Digital TV News: Comcast
Netflix, Hulu, Disney+ most essential for US streaming subscribers
Mar 14, 2023 – Research from Aluma Insights finds two-thirds of U.S. Netflix buyers view the service as indispensable, with more than half of subscribers considering Hulu and Disney+ to be essential.
News categories: Aluma, Michael Greeson, Digital TV, Market Research, Streaming, USA
Brightcove launches ad monetization service for media companies
Mar 7, 2023 – Brightcove (NASDAQ: BCOV) has launched Brightcove Ad Monetization, enabling media companies to better monetize their live and VOD content with improved yield optimization.
News categories: Brightcove, Marc DeBevoise, David Beck, Michael Dorf, Advertising, Digital TV, Worldwide
Major U.S. pay-TV providers lost nearly 6 million subscribers in 2022
Mar 3, 2023 – Leichtman Research (LRG) has found that the largest pay-TV providers in the U.S. lost about 5,880,000 net video subscribers in 2022, compared to a pro forma net loss of about 4,700,000 in 2021.
News categories: Leichtman Research, Bruce Leichtman, Cable TV, Digital TV, IPTV, Satellite, Streaming, Subscribers, USA
Multichoice, NBCUniversal and Sky to create streaming service for Africa
Mar 2, 2023 – MultiChoice (JSE: MCG), NBCUniversal and Sky (NASDAQ: CMCSA) have announced a partnership that will bring Showmax streaming to MultiChoice's 50-market footprint in sub-Saharan Africa.
News categories: MultiChoice, NBCUniversal, Sky, Calvo Mawela, Matt Strauss, Dana Strong, Africa, Digital TV, MandA, Streaming
SLING TV launches Freestream FAST service
Feb 9, 2023 – SLING TV has launched a FAST service, Sling Freestream. Freestream is available through the SLING app on all Roku devices, and is rolling out across Comcast, LG, Samsung, Vizio and Xbox devices.
News categories: SLING TV, Gary Schanman, Digital TV, Streaming, USA
NBCUniversal extends capabilities of One Platform technology stack
Feb 8, 2023 – NBCUniversal (NBCU) has unveiled expanded capabilities for its One Platform technology stack. NBCU is partnering industrywide to build an automated, interactive, and transparent future for fans, storytellers and marketers.
News categories: NBCUniversal, Steve Wozniak, Advertising, Big Data, Digital TV, USA, Worldwide
Comcast cable video subscribers down 2.034 million in 2022
Jan 26, 2023 – Comcast (NASDAQ: CMCSA) has reported results for the quarter and year ended December 31, 2022. In the quarter, Cable video customer net losses were 440,000, whereas at Sky total customer relationships grew by 129,000.
News categories: Comcast, Cable TV, Digital TV, Europe, Results, Satellite, Streaming, Subscribers, USA
Element to launch 4K Ultra HD TVs with Xumo in 2023
Jan 5, 2023 – Xumo and Element Electronics plan to launch 4K Ultra HD smart TVs in the U.S. in 2023. Xumo, a JV between Comcast and Charter (NASDAQ: CHTR), was formed to develop a next-generation streaming platform for 4K streamers and smart TVs.
News categories: Xumo, Element Electronics, Marcien Jenckes, Vlad Kazhdan, Digital TV, RDK, Smart TV, TV OS, USA
Ampersand automates addressable TV functionality for buyers
Jan 4, 2023 – Ampersand has added automated addressable TV functionality to streamline workflow between buyers and sellers within a footprint that includes Charter Communications, Comcast, Cox, Altice and Verizon.
News categories: Ampersand, Kalyan Lanka, Laura McElhinney, Advertising, Cable TV, Digital TV, IPTV, Set Top Box, USA
- Mixed fortunes for pay TV in the Asia Pacific region
- Evolution Digital integrates OpenSync with an Android TV set-top box
- ARF calls for move away from TV households as basis of TV measurement
- 76% of SVOD services to introduce ads in the next two years
- Free, ad-supported streaming takes off in the U.S.
- NextGen TV begins broadcasting in Des Moines, IA
- PANTAFLIX to dispose of streaming technology subsidiary
- Harmonic powers live sports streaming for VertiCast
- Eurovision Sport selects Ad Insertion Platform monetization solution
- TV reception over the Internet continues to grow in Switzerland
- Ateme launches statmux for NextGen TV and streaming services
- Canela Media chooses Amagi for FAST content monetization
- SES in discussions regarding possible combination with Intelsat
- Comscore expands 48-hour television reporting
- TCCL deploys iWedia Android TV Custom Launcher
- LiveU joins AWS Partner Network
- 63% of rural Americans bundle internet and TV
- IAS offers ad verification solution on APS Connections Marketplace
- Charter to acquire assets of Maine-based Bee Line Cable
- FreeWheel: FAST channels redefining premium video distribution