Digital TV News: Wananchi
iSat Africa takes capacity on Yamal-402 satellite for Central Africa
Sep 22, 2014 – Gazprom Space Systems (GSS) has announced that iSAT Africa, a subsidiary of Wananchi, has contracted to use capacity on its Yamal-402 satellite for the provision of services in the Democratic Republic of Congo and other Central African countries.
News categories: Gazprom Space Systems, iSAT Africa, Dmitriy Sevastiyanov, Santosh Sakpal, Africa, Content Distribution, DRC, Satellite
iSAT Africa partners with Eutelsat for FTA broadcasting in Kenya and East Africa
Sep 12, 2014 – iSAT Africa has selected Eutelsat (Paris:ETL) for free-to-air delivery of African and international digital channels in Kenya and across East Africa in order to accelerate the move towards a fully digital broadcasting environment in the region.
News categories: Eutelsat, iSAT Africa, Rakesh Kukreja, Michel Azibert, Africa, Content Distribution, Digital TV, IBC2023, Kenya, Satellite
Verimatrix to secure Wananchi OTT services
May 19, 2014 – Verimatrix has extended its partnership with the Wananchi Group to secure the revenues of Zuku TV across DTH satellite, digital cable and IP-over-GPON networks, and later this year via over-the-top video services.
News categories: Verimatrix, Wananchi, Richard Alden, Steve Oetegenn, ANGA COM, Content Protection, Digital TV, Kenya, Streaming
Zuku estimated to have 172,000 subscribers at end-2013
May 7, 2014 – A new report published by Dataxis estimates that Zuku, the East African pay-TV platfom, had a total of 130,000 DTH subscribers across three markets at the end of 2013 plus a further 42,000 cable TV subscribers in Kenya.
News categories: Dataxis, Wananchi, IPTV, Kenya, Market Research, Satellite, Subscribers, Tanzania, Uganda
Wananchi takes Zuku TV to Malawi
Apr 1, 2014 – Wananchi Group has confirmed plans to venture into Malawi by launching Zuku TV as part of its strategy to grow its TV operations.
News categories: Wananchi, Richard Alden, Digital TV, Malawi, Satellite
1.2 million paying HD+ households in Germany at end-June 2013
Jul 26, 2013 – SES S.A. (Paris; Luxembourg: SESG) has reported results for the six months ended 30 June 2013. In Germany, the HD+ platform continued to develop well, with 2.7 million active households at the end of June 2013, of which 1.2 million are paying households.
News categories: SES S.A, Content Distribution, Germany, Results, Satellite, Subscribers
Digital TV penetration accelerates in Sub-Saharan Africa
Jan 8, 2013 – About 35.3% of TV homes in Sub-Saharan Africa took digital signals by end-2012, according to a report from Digital TV Research. The Digital TV Sub-Saharan Africa report forecasts that digital TV penetration will rocket to 95.5% by 2018 - with household numbers quadrupling to 49.0 million.
News categories: Digital TV Research, Africa, Angola, Côte d'Ivoire, Digital TV, Ghana, Kenya, Market Research, Nigeria, South Africa, Subscribers, Tanzania, Uganda, Zambia
International Datacasting Secures Wananchi Contracts and Financing for DTH Broadcast Service
Jul 25, 2011 – International Datacasting Corporation (TSX:IDC) has announced a vendor financing package, and follow on contracts with the Wananchi Group for the rollout of a Direct-to-Home (DTH) broadcast service in Africa.
News categories: International Datacasting, Wananchi, Content Distribution, Finance, Kenya, Satellite
Wananchi satellite service to launch in Uganda next month
Jul 18, 2011 – Wananchi is to launch its Zuku TV satellite service in Uganda next month. As part of the launch, Wananchi is offering to replace the set-top boxes owned by those who subscribed to the GTV DTH service that failed in 2009.
News categories: Wananchi, Digital TV, Satellite, Set Top Box, Uganda
- Telecom and pay-TV revenue in Hong Kong to grow at 1.1% CAGR
- Proximus optimises delivery of Pickx with Velocix Analytics
- Traditional US pay-TV services face continued decline
- Edgio adds player-independent video performance reports
- Flat panel display oversupply to continue into 2024
- Japan SVOD service revenue to reach $6 billion in 2027
- Ateme powers NT's sports video contribution in Asia and beyond
- Global TV shipments to fall below 197 million units in 2023
- WSTS revises semiconductor growth projections slightly upward
- Go Addressable becomes industry trade body
- NorDig releases IRD 3.2.1 and Test Plan 3.2.1 specs
- Improved tool helps ensure interoperability of DASH delivery
- Growth in global SVOD subscriptions to continue
- LG announces organizational restructuring
- HbbTV updates Operator Application specification
- Bouygues Telecom streams video in Multicast ABR with Broadpeak
- iWedia releases test solution for HbbTV device compliance
- Utomik to bring cloud gaming to VIDAA Smart TVs
- Avid provides Iceland's RÚV with ingest and playout solution
- Global pay TV penetration to fall for the first time in 2024