Digital TV News: Shaw
RDK now powers 25 million STBs and broadband gateways
May 17, 2017 – At the 2017 Connected TV World Summit, RDK Management provided an update on the adoption of RDK (Reference Design Kit) software. RDK now powers more than 25 million set-top boxes and broadband gateways globally.
News categories: RDK Management, Steve Heeb, Cable TV, Digital TV, IBC2022, Market Research, RDK, Worldwide
Shaw makes BlueSky TV available across Western Canada
Apr 5, 2017 – Shaw Communications has announced the availability of Shaw BlueSky TV across Western Canada. With its voice-activated remote and easy-to-use guide Shaw BlueSky TV transforms how customers experience television.
News categories: Shaw Communications, Jay Mehr, Cable TV, Canada, Digital TV, Set Top Box
Cord-cutting in Canada reaches record level in 2016
Mar 15, 2017 – Canada’s publicly traded television service providers as a whole continued to lose a record number of TV subscribers in 2016 but the trends shifted as the cable companies lost considerably fewer subscribers and the IPTV providers saw subscriber growth slow significantly.
News categories: Boon Dog Professional Services, Mario Mota, Cable TV, Canada, Digital TV, IPTV, Market Research, Satellite, Subscribers
Voice-activated Shaw BlueSky TV launches in Vancouver
Feb 1, 2017 – Shaw Communications has announced the launch of Shaw BlueSky TV. Shaw BlueSky TV combines an easy-to-use interface with voice-activated navigation, content recommendations, customized apps, and social media features.
News categories: Shaw Communications, Jay Mehr, Cable TV, Canada, Set Top Box, UX
Canada pay TV industry announces STB efficiency agreement
Jan 17, 2017 – Canadian Pay TV service providers along with set-top box manufacturers have finalized a voluntary agreement committing themselves to improving the energy efficiency of set-top boxes.
News categories: CEEVA, Cable TV, Canada, Digital TV, IPTV, Satellite, Set Top Box
Shaw Communications unveils X1-based BlueSky TV
Jan 11, 2017 – Shaw Communications has unveiled Shaw BlueSky TV, a premium television product for Canadians powered by Comcast’s X1 platform. BlueSky TV's voice-controlled remote makes it easier than ever for customers to discover content.
News categories: Shaw Communications, Comcast, Brad Shaw, Jay Mehr, Tony Werner, Cable TV, Canada, Content Distribution, Digital TV, Middleware
Record year ahead for U.S. consumer technology industry
Jan 4, 2017 – Increasing consumer enthusiasm for the Internet of Things (IoT) and adoption of emerging technology will drive the U.S. consumer technology industry to $292 billion in retail revenues in 2017, according to the Consumer Technology Association (CTA).
News categories: Consumer Technology Association, Gary Shapiro, CES2023, Digital TV, Market Research, Metaverse, Smart Home, Smart TV, USA
shomi to shut down on November 30, 2016
Sep 26, 2016 – shomi has announced that the streaming service will be shutting down operations as of November 30, 2016.
News categories: shomi, David Asch, Canada, Digital TV, Streaming
shomi selects ThinkAnalytics personalized search and recommendations
Sep 1, 2016 – ThinkAnalytics has announced that its recommendations engine has been selected by Canadian SVOD leader shomi. shomi believes the combination of an elegant user interface and personalized recommendations will distance it from rivals.
News categories: ThinkAnalytics, shomi, Peter Docherty, Ann Tebo, Advertising, Canada, Digital TV, Streaming
- J:COM deploys Qwilt Open Caching solution
- Breezeline Stream TV comes to Cleveland and Columbus, Ohio
- Sale of Millicom to Apollo Global Management and Claure Group in discussion
- Comcast cable video subscribers down 2.034 million in 2022
- Disney strikes streaming measurement deal with EDO
- ITV increases investment in InfoSum
- German study shows high losses from TV piracy
- European Audiovisual Observatory publishes report on media ownership in Europe
- NBA games to be available in VR through Meta Horizon Worlds
- Simply.TV signs metadata deal with YouSee
- Verizon FIOS consumer video subscribers down 80,000 in 4Q 2022
- Unified TV ad measurement to be launched in Finland
- KPN introduces KPN TV+ streaming service
- ENENSYS releases ATSC 3.0 modulator for digital TV transmitters
- iWedia report reveals drivers behind set-top box OS selection
- Fabric acquires Internet Video Archive (IVA)
- MENA pay TV subscriptions to grow by 2 million over next 6 years
- Prime Video and DAZN sign global distribution partnership
- CIMM, 4A's and TVB looking at action plan for U.S. local TV measurement
- U.S. TV viewing remained high in December