India Digital TV News
NextGen Broadcast technology demonstrated at conclave in New Delhi
Jun 2, 2022 – A Conclave on 'Direct to Mobile and 5G Broadband - Convergence Roadmap for India' took place in New Delhi on June 1, 2022. The conclave demonstrated NextGen Broadcast technology on smart phones and other smart devices.
News categories: IIT Kanpur, TSDSI, Saankhya Labs, Prasar Bharati, Telecom Regulatory Authority of India, Prof Abhay Karandikar, NG Subramaniam, Ms Pamela Kumar, Parag Naik, Shashi Shekhar Vempati, Dr. PD Vaghela, ATSC 3, Content Distribution, Digital TV, India
Airtel launches all-in-one fiber with 17 OTTs and 350 TV channels
May 30, 2022 – Airtel has launched three all-in-one plans built for the entertainment needs of today’s connected homes. The plans include subscriptions to 17 premium OTTs and 350+ TV channels together with unlimited data over fibre.
News categories: Airtel, Vir Inder Nath, Digital TV, Fibre, India, Set Top Box
Irdeto and Broadpeak power Tata Play Binge OTT aggregation service
May 30, 2022 – Irdeto has announce that Tata Play has implemented Broadpeak BkS350 Origin Packager pre-integrated with Irdeto Control and Irdeto Media Manager to power their OTT aggregation platform, Tata Play Binge.
News categories: Irdeto, Broadpeak, Tata, Shane McCarthy, Jacques Le Mancq, Content Distribution, Content Protection, Digital TV, India, Satellite
DTH subscribers down 370,000 in India in 4Q 2021
May 4, 2022 – According to TRAI, Pay DTH in India had an average active subscriber base of 68.52 million at 31st December 2021. At the same time there were 12 MSOs and 1 HITS operator with a subscriber base of more than one million.
News categories: Telecom Regulatory Authority of India, Cable TV, Digital TV, India, Market Research, Satellite
Paramount+ reveals global expansion plans
May 3, 2022 – Paramount+ (NASDAQ: PARA, PARAA) will launch in the UK and Ireland on 22 June 2022. Paramount+ will also launch in South Korea in June, with further launches planned in Italy, Germany, France, Switzerland and Austria in 2H 2022.
News categories: Paramount, Raffaele Annecchino, Maria Kyriacou, Austria, Digital TV, France, Germany, India, Ireland, Italy, Korea, Streaming, Switzerland, UK
Wurl and Planetcast partner to enable FAST channels based on Indian content
Apr 24, 2022 – Planetcast and Wurl have announced a partnership to enable India's media and entertainment companies to join the FAST revolution. The partners will also explore other initiatives, such as supporting the launch of Indian content FAST channels internationally.
News categories: Planetcast, Wurl, Sanjay Duda, James Grant, Digital TV, India, Streaming, Worldwide
Stingray signs FAST Channels distribution agreement with TCL FALCON
Apr 20, 2022 – Stingray (TSX: RAY. A; RAY. B) has announced that it has reached an agreement for the distribution of a suite of free ad-supported channels (FAST channels) to TCL smart TVs in Australia, Brazil, India, Mexico and the United States.
News categories: Stingray, TCL FALCON, Manfred Orth, Rebecca Wan, Australia, Brazil, Content Distribution, Digital TV, India, Mexico, Smart TV, Streaming, USA
GTPL Hathway active cable TV subscribers up 400k in FY22
Apr 10, 2022 – GTPL Hathway has announced results for the quarter and year ended on March 31, 2022. Paying cable TV subscribers as of March 31, 2022, stood at 7.80 million, up by 400,000 in the year (FY22).
News categories: GTPL Hathway, Anirudhsinh Jadeja, Cable TV, Digital TV, India, Results, Subscribers
DD Free Dish now reaches more than 43 million households
Mar 31, 2022 – With improved auction processes leading to more and better quality channels, between 2017 and 2022 the free DTH service from Doordarshan achieved growth of almost 100% from 22 million in 2017 to 43 million in 2022.
News categories: DD Free Dish, Digital TV, India, Satellite, Subscribers
- Major U.S. pay TV providers lost ~1,925,000 subscribers in 2Q 2022
- Pay TV revenues in Australia to continue to decline
- Samba TV enters Spanish market via partnership with Smartclip
- Ad-supported Disney+ tier to launch in the U.S. on December 8th
- Foxxum launches RDK-based OS for Connected TVs
- Gracenote enables optimized program metadata distribution
- VIZIO Account simplifies subscriptions for its Smart TV customers
- Discovery+ launching on Sling TV and Dish TV
- FAST Channels TV provides linear channels for Digital TV Cyprus OTT platform
- Video streaming services lost further playtime per user in H1 2022
- BARB releases Establishment Survey data for the UK for Q2 2022
- Simulmedia and TiVo renew data-licensing partnership
- Paramount+ joins Roku Channel’s Premium Subscriptions lineup
- Altice USA residential video RGUs down 85,000 in 2Q 2022
- DISH Network pay TV subscribers down 257,000 in 2Q 2022
- Over six million Android TV OS deployments for iWedia
- RTL Deutschland and Seven.One Entertainment to create addressable TV JV
- Charter residential video customers down 240,000 in 2Q 2022
- Access Advance adds further patent owners
- Disney+ app integrated on Foxtel set top boxes