Digital TV News: IHS Markit
Synaptics announces video SoCs with built-in secure AI framework
Jan 6, 2020 – Synaptics (NASDAQ: SYNA) has announced its VideoSmart VS600 family of multimedia SoCs designed with human perceptive intelligence for smart displays, smart cameras, video soundbars, set-top-boxes, voice-enabled devices and computer vision IoT products.
News categories: Synaptics, Saleel Awsare, Blake Kozak, CES2021, Digital TV, ICs, Semiconductor, Set Top Box, Smart Home, Worldwide
US media players get on AVOD bandwagon as market revenue soars
Dec 10, 2019 – AVOD service providers in the U.S. are bracing themselves as media giants including Disney+ and Apple TV+ join the latest wave of competitors. These huge media firms are upping the ante, drawn by an increasingly lucrative market, according to IHS Markit.
News categories: IHS Markit, Sarah Henschel, Kia Ling Teoh, Digital TV, Market Research, OTT, USA
EU cable revenue hits all-time high of €24 billion in 2018
Nov 13, 2019 – Driven by rising consumer demand for broadband services, EU cable revenue rose to a record high of €24 billion in 2018, up 3% from €23.3 billion in 2017, according to the European Broadband Cable Yearbook offered by Cable Europe and IHS Markit.
News categories: IHS Markit, Cable Europe, Maria Rua Aguete, Cable TV, Digital TV, EU, Market Research
Limited reach of Apple TV+ and Disney+ hinders services’ adoption
Oct 10, 2019 – With the Apple TV+ app initially addressing only about half of the total U.S. market, the service is likely to encounter limited subscriber growth compared to competitive offerings that have a wider reach, according to IHS Markit.
News categories: IHS Markit, Fateha Begum, Digital TV, Market Research, OTT, USA
U.S.-China trade dispute makes Roku top Smart TV OS in North America
Jul 24, 2019 – According to IHS Markit, the North American TV market has increased its adoption of Smart TVs, particularly those based on the Roku TV OS. Smart TVs in 1Q 2019 accounted for 89% of TV shipments into North America, a record high for the region.
News categories: IHS Markit, Paul Gray, Digital TV, Market Research, Middleware, North America, Smart TV
US-China trade disputes prompt TV makers to cut display panel demand
May 30, 2019 – Amid rising concerns over the intensifying trade war between the U.S. and China, South Korean and Chinese TV makers are cutting panel orders in Q2, according to IHS Markit (Nasdaq: INFO). The reduction in panel demand is intended to cut inventory.
News categories: IHS Markit, Deborah Yang, China, Digital TV, Market Research, Smart TV, Worldwide
IHS Markit and Informa to exchange business units
May 22, 2019 – IHS Markit (Nasdaq: INFO) and Informa (LSE: INF.L) have announced the exchange of the majority of the IHS Markit Technology, Media and Telecoms (TMT) intelligence business for Informa’s Agribusiness Intelligence group.
News categories: IHS Markit, Informa, Lance Uggla, Stephen A. Carter, MandA, Market Research, Worldwide
Semiconductor industry facing major downturn in 2019
May 7, 2019 – Conditions in the global semiconductor market have deteriorated rapidly since the start of the year, according to IHS Markit (Nasdaq: INFO). The worldwide microchip industry is set to suffer a 7.4% drop in revenue this year.
News categories: IHS Markit, Myson Robles Bruce, Market Research, Semiconductor, Worldwide
U.S. home entertainment spending rises 6.4% YoY in 1Q 2019
Apr 30, 2019 – According to DEG: The Digital Entertainment Group, U.S. consumers spent $6 billion on movies and television shows for home entertainment in the first quarter of 2019. Spending rose 6.4% from the $5.7 billion consumers spent in the same period of 2018.
News categories: Digital Entertainment Group, Digital TV, DVD, Market Research, OTT, USA
- Roku to acquire Nielsen’s Advanced Video Advertising business
- VIZIO files for initial public offering
- Alphonso re-launches as LG Ads
- AirConsole cloud gaming for all Xiaomi Android TV devices
- U.S. DTH service Orby TV closes down
- Saankhya Labs receives FCC certification for broadcast-to-mobile solution
- MediaKind integrates Dolby Vision HDR technology
- MobiTV enters voluntary Chapter 11
- North American OTT TV revenues to double
- VeriSilicon AI video processor powers leading datacenters
- Asia-Pacific pay TV revenue to fall over next five years
- WDR expands HD capacity with SES at 19.2°E
- Megacable subscribers up 51,000 in 4Q 2020
- New AT&T, TPG entity to take over AT&T’s U.S. video business
- NBCUniversal expands addressable footprint via Charter partnership
- Oregan middleware deployed on Megacable XView+ STBs
- ATSC issues Recommended Practice on Haptics for ATSC 3.0
- 3SS set to double reach in 2021
- Future of TV in Australia is linear + BVOD
- Sky UK extends satellite capacity contract with SES