Digital TV News: Fraunhofer HHI
Bitmovin adds VVC encoding support
Nov 18, 2020 – Bitmovin has incorporated H.266/Versatile Video Coding (VVC) into its encoding solution. Bitmovin is among the first to integrate the codec and does not require device updates or additional licenses.
News categories: Bitmovin, Fraunhofer HHI, Stefan Lederer, Benjamin Bross, Content Distribution, Digital TV, Media Player, Streaming, Worldwide
Fraunhofer HHI presents H.266/VVC video coding
Jul 6, 2020 – Fraunhofer HHI (together with partners including Apple, Ericsson, Intel, Huawei, Microsoft, Qualcomm, and Sony) is celebrating the release and official adoption of the video coding standard H.266/Versatile Video Coding (VVC).
News categories: Fraunhofer HHI, Media Coding Industry Forum, Benjamin Bross, Dr. Detlev Marpe, Content Distribution, Digital TV, Media Player, Worldwide
WDR and Fraunhofer HHI show VVC/H.266 at IFA 2019
Sep 3, 2019 – WDR and the Fraunhofer Heinrich Hertz Institute HHI are collaborating to test the Video Coding possibilities offered by the next international standard VVC/H.266. The pair will show initial results at IFA 2019.
News categories: Fraunhofer, WDR, Content Distribution, Digital TV, Germany, IFA
ETSI launches new group on Augmented Reality
Dec 4, 2017 – ETSI has launched a new Industry Specification Group called Augmented Reality Framework (ISG ARF). The group aims to synchronize efforts and identify key use cases and scenarios for developing an Augmented Reality (AR) framework with relevant components and interfaces.
News categories: ETSI, Muriel Deschanel, Ralf Schäfer, VR, Worldwide
ZDF relies on Rohde & Schwarz and the Fraunhofer HHI for DVB-T2 transition
Jul 5, 2017 – ZDF, the largest public broadcaster in Germany, has selected the R&S AVHE100 encoding and multiplexing solution from Rohde & Schwarz with HEVC technology from the Fraunhofer HHI for its headend implementation.
News categories: Rohde & Schwarz, Fraunhofer HHI, ZDF, Content Distribution, Digital TV, DVB-T2, Germany, Terrestrial
SES, Fraunhofer HHI and Newtec show 360° VR over DVB-S2X at NABShow
Apr 25, 2017 – SES (Paris; Luxembourg: SESG), together with Fraunhofer HHI and Newtec, will demonstrate an immersive Virtual Reality (VR) experience via a live 360-degree Ultra HD VR satellite broadcast at NAB 2017 in Las Vegas.
News categories: SES S.A, Fraunhofer, Newtec, Thomas Wrede, Ralf Schäfer, Hans Massart, Content Distribution, DVB-S2, NABShow, Satellite, USA, VR
SES and Fraunhofer demonstrate VR via satellite at IBC 2016
Sep 5, 2016 – SES (Paris; Luxembourg: SESG) together with Fraunhofer HHI will demonstrate an R&D project at IBC this year showcasing the transmission of a 10K x 2K panoramic video signal via satellite to multiple devices.
News categories: SES S.A, Fraunhofer, Thomas Wrede, Dr. Ralf Schäfer, Digital TV, Europe, IBC, Satellite, VR, Worldwide
CAST introduces Ultra HD-capable video compression cores
Jul 21, 2016 – CAST has introduced the newest generation in its series of IP cores for video and image compression. The AVC/H.264 Encoder Cores are optimized for low-bitrate and low-latency video streaming.
News categories: CAST, Inc, Nikos Zervas, Digital TV, Semiconductor, Silicon IP, Worldwide
Realtime H.265 HEVC video decoder IP coming from CAST
Jun 2, 2014 – CAST has demonstrated a high-performance, low-power, hardware H.265 video decoder core that handles next-generation video steams in real time without need for software computations running on a CPU.
News categories: CAST, Inc, Semiconductor, Silicon IP, Worldwide
- ATEME embeds Viaccess-Orca contribution watermarking
- Deloitte releases results of Digital Media Trends Fall Pulse survey
- RFE receives Android TV Operator Tier certification for IPTV STB
- Disney+ coming to Hisense and Toshiba TVs with VIDAA Smart OS
- Tremor International acquires Spearad
- TekSavvy TV footprint expands across Canada
- Airtel launches Video Platform as a Service product
- Comcast launches Smart TVs based on its XClass TV platform
- ViacomCBS and Altice USA renew distribution agreement
- OTT now at 82% consumer saturation in the U.S.
- MultTV and MwareTV launch multi-tenant TV as a Service in Brazil
- discovery+ now available on LG Smart TVs in the U.S.
- HBO Max to be available at Telia from October 26
- Tata Sky expands quality and availability monitoring with DataMiner
- Slow recovery in European pay TV revenues expected
- Share of smart TVs and UHD TVs in Germany continues to grow
- Vewd enables Smart TV for pay TV operators with Vestel
- LG brings more content to third-party TVs powered by webOS
- 70% of audiences reached via streaming are not reachable via linear
- t4h. Android TV remote control for SKY Brasil