Digital TV News: Stephen van Rooyen
Paramount+ to launch on Sky across Europe
Aug 5, 2021 – ViacomCBS (NASDAQ: VIAC, VIACA) and Sky (NASDAQ: CMCSA) have announced that Paramount+ will launch on Sky platforms in the UK, Ireland, Italy, Germany, Switzerland and Austria (GSA) in 2022.
News categories: ViacomCBS, Sky, Paramount+, Raffaele Annecchino, Stephen van Rooyen, Advertising, Apps, Austria, Digital TV, Germany, Ireland, Italy, Satellite, Switzerland, UK
ITV and Sky upgrade their commercial partnership
Jul 21, 2021 – ITV and Sky have signed a deal that includes enabling ITV to launch addressable advertising on Sky platforms. The ITV Hub app will also be added to the current ITV Hub service on Sky Q during 2022.
News categories: Sky, ITV, Stephen van Rooyen, Carolyn McCall, Advertising, Apps, Digital TV, Satellite, Set Top Box, Streaming, UK
Amazon Prime Video to launch on Sky; NOW TV on Fire TV
Dec 14, 2020 – Sky and Amazon have announced a partnership that sees Prime Video launch on Sky and NOW TV devices across Europe, while the NOW TV and Sky Ticket apps will also come to Fire TV devices.
News categories: Sky, Amazon, Stephen van Rooyen, Jay Marine, Apps, Digital TV, Germany, Ireland, Italy, Satellite, Set Top Box, Smart TV, Streaming, UK
BBC explores targeting of promotional content using Sky technology
Nov 11, 2019 – Sky and the BBC are to collaborate on content and technology. The BBC iPlayer app and connected red-button service will launch on Sky Q, and the companies will explore the use of Sky’s targeting technology, to serve up more personalised promotional content to BBC viewers.
News categories: Sky, BBC, Stephen van Rooyen, Bob Shennan, Apps, Big Data, Digital TV, Satellite, UK
Channel 4 to use Sky's AdSmart technology
Sep 17, 2019 – Sky and Channel 4 have announced a partnership spanning content, technology and innovation. Channel 4 will use Sky’s AdSmart technology to deliver addressable ads across its portfolio of linear channels to both Sky and Virgin Media households.
News categories: Channel 4, Sky, Alex Mahon, Stephen van Rooyen, Advertising, Cable TV, Digital TV, Satellite, UK
Sky and Netflix join forces as Ultimate On Demand comes to Sky Q
Sep 19, 2018 – Sky has announced Ultimate On Demand - the UK’s biggest on demand TV service, bringing together Sky Box Sets and the full Netflix service. Recommendations for Sky and Netflix shows will share the spotlight on Sky Q’s homepage.
News categories: Sky, Netflix, Stephen van Rooyen, Chris Whiteley, Digital TV, Ireland, Satellite, Set Top Box, Streaming, TV Everywhere, UK, UX
Sky Q takes another big leap forward
Feb 27, 2018 – Sky has announced the next stage in the development of Sky Q. Greater personalisation based on a household's viewing habits will ensure customers are served content most relevant to them. At the same time, Sky Q's Voice functionality will be extended.
News categories: Sky Group, Spotify, Jeremy Darroch, Stephen van Rooyen, Digital TV, Ireland, Set Top Box, Smart Home, UK
Sky Q service to be available OTT in 2018
Jan 26, 2017 – Sky has announced plans to launch Sky TV without the need for a satellite dish. Delivered through a box over broadband, the service is expected to launch in the UK in 2018. Sky is also launching a new My Sky app.
News categories: BSkyB, Stephen van Rooyen, Digital TV, Satellite, Set Top Box, Streaming, UK
Sky Q goes on sale in February
Jan 29, 2016 – Sky has announced that Sky Q will go on sale in February. The Sky Q products connect wirelessly to create an ecosystem that makes TV viewing seamless – called Fluid Viewing. Fluid Viewing allows a user to pause a show in one room and pick up the action on another TV or tablet in the home.
News categories: Sky, Stephen van Rooyen, Apps, Digital TV, Mobile, Satellite, Set Top Box, Smart Home, UK
- Conviva data shows double digit streaming growth worldwide
- Nielsen deduplicates audiences across Smart TV and streaming providers
- 605 extends agreement to use VIZIO ACR data
- Pluto TV launches in the Nordics
- U.S. home entertainment spending up 10.9% to $8.7 billion in 1Q 2022
- Major U.S. pay TV providers lost 1,956,000 subscribers in 1Q 2022
- 3SS and ContentWise to use AI to power personalized user experiences
- NOS shows international holographic transmission using 5G
- Telestream acquires Encoding.com
- Hisense unveils its first Smart TV with Fire TV built-in
- Conviva announces streaming audience measurement standard
- iWedia launches ATSC 3.0 software stack
- SVOD reaches saturation in Sweden
- CTV surpasses mobile's share of global video impressions
- Global SVOD subscriptions to grow by 485 million from 2021 to 2027
- European VOD Coalition officially inaugurated
- 7.9 million Disney+ subscribers added in 1Q 2022
- Gaumont launches SVOD on Netgem Content-as-a-Service platform
- AMC+ coming to Orange Spain's entertainment offering in June
- Liberty Global video subscribers down 21,900 in Q1 2022