Digital TV News: Sky UK
Sky UK expands satellite capacity agreement with SES
May 3, 2022 – Audiences across the United Kingdom and the Republic of Ireland will continue to enjoy their favourite premium content via Sky UK, as the pay-TV operator has extended multiple transponder contracts with SES.
News categories: SES S.A, Sky UK, Steve Collar, Patrick Behar, Content Distribution, Digital TV, Ireland, Satellite, UK
Peacock European rollout begins on Sky in the UK and Ireland
Nov 15, 2021 – Sky and NBCUniversal have announced plans to roll out Peacock content across Sky territories, beginning with a soft launch in the UK and Ireland. Starting on 16th November, Sky TV customers and NOW Entertainment Members in these markets will gain access to a new Peacock destination.
News categories: NBCUniversal, Sky, Lee Raftery, Zai Bennett, Content Distribution, Digital TV, Ireland, Satellite, UK
Sky UK extends satellite capacity contract with SES
Feb 25, 2021 – Sky UK has extended its contract with SES for satellite capacity in an agreement that will add over €90 million in secured backlog. The renewal is in addition to capacity already under contract that extends through 2027.
News categories: SES S.A, Sky, Steve Collar, Patrick Behar, Content Distribution, Ireland, Satellite, UK
Sky Italia to trial Linius Personalised TV
Jun 9, 2020 – Linius Technologies (ASX: LNU) has received a purchase order from Sky Italia for the provision of its personalised TV solution. Sky Italia is to use Linius for the development of a Personalized Channels proof-of-concept.
News categories: Linius, Sky Italia, Big Data, Content Distribution, Digital TV, Italy
Sky and Netflix join forces as Ultimate On Demand comes to Sky Q
Sep 19, 2018 – Sky has announced Ultimate On Demand - the UK’s biggest on demand TV service, bringing together Sky Box Sets and the full Netflix service. Recommendations for Sky and Netflix shows will share the spotlight on Sky Q’s homepage.
News categories: Sky, Netflix, Stephen van Rooyen, Chris Whiteley, Digital TV, Ireland, Satellite, Set Top Box, Streaming, TV Everywhere, UK, UX
UK: TV streaming services overtake pay TV for first time
Jul 18, 2018 – The number of UK subscriptions to television streaming services like Netflix has overtaken those to traditional pay television for the first time. The findings are part of Ofcom’s Media Nations report, a study of major trends in the UK’s television, radio and audio sectors.
News categories: Ofcom, Sharon White, Digital TV, Market Research, UK
MaxLinear Ku-band downconverter IC selected by MTI for Sky Q wideband LNBs
Sep 20, 2017 – MaxLinear (NYSE: MXL) has announced that a chip in its MxL80x RF downconverter family has been selected by Microelectronics Technology Inc. (MTI) for a new wideband LNB that will ship to customers of Sky UK to enable its innovative Sky Q services.
News categories: MaxLinear, Microelectronics Technology Inc., Will Torgerson, Eugene Wu, Digital TV, LNB, Satellite, Semiconductor, UK
Sky deploys Nokia CDN in the UK
Feb 1, 2017 – Nokia has announced that its Velocix Content Delivery Network (CDN) has been deployed by Sky. The alliance enhances Sky's high-speed video and data services for the company's millions of UK customers.
News categories: Nokia, BSkyB, Paul Larbey, Mohamed Hammady, Content Distribution, Digital TV, Streaming, UK
Sky Q service to be available OTT in 2018
Jan 26, 2017 – Sky has announced plans to launch Sky TV without the need for a satellite dish. Delivered through a box over broadband, the service is expected to launch in the UK in 2018. Sky is also launching a new My Sky app.
News categories: BSkyB, Stephen van Rooyen, Digital TV, Satellite, Set Top Box, Streaming, UK
- Major U.S. pay TV providers lost 1,956,000 subscribers in 1Q 2022
- 3SS and ContentWise to use AI to power personalized user experiences
- NOS shows international holographic transmission using 5G
- Telestream acquires Encoding.com
- Hisense unveils its first Smart TV with Fire TV built-in
- Conviva announces streaming audience measurement standard
- iWedia launches ATSC 3.0 software stack
- SVOD reaches saturation in Sweden
- CTV surpasses mobile's share of global video impressions
- Global SVOD subscriptions to grow by 485 million from 2021 to 2027
- European VOD Coalition officially inaugurated
- 7.9 million Disney+ subscribers added in 1Q 2022
- Gaumont launches SVOD on Netgem Content-as-a-Service platform
- AMC+ coming to Orange Spain's entertainment offering in June
- Liberty Global video subscribers down 21,900 in Q1 2022
- First TVs powered by TiVo Stream OS expected in late 2023/early 2024
- AMC adds 431,000 paid streaming subscribers in 1Q 2022
- NOS Portugal adds 2,100 pay TV subscribers in 1Q 2022
- Chicken Soup for the Soul Entertainment to acquire Redbox
- Tivù launches USB-based CAM supporting 4K TV with SmarDTV