Digital TV News: Sky
COVID-19 pandemic to reduce global TV brand shipments by 5.8% in 2020
Mar 27, 2020 – In Q1 2020, the TV industry was under pressure both on the production and demand sides. TrendForce has reduced its expectation of global shipments for Q1 2020 to 44.6 million units, down by 8.6% from the pre-COVID-19 prediction.
News categories: TrendForce, Digital TV, Market Research, Smart TV, Worldwide
Disney+ rolls out in Europe
Mar 24, 2020 – Disney+ has launched in the UK, Ireland, Germany, Italy, Spain, Austria, and Switzerland. The service will launch in France on April 7th. Audiences can stream Disney+ on nearly all major mobile and connected TV devices.
News categories: Disney+, Kevin Mayer, Apps, Austria, Digital TV, Games Console, Germany, Ireland, Italy, OTT, Set Top Box, Smart TV, Smartphone, Spain, Switzerland, Tablet, UK
TV panel shipments decreased 3.5% M-o-M in February
Mar 24, 2020 – According to TrendForce, monthly TV panel shipments decreased by 3.5% MoM in February, reaching 20.073 million units. The COVID-19 pandemic’s effect on labor, logistics, and material supply remains a gradual process.
News categories: TrendForce, China, Digital TV, Korea, Market Research, Smart TV, Worldwide
OTT service churn in 2019 reached 35%, up from 28% in 2018
Mar 10, 2020 – Parks Associates has found that the churn rate among all OTT services was 35% in 2019, an increase of 25% from 2018. Churn among vMVPDs (virtual multichannel video programming distributors or online pay-TV providers) was 81% in 2019.
News categories: Parks Associates, Steve Nason, Digital TV, Market Research, OTT, USA, Worldwide
Sky bundles Sky Q with Netflix for £25pm
Mar 4, 2020 – Sky has launched Sky Ultimate TV on Sky Q - a bundle that brings together Sky shows and Netflix for £25 a month. Sky Q also includes live TV, catch-Up TV, BBC iPlayer, ITV Hub and All 4, as well as apps like YouTube, Spotify and XITE.
News categories: Sky, Liz Wynn, Apps, Digital TV, OTT, Satellite, UK
Sky signs deal for Disney+
Mar 3, 2020 – Sky and Disney have announced a deal making Disney+ available for purchase in the UK and Ireland on Sky Q, to be followed by NOW TV in the coming months. The deal also includes the first-pay window for 20th Century titles.
News categories: Sky, Disney, Jeremy Darroch, Kevin Mayer, Apps, Digital TV, Europe, OTT, Satellite, Set Top Box
Comscore segments added to IRIS.TV's Contextual Video Marketplace
Mar 2, 2020 – Comscore (NASDAQ: SCOR) and IRIS.TV have announced that Comscore’s brand safety and contextual categorization segments are now available for activation in IRIS.TV's Contextual Video Marketplace.
News categories: IRIS.TV, Comscore, Richie Hyden, Rachel Gantz, Todd Randak, David Clutter, Jeremy Steinberg, Advertising, Big Data, Digital TV, OTT, USA
Disney+ has the potential to make a strong entrance in the UK
Feb 5, 2020 – According to Goldmedia, up to 7.6 million VoD fans in the UK are indicating that they want to use Disney+ when it launches at the end of March. UK VoD users subscribe to an average of only two streaming services and want to spend no more than around £17 a month on them.
News categories: Goldmedia, VoD-Ratings, Dr. Florian Kerkau, Digital TV, Market Research, OTT, UK
Sky New Zealand completes purchase of Lightbox
Feb 3, 2020 – Sky has confirmed that it has completed the purchase of entertainment streaming service Lightbox from Spark. The deal enables Sky to merge Lightbox with its own Neon service, creating a super-charged service for New Zealand customers.
News categories: Sky New Zealand, Sophie Moloney, Digital TV, MnA, New Zealand, OTT
- Asia Pacific set for 417 million SVOD subscribers
- Comscore sees notable rise in U.S. streaming usage
- Movies Anywhere app comes to LG Smart TVs
- Singtel puts HOOQ into liquidation
- COVID-19 pandemic to reduce global TV brand shipments by 5.8% in 2020
- Six million viewers for Italy's tivùsat
- Wicket Labs adds $1.9m of extra funding
- NENT Group to launch Viaplay in Iceland on April 1st
- TV antenna usage in US broadband households up 25% in 2019
- Coronavirus expected to add 5% to global VOD subscriptions in 2020
- COVID-19 response to bolster cloud gaming revenues
- iQIYI to launch service experience Testing Stations across Asia
- Switch Media's server-side ad insertion integrated with SpringServe's ad platform
- Verimatrix VCAS pre-integrated with Broadcom's Android TV platform
- Sinclair Broadcast adopts Qligent Vision Compliance Monitoring and Analysis
- Comscore reports surge in U.S. in-home data usage
- Limelight adds serverless computing to its edge services platform
- Disney+ rolls out in Europe
- TV panel shipments decreased 3.5% M-o-M in February
- Connected TV landscape is shifting away from paid subscriptions