Digital TV News: Mozilla
Vimeo adds support for AV1 codec
Jun 13, 2019 – Vimeo has announced support for royalty-free video codec, AV1. The AV1 codec enables high-definition and ultra-high-definition video content to be streamed to audiences at a reduced bitrate without compromising visual quality.
News categories: Vimeo, Naren Venkataraman, Vittorio Giovara, Nathan Egge, Content Distribution, Digital TV, Streaming, Worldwide
Samsung joins the Alliance for Open Media Board of Directors
Apr 3, 2019 – The Alliance for Open Media (AOMedia) has announced that Samsung has joined at the Board-level, the first tier of the organization. AOMedia is a nonprofit organization formed with the aim to define and develop open standards for media compression and delivery over the web.
News categories: Alliance for Open Media, Samsung, Matt Frost, Seunghwan Cho, Content Distribution, Digital TV, Media Player, Streaming, TV Everywhere, Worldwide
HTC VIVE evolves VR portfolio
Jan 7, 2019 – HTC VIVE has announced hardware, software, and content offerings that redefine how VR is experienced. VIVE Pro Eye sets a new standard for high-end VR headsets, VIVEPORT Infinity allows unlimited access to content, and VIVE COSMOS with Vive Reality System reimagines what's possible in VR.
News categories: HTC VIVE, Rikard Steiber, Daniel O'Brien, Drew Bamford, Jamie Leece, CES2022, VR, Worldwide
Alliance for Open Media codec becomes open source project
Apr 5, 2016 – The Alliance for Open Media has announced that AMD, ARM and NVIDIA have joined the consortium. The Alliance is also announcing public availability of its AOMedia Video source code as an open source project.
News categories: Alliance for Open Media, Gabe Frost, Digital TV, Media Player, Semiconductor, Worldwide
Alliance for Open Media established
Sep 1, 2015 – Seven companies (Amazon, Cisco, Google, Intel, Microsoft, Mozilla and Netflix) have announced formation of the Alliance for Open Media. The initial project will be to create a new, open royalty-free video codec.
News categories: Alliance for Open Media, Gabe Frost, Digital TV, Licensing, Media Player, Patent, Worldwide
Panasonic launches first Firefox OS-based TVs
May 15, 2015 – The first Panasonic VIERA Smart TVs powered by Firefox OS are now available in Europe and will be available worldwide in the coming months. Panasonic Smart TVs powered by Firefox OS are optimized for HTML5 to provide strong performance of Web apps.
News categories: Mozilla, Panasonic, Andreas Gal, Masahiro Shinada, Digital TV, Europe, HTML5, Smart TV, Worldwide
Matchstick launches Flint open source streaming platform
Jan 5, 2015 – Matchstick has announced Flint, an open software and open hardware video-streaming platform created with Mozilla’s Firefox OS inside. In addition, the company has announced hardware partnerships with both Phillips/AOC and TCL to distribute Flint enabled products.
News categories: Matchstick, AOC, TCL Multimedia, Jack Chang, Sean Shih, Rita Chao, CES2022, Digital TV, Middleware, Set Top Box, Streaming, Worldwide
Firefox OS powers Panasonic's 2015 Life+Screen Smart TVs
Jan 5, 2015 – Panasonic has announced that it has collaborated with Mozilla to create an interactive User Interface powered by Firefox OS, which will be available on Panasonic's Life+Screen Smart TVs. Panasonic's 2015 line includes the CX850, CX800, CX650, and CX600 series.
News categories: Mozilla, Panasonic, Andreas Gal, CES2022, Digital TV, Middleware, Smart TV
Firefox OS to support 'casting' from mobile to TV
Jul 17, 2014 – In a blog post, Mozilla has said that aBitCool is developing an HDMI streaming device that will allow users to 'fling' content from compatible mobile or Web apps to an HDTV running the company's Firefox OS.
News categories: Mozilla, aBitCool, Panasonic, Digital TV, Middleware, Placeshifting, Smart Home, Worldwide
- discovery+ now available on LG Smart TVs in the U.S.
- HBO Max to be available at Telia from October 26
- Tata Sky expands quality and availability monitoring with DataMiner
- Slow recovery in European pay TV revenues expected
- Share of smart TVs and UHD TVs in Germany continues to grow
- Vewd enables Smart TV for pay TV operators with Vestel
- LG brings more content to third-party TVs powered by webOS
- 70% of audiences reached via streaming are not reachable via linear
- t4h. Android TV remote control for SKY Brasil
- ATEME joins Google Cloud Partner Advantage Program
- discovery+ to launch in Canada on October 19
- LiveRamp launches enhanced TV platform
- Comscore enables deduplicated ad campaigns on YouTube and YouTube TV
- Four Hartford TV stations launch NEXTGEN TV
- Vestel rolls out Red Bull TV app to Smart TVs across Europe
- Viaccess-Orca powers Vialis hybrid DTT/OTT service
- TalkTalk selects Netgem for launch of 4K TV service
- 39% of U.S. OTT viewers access video services for specific content
- 60% of UK marketers expect to spend more on Advanced TV
- Foxtel confirms syndication of Sky Glass streaming platform