Digital TV News: Multichoice
Africa pay TV to grow to 57 million subscribers by 2028
Jan 9, 2023 – According to Digital TV Research, 16 million pay TV subscribers will be added in Africa between 2022 and 2028 to take the total to 57 million. Subscriber numbers will climb faster than revenues indicating that subscribers will pay less.
News categories: Digital TV Research, Simon Murray, Africa, Digital TV, Subscribers
MultiChoice pay-TV subscribers up 1.0m YoY at end-September
Nov 10, 2022 – MultiChoice has announced results for the period ended 30 September 2022. The group’s linear pay-TV subscriber base increased by 1.0m to reach 22.1m households, consisting of 9.1m in South Africa and 13.0m in the Rest of Africa.
News categories: MultiChoice, Calvo Mawela, Africa, Content Protection, Digital TV, Results, Satellite, Smart TV, South Africa, Streaming, Subscribers
MultiChoice launches DStv Streama STB in South Africa
Sep 22, 2022 – MultiChoice is launching its streaming box, DStv Streama, on October 1st. The box delivers content from DStv, and other streaming services, such as Showmax, Netflix, Disney+, Prime Video and YouTube, via an internet connection.
News categories: Multichoice, Nyiko Shiburi, Digital TV, Set Top Box, South Africa, Streaming
MultiChoice to be second syndication partner for Sky Glass
Sep 22, 2022 – Sky has announced that MultiChoice Group (MCG) will become Sky’s second global syndication partner for its Glass offering. MCG will be Sky’s second Glass syndication partner, after Foxtel announced last year.
News categories: Sky, MultiChoice, Andrea Zappia, Calvo Mawela, Digital TV, RDK, Smart TV, South Africa, Streaming
MultiChoice Group implements Irdeto Server Side Ad Insertion
Sep 8, 2022 – Irdeto has announced the rollout of Irdeto Server Side Ad Insertion (SSAI) by MultiChoice. Irdeto SSAI, launched to the market in January 2022, maximizes addressable live ad inventory of OTT video at scale while delivering a seamless ‘TV-like’ viewing experience.
News categories: Irdeto, MultiChoice, Shane McCarthy, Fahmeeda Cassim Surtee, Advertising, Content Distribution, Digital TV, South Africa
Irdeto announces results for its 2022 financial year
Jun 23, 2022 – Irdeto has announced results for its 2022 financial year. Irdeto Video Entertainment continued to grow its global footprint, bringing new innovations to the market and supporting the needs of its customers.
News categories: Irdeto, Doug Lowther, Advertising, Android TV, Content Protection, Digital TV, RDK, Results, Set Top Box, Worldwide
MultiChoice to bring Disney+ to South African DStv subscribers
Apr 25, 2022 – MultiChoice has announced that it will bring Disney’s direct-to-consumer streaming service, Disney+, to DStv subscribers in South Africa. Disney+ will launch on 18 May 2022 and will be available to DStv subscribers via the Explora Ultra decoder.
News categories: MultiChoice, Walt Disney, Calvo Mawela, Christine Service, Apps, Digital TV, Satellite, Set Top Box, South Africa
Vivendi releases results for FY 2021
Mar 9, 2022 – Vivendi has released audited results for the year to December 31, 2021. At the end of 2021, Canal+ Group's total subscriber portfolio reached 23.7 million, compared to 22.1 million at the end of December 2020 on a pro forma basis.
News categories: Vivendi, Digital TV, France, Results, Worldwide
Africa to add 18 million pay TV subscribers by 2027
Jan 10, 2022 – According to Digital TV Research, Africa will add 18 million pay TV subscribers between 2021 and 2027 to take the total to 57 million. Pay TV revenues will reach $6.46 billion by 2027, up from $4.78 billion on 2021.
News categories: Digital TV Research, Simon Murray, Africa, Digital TV, Market Research, Subscribers
- Comedy most pirated genre of entertainment
- Viaccess-Orca and Broadpeak achieve 3-second latency for live sports streaming
- Globecast powers distribution of 2022 World Cup for New World TV
- Ateme reduces latency to under four seconds for Cyta's OTT channels
- Digiturk deploys Irdeto 360 Video Security Services
- ThinkAnalytics unveils new customer wins
- Netgem to initiate sale of activities other than TV streaming
- Synamedia delivers low latency World Cup streaming for Cellcom
- NEXTGEN TV broadcasting begins in Boston
- SkyShowtime announces line-up ahead of launches in Central & Eastern Europe
- Global online video subscriptions to reach 1.7bn in 2023
- BARB launches API giving clients direct access to viewing data
- Roku makes deal with Warner Bros. Discovery for The Roku Channel
- Trinidad and Tobago selects ATSC 3.0 for DTT
- Faurecia-Aptoide and Catappult launch app distribution hub for cars
- 24i supports launch of Philips Hue Sync TV App
- J:COM deploys Qwilt Open Caching solution
- Breezeline Stream TV comes to Cleveland and Columbus, Ohio
- Sale of Millicom to Apollo Global Management and Claure Group in discussion
- Comcast cable video subscribers down 2.034 million in 2022