Digital TV News: BSkyB
Revenues at top 10 pay TV operators to drop $20 billion
Apr 23, 2018 – Despite adding 84 million subscribers between 2017 and 2023, subscription and PPV revenues for the world’s top 517 pay TV operators will fall by $18 billion to $183 billion, according to Digital TV Research.
News categories: Digital TV Research, Simon Murray, Cable TV, Digital TV, IPTV, Market Research, Satellite, Worldwide
Top 50 operators take three-quarters of global pay TV revenues
May 22, 2017 – Despite adding 120 million subs between 2016 and 2022, subscription and PPV revenues for 522 operators will remain flat at around $185 billion. From this total, Digital TV Research estimates 30 pay TV operators earned more than $1 billion in 2016.
News categories: Digital TV Research, Simon Murray, Cable TV, Digital TV, IPTV, Market Research, Satellite, Subscribers, Worldwide
Sky deploys Nokia CDN in the UK
Feb 1, 2017 – Nokia has announced that its Velocix Content Delivery Network (CDN) has been deployed by Sky. The alliance enhances Sky's high-speed video and data services for the company's millions of UK customers.
News categories: Nokia, BSkyB, Paul Larbey, Mohamed Hammady, Content Distribution, Digital TV, Streaming, UK
BT doubles UK pay TV market share
Jul 14, 2016 – Research from Kantar Worldpanel ComTech has revealed strong gains for the major players in UK pay TV amid further turmoil for TalkTalk. BT, Sky and Virgin Media have all seen year-on-year customer growth, with BT’s share up by 7.8 percentage points on last year.
News categories: Kantar Worldpanel, Fiona Keenan, Cable TV, Digital TV, IPTV, Market Research, Satellite, UK
Number of UK quad-play households to double in 2016
Oct 19, 2015 – By the end of 2019, almost 85% of UK households will have signed up to bundles of at least two telecom and media services from the same provider, according to a multiplay services forecast from CCS Insight.
News categories: CCS Insight, Paolo Pescatore, Cable TV, Digital TV, IPTV, Market Research, Satellite, UK
BSkyB adds 113,000 TV subscribers in 2Q 2015
Jul 29, 2015 – SKY plc has announced results for the twelve months ended 30 June 2015. In the UK and Ireland quarterly TV growth increased by 49% to 113,000. Sky confirmed that it is planning to deploy a European-wide set-top box.
News categories: Sky plc, Austria, Digital TV, Germany, Ireland, Italy, Middleware, Results, Satellite, Set Top Box, Subscribers, UK
OTT Video CAGR projected to be 24% to 2019
Apr 6, 2015 – The pay TV market has been struggling and is forecast for only 3.7% CAGR through 2020, according to ABI Research. In contrast, OTT video continues its strong growth, and should see around 26% total revenue growth in 2015, with 24% CAGR through 2019.
News categories: ABI Research, Eric Abbruzzese, Digital TV, Market Research, Streaming, Worldwide
Ultra HD and HEVC set-top box shipments to explode
Nov 11, 2014 – Worldwide Ultra HD capable set-top box shipments will reach 48 million by 2020, while the market for HEVC set-top boxes will rise even further to 88 million units, according to ABI Research. Early prototypes have been based primarily on Broadcom or ViXS decoders.
News categories: ABI Research, Sam Rosen, Digital TV, Market Research, Semiconductor, Set Top Box, Worldwide
Sky Italia subscribers down another 21,000 in 3Q 2014
Nov 4, 2014 – Twenty-First Century Fox (NASDAQ: FOXA, FOX) has reported results for the three months ended September 30, 2014. Sky Deutschland grew net direct subscribers by 96,000 during the quarter, while SKY Italia’s subscriber base declined by 21,000.
News categories: Twenty-First Century Fox, SKY Italia, Sky Deutschland, Germany, Italy, Results, Satellite, Subscribers
- Smart speaker shipments exceeded 33 million in 2Q 2022
- iWedia to deliver Live TV app for Google TV and Android TV devices
- 35 million US internet households interested in cloud gaming subscription
- Japan SVOD revenue to grow at 10.1% CAGR during 2022-2027
- DAZN acquires Eleven Sports and Team Whistle
- Cignal TV enhances Cignal Play app with Quickplay
- UK entertainment and media companies hold their nerve despite economic headwinds
- TV5MONDE adds TV5MONDE Pacifique HD to its bouquet on AsiaSat 5
- NEXTGEN TV begins broadcasting in Roanoke-Lynchburg
- TripleLift and Zype to bring in-show programmatic ads to CTV
- OpenAP announces interoperability with FreeWheel, Magnite and Xandr
- Sky Stream IP-only STB to launch in the UK on October 18th
- MultiChoice launches DStv Streama STB in South Africa
- Skytel expands video services in Mongolia with Mirada
- Report from the CTA explores gaming's post-pandemic popularity
- Spectrum TV app available on XClass TVs
- Global pay TV subscribers to remain at around one billion
- Realtek and Irdeto develop RDK and Android TV hybrid STB
- Streaming dominates UK television landscape
- Sky NZ reveals IP-only solution for VodafoneTV customers