Digital TV News: DIRECTV Latin America
Grupo Werthein takes ownership of Vrio
Nov 15, 2021 – With the completion of acquisition closing procedures, Grupo Werthein has taken ownership of 100% of the equity of Vrio. Vrio offers live content and OnDemand services through DIRECTV Latin America, SKY Brazil and DIRECTV GO.
News categories: Grupo Werthein, Vrio, Caribbean, Digital TV, Latin America, MandA, Satellite, Streaming
DIRECTV Latin America deploys Irdeto App Watch
Nov 3, 2021 – Irdeto App Watch will help DIRECTV Latin America retain control over the open app store environment, providing tools to combat content piracy and protect customers from malicious applications and potential cyberattacks.
News categories: Irdeto, DIRECTV Latin America, Shane McCarthy, Carlos Pontual, Android TV, Apps, Content Protection, Digital TV, Latin America
Sky Brasil's SKY Connect 4K Android TV DVR powered by Wyplay
Jul 22, 2021 – Wyplay has announced that it is powering SKY Connect, the 4K Android TV DVR, recently launched by SKY Brasil, building on the work done for the launch of Linux STBs for SKY Brasil and DIRECTV Latin America in 2016.
News categories: Wyplay, SKY Brasil, Jacques Bourgninaud, Android TV, Brazil, Digital TV, Satellite, Set Top Box
Grupo Werthein to buy AT&T's Vrio operations
Jul 21, 2021 – Grupo Werthein and AT&T (NYSE:T) have announced that Grupo Werthein has reached an agreement to acquire AT&T's Vrio Corp. business unit. Grupo Werthein has agreed to acquire 100% of the equity in Vrio.
News categories: AT&T, Grupo Werthein, Vrio Corp, Lori Lee, Dario Werthein, Caribbean, Digital TV, Latin America, MandA, Satellite, Streaming
HBO Max to be available in Latin America & the Caribbean from June 29th
May 26, 2021 – HBO Max has announced that it will be available in 39 territories in Latin America and the Caribbean starting on June 29th. HBO Max will offer two subscription plans, starting from US$3 per month.
News categories: HBO Max, Johannes Larcher, Luis Durán, Caribbean, Digital TV, Latin America, Streaming
AT&T closes DIRECTV Latin America operations in Venezuela
May 19, 2020 – AT&T has closed its DIRECTV Latin America operations in Venezuela. The U.S. government’s sanctions have prohibited the broadcast of Globovision and PDVSA's channels which are required under DIRECTV’s license to provide pay TV in Venezuela.
News categories: AT&T, Digital TV, Satellite, Venezuela
Wyplay to work on HD and 4K DVR enhancements for Vrio
Dec 4, 2018 – Wyplay has announced that it has been contracted to work on enhancements to the newly launched HD and 4K DVRs for Latin America and SKY Brasil. The hybrid products provide satellite and internet enabled video streams and ISDB-T.
News categories: Wyplay, Vrio, Jacques Bourgninaud, Brazil, Caribbean, Digital TV, ISDB-T, Latin America, Satellite, Set Top Box, UX
Friend MTS to protect DIRECTV Latin America's streamed sports channels
Aug 2, 2018 – Friend MTS has announced that DIRECTV Latin America has selected the company to provide protection against streaming piracy for its sports channels. As part of the agreement, Friend MTS has implemented tracking and monitoring to identify illegal retransmission and streaming activities.
News categories: Friend MTS, DIRECTV Latin America, Paul Hastings, Maria Marino, Content Protection, Digital TV, Latin America, Streaming
AT&T US up 80k; DTVLA up 140k video subs in 2Q 2018
Jul 24, 2018 – AT&T (NYSE:T) has reported results for the second quarter of 2018. Total US video subscribers grew by 80,000 in the quarter as DIRECTV NOW and U-Verse subscriber growth offset satellite declines. For DIRECTV Latin America, subscribers were up 140,000.
News categories: AT&T, Digital TV, IPTV, Latin America, Mexico, Results, Satellite, Streaming, Subscribers, USA
- Synamedia delivers low latency World Cup streaming for Cellcom
- NEXTGEN TV broadcasting begins in Boston
- SkyShowtime announces line-up ahead of launches in Central & Eastern Europe
- Global online video subscriptions to reach 1.7bn in 2023
- BARB launches API giving clients direct access to viewing data
- Roku makes deal with Warner Bros. Discovery for The Roku Channel
- Trinidad and Tobago selects ATSC 3.0 for DTT
- Faurecia-Aptoide and Catappult launch app distribution hub for cars
- 24i supports launch of Philips Hue Sync TV App
- J:COM deploys Qwilt Open Caching solution
- Breezeline Stream TV comes to Cleveland and Columbus, Ohio
- Sale of Millicom to Apollo Global Management and Claure Group in discussion
- Comcast cable video subscribers down 2.034 million in 2022
- Disney strikes streaming measurement deal with EDO
- ITV increases investment in InfoSum
- German study shows high losses from TV piracy
- European Audiovisual Observatory publishes report on media ownership in Europe
- NBA games to be available in VR through Meta Horizon Worlds
- Simply.TV signs metadata deal with YouSee
- Verizon FIOS consumer video subscribers down 80,000 in 4Q 2022