Digital TV News: Time Warner
HBO Max launched in the U.S.
May 27, 2020 – WarnerMedia’s streaming platform, HBO Max, has officially launched. The launch is the culmination of efforts to bring the best of WarnerMedia together to launch the new offering, following AT&T’s acquisition of Time Warner.
News categories: WarnerMedia, HBO Max, Bob Greenblatt, Digital TV, OTT, USA
Global SVoD revenues to grow 25% in 2019 to $36bn
Apr 18, 2019 – SVoD continues to resonate with consumers across the globe. A report from Futuresource Consulting reveals that SVoD already reaches more than 60% of households in North America, 26% in Western Europe, 21% in Asia-Pacific and 19% in LATAM.
News categories: Futuresource Consulting, David Sidebottom, Digital TV, Market Research, OTT, Worldwide
Steady growth masks seismic shifts in US video and TV market
Jan 18, 2019 – Futuresource Consulting has unveiled some seismic shifts in the US entertainment space in two recently published reports. Futuresource estimates that the US video and TV industry saw a 1% rise in consumer spend in 2018.
News categories: Futuresource Consulting, David Sidebottom, Digital TV, Market Research, Smart Home, USA
Cable and telco DVRs cost US consumers ~$1.84B annually due to ineffective power saving
Aug 20, 2018 – Sense has announced that an analysis of digital video recorders (DVRs) from cable and telco providers shows that they consume nearly as much energy while idle as when your TV is on, and their energy saving modes are not effective.
News categories: Sense, Mike Phillips, Cable TV, Digital TV, IPTV, Market Research, Set Top Box, USA
AT&T US up 80k; DTVLA up 140k video subs in 2Q 2018
Jul 24, 2018 – AT&T (NYSE:T) has reported results for the second quarter of 2018. Total US video subscribers grew by 80,000 in the quarter as DIRECTV NOW and U-Verse subscriber growth offset satellite declines. For DIRECTV Latin America, subscribers were up 140,000.
News categories: AT&T, Digital TV, IPTV, Latin America, Mexico, OTT, Results, Satellite, Subscribers, USA
AT&T completes acquisition of Time Warner Inc.
Jun 15, 2018 – AT&T (NYSE:T) has completed its acquisition of Time Warner, bringing together global media and entertainment leaders Warner Bros., HBO and Turner with AT&T’s leadership in technology and its video, mobile and broadband customer relationships.
News categories: AT&T, Time Warner, Randall Stephenson, John Donovan, John Stankey, Jeff Bewkes, Lori Lee, Brian Lesser, Digital TV, MnA, USA, Worldwide
T-Mobile closes Layer3 TV acquisition
Jan 23, 2018 – T-Mobile US (NASDAQ: TMUS) has announced the completion of its acquisition of Layer3 TV. The Layer3 TV team has joined T-Mobile and will drive the Un-carrier’s initiative to launch a disruptive new TV service in 2018.
News categories: T-Mobile, Layer3 TV, John Legere, Digital TV, MnA, Mobile, OTT, USA
U.S. DOJ challenges AT&T/DIRECTV acquisition of Time Warner
Nov 20, 2017 – The U.S. Department of Justice has filed a civil antitrust lawsuit to block AT&T/DIRECTV’s proposed acquisition of Time Warner, saying that the deal would substantially lessen competition resulting in higher prices and less innovation.
News categories: Department of Justice, AT&T, Time Warner, Digital TV, IPTV, Regulation, Satellite, USA
Brazilian antitrust authority approves AT&T acquisition of Time Warner
Oct 18, 2017 – Brazil’s antitrust authority, the Conselho Administrativo de Defesa Econômica (CADE) has approved AT&T’s pending acquisition of Time Warner. CADE’s approval does not require the sale or divestiture of any AT&T or Time Warner assets.
News categories: AT&T, Conselho Administrativo de Defesa Econômica, David McAtee, Brazil, Cable TV, Digital TV, MnA, Regulation
- Ofcom releases Media Nations 2020 report
- RADIO.COM expands connected TV footprint with Vewd
- NAGRA multi-DRM selected for Grupo Express OTT service in Argentina
- V-Nova and NETINT collaborate on MPEG-5 LCEVC transcoding
- ViacomCBS to launch connected video ad platform
- Bell Canada releases Android TV 4K HDR streaming box
- ORS chooses 3SS to deliver simpliTV service in Austria
- Mongolia's Skymedia upgrades to Minerva 10
- Express-80 and Express-103 satellites launched
- INVIDI extends addressable TV partnership with Tata Elxsi
- Finecast brings audience measurement to Australian BVOD platforms
- SVOD subscriptions grew by 28% in 2019
- Strong recovery expected for Mexico’s video entertainment market
- ATEME negotiating acquisition of ANEVIA
- Charter residential video customers up 102,000 in 2Q 2020
- QNET Telecom selects ATEME for video transcoding
- Discovery joins On Addressability dynamic ad insertion initiative
- Comcast cable video subscribers down 477,000 in 2Q 2020
- 3SS and Hoppr enable monetization on Android TV
- Liberty Latin America to acquire Telefónica’s operations in Costa Rica