Digital TV News: Brett Sappington
U.S. standalone pay TV ARPU declined 10% from 2016 to 2018
Aug 1, 2019 – Research from Parks Associates finds that U.S. average standalone pay-TV ARPU declined 10% from 2016 to 2018, with consumer-reported monthly spending on pay TV declining from $84 to $76. Pricing pressure is forcing increasing conflict in carriage negotiations.
News categories: Parks Associates, Elizabeth Parks, Brett Sappington, Digital TV, Market Research, USA
27% of US broadband households engage in some form of piracy or account sharing
Jul 16, 2019 – Parks Associates research forecasts that in 2019, U.S. OTT and pay-TV companies will see $9.1 billion in lost revenue due to piracy and account sharing. This number is expected to grow to $12.5 billion in 2024, a growth rate of 38%.
News categories: Parks Associates, Brett Sappington, Content Protection, Digital TV, Market Research, USA
Potential U.S. broadband cord-cutters watch over six hours of mobile video per week
Jul 1, 2019 – According to Parks Associates, U.S. broadband households highly likely to cut the cord in the next 12 months watch more than six hours of video content on their mobile phone a week, compared to 2.5 hours among all U.S. broadband households.
News categories: Parks Associates, Brett Sappington, Broadband, Market Research, Mobile, USA
Share of UK broadband households planning to cancel pay-TV has doubled
May 1, 2019 – Research from Parks Associates finds that the percentage of UK broadband households stating that they are likely to cancel their pay-TV service has increased to 24% in late 2018 from 12% in late 2015. The intent to cancel is higher among households that watch online video services.
News categories: Parks Associates, Brett Sappington, Digital TV, Market Research, UK
Over half of US broadband households who trial SVOD become paying subscribers
Apr 3, 2019 – Parks Associates has found that 58% of US broadband households who trial an OTT video subscription service convert to paying subscribers. Conversion from free trial to paying subscriber is higher among consumers who trial multiple services.
News categories: Parks Associates, Brett Sappington, Digital TV, Market Research, NABShow, OTT, USA
586 million OTT video service subscriptions globally by 2024
Jan 23, 2019 – According to Parks Associates, OTT services will accelerate their global expansion over the next five years, with more than 310 million connected households having at least one OTT service by 2024.
News categories: Parks Associates, Brett Sappington, Digital TV, Market Research, OTT, Subscribers, Worldwide
Consumers far more likely to recommend online than traditional pay-TV services
Nov 28, 2018 – U.S. consumer data from Parks Associates finds that the average net promoter score (NPS) for traditional pay-TV providers in 3Q 2018 was -19. By comparison, the average NPS for the major online pay-TV and OTT video services was positive.
News categories: Parks Associates, Brett Sappington, Digital TV, Market Research, USA
Parks Associates lists 2018 top 10 U.S. SVOD services
Nov 7, 2018 – Parks Associates has released its updated list of the top 10 subscription over-the-top (OTT) video services in the U.S. market, based on estimated number of subscribers. Netflix, Amazon, and Hulu continue to hold the top-three slots.
News categories: Parks Associates, Brett Sappington, Digital TV, Market Research, OTT, USA
Smart speakers with voice assistants to be in 47% of U.S. broadband households by 2022
Sep 27, 2018 – Parks Associates has estimated that penetration of smart speakers with voice assistants will reach 47% of U.S. broadband households by 2022. 55% of U.S. broadband households find voice control of connected entertainment devices to be appealing.
News categories: Parks Associates, Craig Leslie, Brett Sappington, Market Research, Smart Home, USA, UX
- Viacom and ACCESS partner on automotive TV in Germany
- Broadband usage patterns provide clues to imminent cord-cutting
- TELUS Home Assistant giving Optik TV customers hands-free voice control
- Amobee launches data marketplace for connected TV and multiscreen advertising
- Sky Media reveals power of addressable TV
- Charter agrees deal to distribute Disney streaming services
- Consolidated launches TV over Fiber-to-the-Premises in Columbia County, New York
- Global smart speaker sales grow 96% to 30.3 million in Q2 2019
- Comscore to provide measurement for Xandr's addressable offering
- CBS and Viacom to combine
- U.S. STB energy agreement savings top $5 billion
- GO Malta deploys Edgeware solutions for multiscreen TV
- Major U.S. pay-TV providers lost ~1.53 million subscribers in 2Q 2019
- Most smart speakers and video streamers are energy efficient
- Consolidated Communications launches CCiTV in Southern Maine
- HONOR Vision first smart screen device with Huawei's HarmonyOS
- Smart speakers with screens took off in 2018
- LG Uplus adds 92,000 IPTV subscribers in 2Q 2019
- Huawei launches HarmonyOS distributed operating system
- ZTE and China Mobile broadcast China's first 5G sporting event