Digital TV News: BT
Virgin Media O2 launches broadband streaming box
Apr 26, 2022 – Virgin Media O2 has unveiled Stream from Virgin Media, a way for its customers to bring together their favourite TV channels, video apps and streaming subscriptions all in one place via a small box powered entirely by the company's broadband.
News categories: Virgin Media, David Bouchier, Digital TV, IPTV, Set Top Box, UK
Synamedia delivers live 8K BT Sport using single AMD CPU for encoding
Apr 14, 2022 – Synamedia has announced that its VIVID Compression platform, powered by AMD EPYC™ 7763 processors, distributed BT Sport’s 8K-UHD broadcast of the Saracens vs. Bristol Bears Gallagher Premiership Rugby on March 26, 2022.
News categories: Synamedia, AMD, BT Sport, Elke Hungenaert, James Knight, Content Distribution, Digital TV, NABShow, Semiconductor, UK
C&W brings Paramount+ to Flow and BTC subscribers in the Caribbean
Mar 28, 2022 – Paramount+ has announced an alliance with C&W Communications to bring its premium content exclusively to subscribers of Flow and BTC video services in more than 15 new markets in the Caribbean.
News categories: C&W Communications, Paramount+, Britta Reinhardt, Eduardo Lebrija, Cable TV, Caribbean, Digital TV, Streaming
TalkTalk rolls out 4K TV set-top box with Netgem
Mar 21, 2022 – The 4K TV Box offers more choice for TalkTalk TV customers alongside Ultra HD 4K viewing. Customers can access more than 70 channels and on-demand players through the Netgem TV interface with apps and streaming services like Netflix and Prime Video.
News categories: TalkTalk, Netgem, Jonathan Kini, Digital TV, IPTV, Set Top Box, UK
Shareholders conclude new YouView funding agreement
Mar 1, 2022 – ITV, the BBC, BT, Channel 4, TalkTalk and Channel 5 have agreed a new shareholders' agreement for YouView. YouView develops and maintains the software for the YouView service in the UK, currently available from BT, TalkTalk and certain Sony TVs.
News categories: ITV plc, YouView, Digital TV, IPTV, Set Top Box, Smart TV, Terrestrial, UK, UX
Discovery ends 2021 with 22 million DTC subscribers
Feb 24, 2022 – Discovery, Inc. (NASDAQ: DISCA, DISCB, DISCK) has reported results for the period ended December 31, 2021. The company ended 2021 with 22 million direct-to-consumer subscribers, up 2 million since the end of Q3.
News categories: Discovery, Inc, Digital TV, MandA, Results, Streaming, Subscribers, Worldwide
BT Group and Discovery negotiating sports joint venture
Feb 3, 2022 – BT Group has entered exclusive discussions with Discovery, Inc. on a deal to create a new sport and entertainment offering for customers in the UK. The new business would be a 50/50 joint venture, bringing together BT Sport and Eurosport UK.
News categories: BT Group, Discovery, Inc, Marc Allera, Digital TV, UK
UK's DTG releases D-Book 12.6
Oct 28, 2021 – The DTG has announced the release of its D-Book 12.6. Previously optional, support for HbbTV now becomes mandatory in the latest version, as the transition away from MHEG continues in the UK.
News categories: DTG, HbbTV Association, Richard Lindsay-Davies, Vincent Grivet, Content Distribution, Digital TV, HbbTV, Set Top Box, Smart TV, Terrestrial, UK
Redbox completes business combination with Seaport Global Acquisition Corp.
Oct 22, 2021 – Redbox (NASDAQ: RDBX) has completed its business combination with Seaport Global Acquisition Corp. (NASDAQ: SGAM). Redbox's common stock and warrants are expected to begin trading on NASDAQ on Monday, October 25, 2021.
News categories: Redbox, Galen Smith, Digital TV, MandA, Streaming, USA
- BARB releases Establishment Survey data for the UK for Q2 2022
- Simulmedia and TiVo renew data-licensing partnership
- Paramount+ joins Roku Channel’s Premium Subscriptions lineup
- Altice USA residential video RGUs down 85,000 in 2Q 2022
- DISH Network pay TV subscribers down 257,000 in 2Q 2022
- Over six million Android TV OS deployments for iWedia
- RTL Deutschland and Seven.One Entertainment to create addressable TV JV
- Charter residential video customers down 240,000 in 2Q 2022
- Access Advance adds further patent owners
- Disney+ app integrated on Foxtel set top boxes
- ADTH introduces ultra-compact USB ATSC 3.0 receiver
- ATSC 3.0-in-a-box from ENENSYS and Ateme powers WCRN Boston NEXTGEN TV
- Sinclair partners with Korean broadcasters to further NextGen broadcasting
- Linear TV viewing down as online long form viewing time continues to grow
- Auton and Anywave launch ATSC 3.0 broadcast internet test lab in Oregon
- OAN expands CTV reach with NetRange
- Liberty Global, Telefónica, InfraVia Capital to build fibre network in the UK
- Kaltura confirms receipt of unsolicited proposal from Panopto
- Comcast cable video subscribers down 521,000 in 2Q 2022
- Freeview Play adds new content discovery tools