Digital TV News: European Parliament
EU proposes new cybersecurity rules for hardware and software products
Sep 15, 2022 – The European Commission has presented a proposal for a Cyber Resilience Act. It introduces mandatory cybersecurity requirements for products with digital elements, throughout their whole lifecycle.
News categories: European Commission, Digital TV, EU, Hardware, Regulation, Software
EU proposes Chips Act to support semiconductor security of supply
Feb 8, 2022 – The European Commission has proposed a set of measures, the Chips Act, to ensure the EU's security of supply, resilience and technological leadership in semiconductor technologies and applications.
News categories: European Commission, EU, Regulation, Semiconductor
European Parliament agrees Digital Services Act (DSA) proposal
Jan 20, 2022 – MEPs agreed a draft set of measures to tackle illegal content, to ensure platforms are held accountable for their algorithms, and improve content moderation. The text will be used as the mandate to negotiate with the French presidency of the Council, representing member states.
News categories: European Parliament, Advertising, Big Data, Content Distribution, Digital TV, EU, Streaming
JW Player acquires VUALTO
May 6, 2021 – JW Player has announced that it is acquiring VUALTO to complement its scalable video delivery offering with live streaming and DRM services for broadcasters. VUALTO will also expand JW Player’s customer base.
News categories: JW Player, VUALTO, Dave Otten, Camilla Young, DRM, MandA, Media Player, Worldwide
Iliad announces intention to acquire Poland's Play
Sep 21, 2020 – The Strategy Committee of HoldCo and the Board of Directors of iliad have approved the launch of a public tender offer for all of the shares making up the capital of the Polish telecom operator, Play.
News categories: iliad, Play, Thomas Reynaud, Jean-Marc Harion, Digital TV, IPTV, MandA, Poland
EU agrees rules to facilitate access to online TV across borders
Dec 13, 2018 – EU negotiators have agreed on proposed copyright legislation for TV and radio programmes. The new rules will make it easier for European broadcasters to make programmes available on their live TV or catch-up services online, and will simplify distribution by retransmission operators.
News categories: European Commission, Andrus Ansip, Mariya Gabriel, Digital TV, EU, Regulation, Streaming
EU agrees proposal for revised Audiovisual Media Services Directive
Apr 26, 2018 – The European Parliament, Council and Commission have reached a preliminary political agreement on the main elements of revised rules to apply to audiovisual media across Europe.
News categories: European Commission, European Parliament, European Council, Andrus Ansip, Mariya Gabriel, Digital TV, EU, Regulation
EU Court of Justice says offering copies of TV programmes in the cloud must be authorised by the copyright holder
Nov 29, 2017 – VCAST makes available to its customers via the internet recordings of Italian terrestrial TV programmes. The Court of Justice was asked whether VCAST’s service, provided without the consent of the copyright owner or holder of related rights, is compatible with the EU's Copyright Directive.
News categories: Court of Justice, Digital TV, EU, Italy, Regulation, Streaming, UK
EBU urges EU policy makers to set out clear privacy rules for audience measurement
Jun 21, 2017 – As the European Parliament examines future ePrivacy Regulation, the EBU has expressed concern at potential restrictions on the ability of third parties to gather audience measurement data on behalf of broadcasters.
News categories: EBU, Big Data, Digital TV, EU, Market Research, Regulation
- Flat panel display oversupply to continue into 2024
- Japan SVOD service revenue to reach $6 billion in 2027
- Ateme powers NT's sports video contribution in Asia and beyond
- Global TV shipments to fall below 197 million units in 2023
- WSTS revises semiconductor growth projections slightly upward
- Go Addressable becomes industry trade body
- NorDig releases IRD 3.2.1 and Test Plan 3.2.1 specs
- Improved tool helps ensure interoperability of DASH delivery
- Growth in global SVOD subscriptions to continue
- LG announces organizational restructuring
- HbbTV updates Operator Application specification
- Bouygues Telecom streams video in Multicast ABR with Broadpeak
- iWedia releases test solution for HbbTV device compliance
- Utomik to bring cloud gaming to VIDAA Smart TVs
- Avid provides Iceland's RÚV with ingest and playout solution
- Global pay TV penetration to fall for the first time in 2024
- KC Global Media launches HD FAST channel on JioTV and JioTV+
- Telstra Broadcast Services and BT pool media network footprints
- Fórum SBTVD selects ATSC 3.0 physical layer for Phase 3 field testing
- MainConcept launches live encoder with VVC and LCEVC