Digital TV News: Disney+
Disney+ rollout in Southern Asia going strong
Apr 8, 2021 – According to Dataxis, Disney+' deployments in Southern Asia are going strong. With approximately 30 million subscribers already (30% of all Disney+ subscribers worldwide), Disney has surpassed its own expectations.
News categories: Dataxis, Disney+, Asia, Digital TV, Market Research, OTT
SVOD finally taking off in Eastern European
Apr 1, 2021 – Eastern Europe’s SVOD sector is finally taking off, prompted mainly by launches by global platforms such as Disney+ and HBO Max. Digital TV Research forecasts 40 million SVOD subscriptions by 2026; up from 15 million at end-2020.
News categories: Digital TV Research, Simon Murray, Digital TV, Europe, Market Research, OTT
Sky Q update makes voice control even easier
Mar 31, 2021 – Sky Q customers are being treated to another raft of brand-new features and voice innovations, as the award-winning TV box rolls out its latest updates – as well as some great developments to Sky Go.
News categories: Sky, Fraser Stirling, Digital TV, Satellite, Set Top Box, UK, UX
Pandemic gives watch parties foothold in the U.S.
Mar 30, 2021 – A study by The Diffusion Group has found that one-in-seven adult SVOD users cowatched an online TV show or movie with friends or family during the pandemic - a trend that began in March 2020.
News categories: The Diffusion Group, Lauren Kozak, COVID-19, Digital TV, Market Research, USA
Comcast launches Disney+ and ESPN+ on Xfinity
Mar 29, 2021 – Comcast and The Walt Disney Company have announced the start of the rollout of Disney+ and ESPN+ on Xfinity. Disney+ and ESPN+ join a growing collection of streaming services available over the Internet on X1 and Flex.
News categories: Comcast, The Walt Disney Company, Rebecca Heap, Michael Paull, Apps, Digital TV, OTT, Set Top Box, USA
Disney+ passes 100 million subscriber milestone
Mar 9, 2021 – Disney+ has surpassed 100 million global paid subscribers in just 16 months. Since its U.S. launch in November 2019, Disney+ has added Canada, Australia, New Zealand, Europe, Latin America and Singapore.
News categories: Walt Disney, Bob Chapek, Digital TV, OTT, Subscribers, Worldwide
Latin America to add 63 million SVOD subscriptions
Mar 8, 2021 – According to Digital TV Research, Latin America will have 116 million SVOD subscriptions by 2026; up from the 53 million at end-2020. Brazil will contribute 44 million to the 2026 total, followed by Mexico with 29 million.
News categories: Digital TV Research, Simon Murray, Digital TV, Latin America, OTT, Subscribers
Korean and US content power online video consumption in SE Asia
Mar 1, 2021 – Korean, US and local content form the core of online video content consumption across Southeast Asia, according to Media Partners Asia. Korean content demand is strongest in Singapore and Indonesia.
News categories: Media Partners Asia, Dhivya T, Asia, Digital TV, Market Research, OTT
Disney+ to have more subscribers than Netflix
Feb 15, 2021 – Digital TV Research expects that the number of subscribers to Disney+ will overtake the Netflix total in 2026. However, Disney+ will only have more subs than Netflix in one country – India.
News categories: Digital TV Research, Simon Murray, Digital TV, India, Market Research, OTT, Worldwide
- LTN Global launches universal signaling for linear addressable TV advertising
- Worldwide semiconductor revenue grew 10.4% in 2020
- Freeview Australia launches integrated HbbTV platform
- ACCESS licenses Ligada iSuite for NetFront Browser BE HbbTV testing
- PubMatic to integrate Samba TV data for CTV audience targeting
- Chinese suppliers take top three positions in TV panel shipments
- 2021 shaping up to be year of programmatic TV advertising in Europe
- WarnerMedia RIDE app now available for U.S. Toyota and Lexus owners
- discovery+ launches on Xfinity Flex and soon on X1
- CommScope to spin-off Home Networks business
- Disney+ rollout in Southern Asia going strong
- Western Europe pay TV subscribers to fall by 4 million
- Spain gives international travel authorisation for MWC21
- $18 million of Series B funding for IRIS.TV
- 8K TV households to reach 72 million worldwide by 2025
- Finecast extends TV reach with new UK ad inventory partners
- Delta Fiber selects Agama video monitoring and analytics
- CTA and NCTA extend STB energy efficiency agreement to 2025
- Altice USA completes acquisition of Morris Broadband
- MediaTek and Samsung introduce Wi-Fi 6E enabled 8K TV