Digital TV News: Telenet
Eltrona merges with SFR-Coditel in Luxembourg
Feb 25, 2020 – Eltrona has merged with SFR-Coditel, owned by Telenet (Brussels: TNET). Eltrona shareholders now hold 50% +1 share and Telenet 50% -1 of the merged entity. The deal means that Eltrona becomes a cable operator with coverage of the whole of Luxembourg.
News categories: Eltrona, Telenet, SFR-Coditel, Paul Denzle, John Porter, Cable TV, Digital TV, Luxembourg, MnA
Europe is not cord-cutting right across the board
Jun 13, 2019 – The European Audiovisual Observatory has published a report on pay audiovisual services in Europe, covering the state of play for the two main segments: linear pay TV and SVOD. The report also analyses the main factors likely to influence their development.
News categories: European Audiovisual Observatory, Laura Ene, Cable TV, Digital TV, Europe, IPTV, Market Research, OTT, Satellite
Telenet introduces STB with voice control, Netflix and YouTube integration
Apr 25, 2019 – Telenet has begun the rollout of its latest decoder. The main new features are voice remote control, cloud storage of recorded programs, and integration of Netflix and YouTube. The TV box also has a totally revamped 'look and feel'.
News categories: Telenet, Belgium, Cable TV, Digital TV, OTT, Set Top Box, UX
Telenet designs new YUGO bundle entirely around the smartphone
Feb 12, 2019 – Millennials and digital savvies continually switch between screens and platforms for their entertainment. With YUGO, Telenet is focusing on this specific target group with their YUGO app acting as the starting point for the overall TV experience.
News categories: Telenet, Jeroen Bronselaer, Apps, Belgium, Digital TV, OTT, Smartphone
The number of cable homes in Europe grew once again in 2017
Nov 7, 2018 – The number of cable homes in Europe once again grew in 2017, reaching 69.2 million and comprising 36.3% of all TV households. This was the largest number of cable homes in Europe since 2009 according to IHS Markit (Nasdaq: INFO) and Cable Europe.
News categories: IHS Markit, Cable Europe, Maria Rua Aguete, Cable TV, Digital TV, Europe, Market Research, Subscribers
Telenet and Media Distillery partner to improve timeshifted viewing experience
Sep 12, 2018 – Telenet and Media Distillery are announcing at IBC that they are using AI to improve the viewing experience for users of PVRs and replay services. The solution is based on Media Distillery's technology for accurately identifying when programmes actually start.
News categories: Media Distillery, Telenet, Roland Sars, Dimme Pleysier, Belgium, Big Data, Digital TV, IBC2020, UX
EU cable industry revenue grows to €23.5 billion in 2016
Dec 4, 2017 – The European cable industry continued to show resiliency and steady growth in 2016, increasing 4 percent from the prior year, to €23.5 billion, according to IHS Markit (Nasdaq: INFO) and Cable Europe.
News categories: IHS Markit, Cable Europe, Maria Rua Aguete, Cable TV, Digital TV, EU, Market Research
Telenet acquires SFR BeLux from Altice
Dec 22, 2016 – Telenet (Brussels: TNET) has entered into an agreement to acquire Coditel Brabant for €400 million from Coditel Holding, a subsidiary of Altice. Coditel Brabant, operating under the SFR brand, provides cable services in Brussels, Wallonia and Luxembourg and mobile telephony in Belgium.
News categories: Telenet, Altice, John Porter, Belgium, Cable TV, Digital TV, Luxembourg, MnA
9 million broadband subscribers with DOCSIS 3.1 by 2017
Jan 28, 2016 – ABI Research has forecast that there will be approximately 9 million broadband subscribers using DOCSIS 3.1 equipment by 2017, representing slightly more than 1% of total fixed broadband subscriptions worldwide.
News categories: ABI Research, Michael Inouye, Sam Rosen, Cable Modem, DOCSIS, Market Research, Subscribers, Worldwide
- Comscore finds U.S. VOD transactions peaked in April
- Vewd brings the full broadcast experience to Smart TVs
- Dataxis compares Europe, Latam with U.S. AVOD market
- HEVC Advance royalty rates to remain at current levels
- Alphonso signs ACR distribution deals with Seiki and Skyworth
- THEO Technologies and Synamedia form HESP Alliance
- U.S. consumers spend nearly seven hours per week watching online video
- NEXTGEN TV launches at four TV stations in Salt Lake City
- FCC designates Huawei and ZTE as national security threats
- STARZPLAY available from UPC Switzerland
- Verizon Media launches TV tune-in attribution with Inscape
- Eros Now partners with Dish TV India
- NexGuard watermarking integrated into AWS Elemental MediaConvert
- TRAI reports pay TV numbers for India at end-2019
- Altibox takes Verimatrix security into the Cloud
- Consolidated Communications introduces CCiTV in Texas
- Brat TV chooses Amagi to expand streaming TV footprint
- Churn rate for U.S. OTT services at 41% in Q1 2020
- Origin Broadband launches Origin TV in the UK with Netgem
- Mobile operators to generate 170 million SVOD subscribers