Digital TV News: Safaricom
Safaricom launches Android TV streaming box
Jul 8, 2020 – Safaricom has launched an Android TV box as part of a strategy to bring its fibre service to more homes. The box equips any TV with the capability to stream content from YouTube, Netflix and other Android TV apps.
News categories: Safaricom, Ematic, Peter Ndegwa, Android TV, Digital TV, Fibre, Kenya, Semiconductor, Set Top Box
ShowMax launches mobile video in Kenya
Oct 5, 2016 – ShowMax has launched a two-tier service for watching TV and movies via the internet in Kenya. ShowMax Premium has a range of international and local content. ShowMax Select is a mobile-first product, paid for using M-PESA.
News categories: ShowMax, John Kotsaftis, Digital TV, Kenya, Mobile, OTT
Safaricom launches mobile broadband connected STB
May 8, 2015 – Safaricom (NSE: SCOM) has announced the launch of a hybrid set-top box that will enable subscribers to view TV content and share data connectivity. Known as ‘The BigBox’, the STB allows subscribers to use Safaricom's 3G and 4G data network to access content.
News categories: Safaricom, Bob Collymore, Broadband, Digital TV, Kenya, Mobile, Router, Set Top Box, Smart Home, Terrestrial
Kenya's Safaricom applies for digital broadcasting licence
Mar 5, 2015 – Kenyan telecoms operator, Safaricom, has applied for a digital broadcasting licence in order to be able to offer television along side its other broadband products. The company has also received approval to import set-top boxes for sale in the local market.
News categories: Safaricom, Digital TV, IPTV, Kenya, Regulation, Set Top Box
New initiative for mass market mobile TV devices
Dec 1, 2009 – Fifteen service providers and broadcast network operators have launched an initiative to unify their handset requirements in order to have DVB-H enabled devices available as soon as possible, preferably for the FIFA football world cup in Q2 2010.
News categories: bmcoforum, Digital TV, Mobile
DMTV enlarges commercial Mobile TV services in four African countries
Jun 23, 2009 – Nokia Siemens Networks is providing DMTV with a DVB-H solution in Ghana, Kenya, Namibia and Nigeria. The system will allow the operators to provide an enhanced TV viewing experience on multiple devices, including the latest Nokia phones.
News categories: Nokia Siemens Networks, Content Distribution, Digital TV, Ghana, Kenya, Mobile, Namibia, Nigeria
Safaricom, Nokia And DMTV Launch DVB-H in Kenya
Jun 15, 2009 – Following the signing of a partnership between Safaricom, Nokia (Helsinki:NOK1V; NYSE:NOK) and Digital Mobile TV (DMTV), Safaricom subscribers are able to enjoy 13 DStv Mobile channels on DVB-H capable Nokia phones.
News categories: Safaricom, Digital TV, Kenya, Mobile
Kenya - DStv Launches Mobile TV with Safaricom
Apr 29, 2008 – Safaricom and DSTV have announced the launch of the first Kenyan commercial Mobile TV service, available only on selected handsets.
News categories: DStv, Safaricom, Digital TV, Kenya, Mobile
- Irdeto joins AWS Media & Entertainment initiative
- TiVo ad inventory available through Xandr
- Proximus integrates Prime Video app into latest Android TV box
- HbbTV releases updated Test Suite and Test Descriptions
- Switch Media to provide OTT service for Solomon Telekom
- Amino bids for MobiTV
- Global SVOD subscriptions to grow to 1.5 billion by 2026
- Amagi ad solutions increase revenue at Cinedigm
- Blockgraph and The Trade Desk partner on Unified ID 2.0 audience targeting
- Sky Media pilots Shoppable Ads with Sky Mobile
- Paramount+ to debut in Australia on August 11th
- Strategy Analytics compares bundled communications service pricing
- NEXTGEN TV comes to Grand Rapids, MI
- Worldwide semiconductor revenue grew 10.8% in 2020
- Polestar develops streaming app for Polestar 2 cars in Europe
- JW Player acquires VUALTO
- 3SS powers TCC Android TV service on SDMC STBs
- du partners with ATEME on OTT and DTH projects
- Beachfront completes OAR-compliant ad trial on VIZIO TVs
- Peach launches global ad distribution platform