countries and territories across Africa, Europe and the Middle East. More LG TV owners can now enjoy Disney, Pixar, Marvel, Star Wars, National Geographic and Star, as long as their TV runs webOS from 2017 or later.
News categories: LG Electronics, Disney Plus, Africa, Apps, Digital TV, Europe, Middle-East, Smart TV, Streaming
Airtel launches all-in-one fiber with 17 OTTs and 350 TV channels
May 30, 2022 – Airtel has launched three all-in-one plans built for the entertainment needs of today’s connected homes. The plans include subscriptions to 17 premium OTTs and 350+ TV channels together with unlimited data over fibre.
News categories: Airtel, Vir Inder Nath, Digital TV, Fibre, India, Set Top Box
Bezeq signs distribution agreement for Disney+
May 22, 2022 – Bezeq has reported that its subsidiary DBS Satellite Services (1998) Ltd. ('yes') has signed an agreement with the Walt Disney Group to distribute Disney+ in Israel for a period of three years.
News categories: Bezeq, Walt Disney, Digital TV, Israel, Satellite, Streaming
Another record month for U.S. streaming in April
May 19, 2022 – The Gauge, the monthly TV viewing snapshot from Nielsen (NYSE: NLSN), has revealed that U.S. streaming reached another record high in April, capturing 30.4% of total TV viewing and surpassing its previous record of 29.7% set in March 2022.
News categories: Nielsen, Broadcast, Cable TV, Digital TV, Market Research, Streaming, USA
U.S. home entertainment spending up 10.9% to $8.7 billion in 1Q 2022
May 13, 2022 – U.S. consumers spent $8.7 billion on movies and television shows consumed at home and on the go in the first quarter of 2022. Spending rose almost 11% from the $7.8 billion consumers spent in the same period of 2021.
News categories: DEG: The Digital Entertainment Group, Digital TV, Market Research, Streaming, USA
- Vewd acquired by Xperi
- FIFA+ to launch on Hisense VIDAA TVs ahead of World Cup
- inext provides Android STB for Kyivstar in Ukraine
- iQIYI implements Unified ID 2.0 identity framework
- 58% of TV subscribers in Portugal are on fibre
- Nielsen Admosphere to implement cross-platform TV audience measurement in the Czech Republic
- ASTA-NET selects CryptoGuard to secure IPTV services in Poland
- Redge Technologies extends contract with TVN Warner Bros. Discovery
- ViX+, TelevisaUnivision’s premium SVOD tier, debuts on July 21
- Eurofins releases updated NEXTGEN TV logo certification test suite
- Xfinity Stream app launches on Apple TV 4K and Apple TV HD
- Tencent Video available in NetRange Smart TV app store
- Gibtelecom launches new TV platform with Netgem
- izzi adds anti-piracy and extended threat defense technologies from Verimatrix
- MEO deploys Velocix CDN and cloud-native VRM platforms
- AminoOS deployed to Vodafone Iceland’s legacy Samsung STBs
- Bhimavaram Community Network chooses Skyworth for 4K RDK IPTV set-tops
- Synaptics selects Allegro DVT VVC compliance streams
- NextGen TV launches in Shreveport, LA
- Sunrise deploys Media Distillery to enhance TV user experience