Digital TV News: Multichoice
Activated STBs grow to 3,166,461 for South Africa's Openview
May 25, 2023 – eMedia has announced results for its financial year that ended 31 March 2023. Set-top box activations for Openview in the year were 513,840, taking the number to 3,166,461 at period-end.
News categories: eMedia, Digital TV, Results, Satellite, Set Top Box, South Africa
Multichoice, NBCUniversal and Sky to create streaming service for Africa
Mar 2, 2023 – MultiChoice (JSE: MCG), NBCUniversal and Sky (NASDAQ: CMCSA) have announced a partnership that will bring Showmax streaming to MultiChoice's 50-market footprint in sub-Saharan Africa.
News categories: MultiChoice, NBCUniversal, Sky, Calvo Mawela, Matt Strauss, Dana Strong, Africa, Digital TV, MandA, Streaming
Africa pay TV to grow to 57 million subscribers by 2028
Jan 9, 2023 – According to Digital TV Research, 16 million pay TV subscribers will be added in Africa between 2022 and 2028 to take the total to 57 million. Subscriber numbers will climb faster than revenues indicating that subscribers will pay less.
News categories: Digital TV Research, Simon Murray, Africa, Digital TV, Subscribers
MultiChoice pay-TV subscribers up 1.0m YoY at end-September
Nov 10, 2022 – MultiChoice has announced results for the period ended 30 September 2022. The group’s linear pay-TV subscriber base increased by 1.0m to reach 22.1m households, consisting of 9.1m in South Africa and 13.0m in the Rest of Africa.
News categories: MultiChoice, Calvo Mawela, Africa, Content Protection, Digital TV, Results, Satellite, Smart TV, South Africa, Streaming, Subscribers
MultiChoice launches DStv Streama STB in South Africa
Sep 22, 2022 – MultiChoice is launching its streaming box, DStv Streama, on October 1st. The box delivers content from DStv, and other streaming services, such as Showmax, Netflix, Disney+, Prime Video and YouTube, via an internet connection.
News categories: Multichoice, Nyiko Shiburi, Digital TV, Set Top Box, South Africa, Streaming
MultiChoice to be second syndication partner for Sky Glass
Sep 22, 2022 – Sky has announced that MultiChoice Group (MCG) will become Sky’s second global syndication partner for its Glass offering. MCG will be Sky’s second Glass syndication partner, after Foxtel announced last year.
News categories: Sky, MultiChoice, Andrea Zappia, Calvo Mawela, Digital TV, RDK, Smart TV, South Africa, Streaming
MultiChoice Group implements Irdeto Server Side Ad Insertion
Sep 8, 2022 – Irdeto has announced the rollout of Irdeto Server Side Ad Insertion (SSAI) by MultiChoice. Irdeto SSAI, launched to the market in January 2022, maximizes addressable live ad inventory of OTT video at scale while delivering a seamless ‘TV-like’ viewing experience.
News categories: Irdeto, MultiChoice, Shane McCarthy, Fahmeeda Cassim Surtee, Advertising, Content Distribution, Digital TV, South Africa
Irdeto announces results for its 2022 financial year
Jun 23, 2022 – Irdeto has announced results for its 2022 financial year. Irdeto Video Entertainment continued to grow its global footprint, bringing new innovations to the market and supporting the needs of its customers.
News categories: Irdeto, Doug Lowther, Advertising, Android TV, Content Protection, Digital TV, RDK, Results, Set Top Box, Worldwide
MultiChoice to bring Disney+ to South African DStv subscribers
Apr 25, 2022 – MultiChoice has announced that it will bring Disney’s direct-to-consumer streaming service, Disney+, to DStv subscribers in South Africa. Disney+ will launch on 18 May 2022 and will be available to DStv subscribers via the Explora Ultra decoder.
News categories: MultiChoice, Walt Disney, Calvo Mawela, Christine Service, Apps, Digital TV, Satellite, Set Top Box, South Africa
- Samsung chip to power Hyundai in-vehicle infotainment
- Radio Television Hong Kong selects Irdeto multi-DRM solution
- Spectrum Reach taps Beachfront for programmatic monetization of convergent TV
- Netgem enables multiscreen TV for ZEOP with new UI on Android TV
- KCGM deploys Amagi SaaS offering to distribute anime channel in India
- Leading industry players join IAB Tech Lab advertising standards group
- DingoTV streaming service adds gamification with Edge Video
- Foxxum partners with OTTera to expand app portfolio
- Taiwan Mobile selects Broadpeak for live video streaming to mobiles
- TV Globo affiliate EPTV turns to MediaKind for IP video edge upgrade
- tvOS 17 brings FaceTime and video conferencing to Apple TV 4K
- VIDAA to bring Paramount+ to viewers in Canada and Latin America
- AR/VR headset shipments slowed in Q1 2023
- Introducing Apple Vision Pro: Apple’s first spatial computer
- 49% of U.S. adults watch video via a CTV device daily
- FAST revenues in Eastern Europe set to reach $42m by 2028
- Qvest becomes European League of Football FAST playout partner
- Wyplay acquires iFeelSmart
- Tenstorrent to build AI and RISC-V chiplets with LG for Smart TVs
- DISH brings its linear TV to the digital ad marketplace