Digital TV News: Disney+
More and more Germans taking pay TV and VOD subscriptions
Jul 21, 2020 – According to VAUNET the number of pay-TV subscribers in Germany rose to 8 million in 2019 (2018: 7.8 million), with SVoD consumers numbering 13.4 million in the final quarter (Q4 2018: 6.9 mill.).
News categories: VAUNET, Frank Giersberg, Katharina Behrends, Elke Walthelm, Nicole Agudo Berbel, Henning Tewes, Tim Werner, Digital TV, Germany, Market Research, OTT, Subscribers
Subscription TV soars during Australian lockdown
Jul 21, 2020 – New data from Roy Morgan reveals that Australians added new subscription TV services at an astonishing rate during the lockdown period, with subscriptions up 878,000, or +5.9%, in only three months.
News categories: Roy Morgan, Michele Levine, Australia, Cable TV, COVID-19, Digital TV, Market Research, OTT, Satellite
WOW! launches WOW! tv+ in Chicago, Evansville and Detroit
Jul 16, 2020 – WOW! Internet, Cable & Phone (NYSE: WOW) has announced Chicago, Evansville and Detroit as the latest markets to offer its IP-delivered video choice, WOW! tv+, for its high-speed data (HSD) customers.
News categories: WOW!, Teresa Elder, Android TV, Digital TV, IPTV, USA
Tata Sky adds ZEE5 to its Binge+ Android STB offer
Jul 9, 2020 – Tata Sky has extended its partnership with ZEE5 to include its Android-enabled smart set-top box which delivers content from live linear television and a host of OTT apps onto the TV.
News categories: Tata Sky, ZEE5, Apps, Digital TV, India, OTT, Satellite, Set Top Box
Sky Q adds smart new features
Jul 8, 2020 – Sky is adding new features to its Sky Q set-top box. An expanded view UI, simple new show and sports centres, intuitive smart buttons and improved voice discovery will make it easier to browse, find and watch TV.
News categories: Sky, Fraser Stirling, Digital TV, Satellite, Set Top Box, UK, UX
Market turbulence to boost UK digital video market
Jul 1, 2020 – According to Futuresource Consulting, 2020 continues to be a volatile year for the UK video and TV entertainment industry, with accelerated adoption across all OTT sectors and a lockdown boom that has played to the strengths of content hungry UK consumers.
News categories: Futuresource Consulting, David Sidebottom, COVID-19, Digital TV, Market Research, UK
U.S. consumers spend nearly seven hours per week watching online video
Jul 1, 2020 – Parks Associates has announced research showing that the number of hours per week U.S. consumers spend watching online video has almost doubled from 3.6 hours per week in 2017 to nearly seven hours per week in 2020.
News categories: Parks Associates, Dr. Kenneth Wacks, Digital TV, Market Research, USA
Churn rate for U.S. OTT services at 41% in Q1 2020
Jun 29, 2020 – Parks Associates reports the churn rate for U.S. OTT services increased from 35% in Q1 2019 to 41% in Q1 2020. During the COVID-19 crisis, more than two in five US broadband households trialed an OTT service.
News categories: Parks Associates, Steve Nason, COVID-19, Digital TV, Market Research, OTT, USA
Netflix, Hulu user numbers fell as COVID-19 measures were relaxed
Jun 25, 2020 – The surge in users of subscription video-on-demand (SVOD) services during the stay-at-home period was not always sustained once people were allowed to move around more freely, according to Strategy Analytics.
News categories: Strategy Analytics, Michael Goodman, David Mercer, COVID-19, Digital TV, Market Research, OTT, USA
- INVIDI extends addressable TV partnership with Tata Elxsi
- SVOD subscriptions grew by 28% in 2019
- ATEME negotiating acquisition of ANEVIA
- Charter residential video customers up 102,000 in 2Q 2020
- QNET Telecom selects ATEME for video transcoding
- Discovery joins On Addressability dynamic ad insertion initiative
- 3SS and Hoppr enable monetization on Android TV
- Liberty Latin America to acquire Telefónica’s operations in Costa Rica
- KDDI selects VisualOn media player for au Smart Pass
- PMG and American Tower partner to accelerate ATSC 3.0 SFN deployment
- Eurofins updates testing services for CI Plus 2.0
- Eutelsat 8 West B selected by Strong Roots for Ethiopian FTA DTH
- Yes partners with Synamedia to achieve broadcast-equivalent latency
- Seven broadcasters launch NEXTGEN TV in Portland, OR
- Global TV panel shipments decline 8.4% YoY in 1H20
- Linear TV remains dominant form of television viewership in 2019
- ACCESS adds NetRange App Store to its in-vehicle infotainment offer
- iSpot provides attribution and OTT measurement for OpenAP ads
- Humax announces Android TV STB supporting AV1 and HDR10
- Kaltura to power CETIN's wholesale Cloud TV service for the CEE region