Digital TV News: Disney+
Global SVOD subscriptions to grow by 485 million from 2021 to 2027
May 16, 2022 – According to Digital TV Research, Global SVOD subscriptions will increase by 485 million between 2021 and 2027 to reach 1.69 billion. Six US-based platforms will have 988 million paying SVOD subscribers by 2027, up from 612 million in 2021.
News categories: Digital TV Research, Simon Murray, Digital TV, Streaming, Subscribers, Worldwide
7.9 million Disney+ subscribers added in 1Q 2022
May 11, 2022 – The Walt Disney Company (NYSE: DIS) has reported earnings for its second quarter ended April 2, 2022. The company increased its total streaming subscriptions to 205.6 million, with 7.9 million Disney+ subscribers added in the quarter.
News categories: Walt Disney Company, Bob Chapek, Digital TV, Results, Streaming, Subscribers, USA, Worldwide
Fetch TV rolls out Mighty Gen 4 personal video recorder
May 2, 2022 – Fetch TV has begun rolling out its latest set-top box, the Mighty Gen 4 Personal Video Recorder (PVR). The Mighty Gen 4 PVR is powered by the latest chipset and Wi-Fi technology, and is an upgrade to the Mighty Gen 3 PVR.
News categories: Fetch TV, Scott Lorson, Adam Turner, Trevor Long, Stephen Fenech, Australia, Digital TV, DVR, Terrestrial
Horowitz sees slight drop in SVOD subscriptions in the U.S.
Apr 27, 2022 – A Horowitz Research study has found a slight drop in subscriptions to SVOD services in the U.S., even as the number of SVOD services has increased over the past few years and as the share of streaming compared to traditional viewing grows.
News categories: Horowitz Research, Adriana Waterston, Digital TV, Market Research, USA
MultiChoice to bring Disney+ to South African DStv subscribers
Apr 25, 2022 – MultiChoice has announced that it will bring Disney’s direct-to-consumer streaming service, Disney+, to DStv subscribers in South Africa. Disney+ will launch on 18 May 2022 and will be available to DStv subscribers via the Explora Ultra decoder.
News categories: MultiChoice, Walt Disney, Calvo Mawela, Christine Service, Apps, Digital TV, Satellite, Set Top Box, South Africa
Virgin Media O2 launches broadband streaming box
Apr 26, 2022 – Virgin Media O2 has unveiled Stream from Virgin Media, a way for its customers to bring together their favourite TV channels, video apps and streaming subscriptions all in one place via a small box powered entirely by the company's broadband.
News categories: Virgin Media, David Bouchier, Digital TV, IPTV, Set Top Box, UK
Eastern Europe to add 20 million SVOD subscriptions
Apr 25, 2022 – According to Digital TV Research, this is a massive year for Eastern European SVOD, with rollouts from Disney+, SkyShowtime and HBO Max. The region will have 43 million SVOD subscriptions by 2027; up from 23 million at end-2021.
News categories: Digital TV Research, Simon Murray, Digital TV, Europe, Market Research, Streaming
KPN offers Disney+, ESPN entertainment combination
Apr 21, 2022 – KPN has announced that its entertainment offer has been expanded with a unique combination of streaming service Disney+ and the ESPN-TV sports channels. As a result, customers can now add Disney+ to their entertainment package.
News categories: KPN, Disney, Jochem de Jong, Bart Verhoeven, Digital TV, Netherlands, Streaming
Nielsen U.S. snapshot shows streaming had largest share yet in March
Apr 21, 2022 – The Gauge, the monthly total TV and streaming snapshot from Nielsen (NYSE: NLSN), showed that streaming captured its largest share of total television usage ever in March, making up nearly 30% of overall viewing time.
News categories: Nielsen, Cable TV, Digital TV, Market Research, Streaming, USA
- CTV surpasses mobile's share of global video impressions
- Global SVOD subscriptions to grow by 485 million from 2021 to 2027
- European VOD Coalition officially inaugurated
- 7.9 million Disney+ subscribers added in 1Q 2022
- Gaumont launches SVOD on Netgem Content-as-a-Service platform
- AMC+ coming to Orange Spain's entertainment offering in June
- Liberty Global video subscribers down 21,900 in Q1 2022
- First TVs powered by TiVo Stream OS expected in late 2023/early 2024
- AMC adds 431,000 paid streaming subscribers in 1Q 2022
- NOS Portugal adds 2,100 pay TV subscribers in 1Q 2022
- Chicken Soup for the Soul Entertainment to acquire Redbox
- Tivù launches USB-based CAM supporting 4K TV with SmarDTV
- Mango TV added to NetRange Smart TV App Store
- Samba TV releases State of Viewership Report for Q1 2022
- Globecast, France Télévisions and Orange trial 4K channel and 5G contribution in La Réunion
- TSA selects Agama for TV channel service and quality assurance
- M7 Group integrates pay TV service into TP Vision smart TVs
- 61% of U.S. livestreaming viewers watch sports
- Global telecoms market saw growth in 2021 except in pay TV
- UK's DTG publishes 'State of the Nation' report