Digital TV News: Disney
TIM deploys Technicolor Android TV set-tops
Sep 8, 2021 – Technicolor (Paris: TCH, OTCQX: TCLRY) has announced the deployment of Android TV set-top boxes at TIM, providing Italian households with access to premium services offered by broadcasters and OTT providers.
News categories: Technicolor, Broadpeak, TIM, Mercedes Pastor, Jacques Le Mancq, Android TV, Digital TV, Italy, Set Top Box
Nearly 700 million SVOD subscribers for Asia Pacific in 2026
Sep 9, 2021 – According to Digital TV Research, the Asia Pacific region will have 698 million SVOD subscriptions by 2026, up from 502 million at end-2021. China will be providing 354 million of the subscriptions in 2026.
News categories: Digital TV Research, Simon Murray, Asia, Digital TV, Market Research, Streaming, Subscribers
Latin America SVOD subscriptions to exceed 130 million by 2026
Sep 6, 2021 – Digital TV Research expects that, despite several poor economies, Latin America will have 131 million SVOD subscriptions by 2026; up from 76 million at end-2021. Brazil will remain the market leader.
News categories: Digital TV Research, Simon Murray, Digital TV, Latin America, Streaming, Subscribers
U.S. SVOD subscriptions to grow to 450 million in 2026
Sep 2, 2021 – Digital TV Research expects SVOD subscriptions in the US to climb by 33% from 338 million at end-2021 to 450 million in 2026, with about 87% of TV households subscribing to at least one SVOD platform by then.
News categories: Digital TV Research, Simon Murray, Digital TV, Market Research, Streaming, USA
Wurl Analytics releases SVOD churn analysis report
Aug 31, 2021 – Wurl has formed a research division of the company, Wurl Analytics. In its first report, Wurl Analytics uncovers the financial impact of churn, both in terms of lost revenue and subscriber acquisition costs.
News categories: Wurl, Sean Doherty Jr, Digital TV, Market Research, Streaming, USA
66% of UK households have an SVOD subscription
Aug 26, 2021 – BARB has released data from its Establishment Survey for Q2 2021. The survey reveals that the number of UK households with a subscription to any SVOD service is now 18.8 million homes, up from 17.4 million in Q3 2020.
News categories: BARB, Justin Sampson, Digital TV, Market Research, Streaming, UK
Streaming Video Alliance tests caching API interoperability
Aug 26, 2021 – The Streaming Video Alliance has demonstrated interoperability of its APIs between multiple providers on its Open Caching Testbed. The testbed is intended to validate the Open Caching concept and the Alliance's specifications.
News categories: Streaming Video Alliance, Broadpeak, Telefónica, Jason Thibeault, Alicia Pritchett, Chris Hock, Guillaume Bichot, Francisco Cano, Content Distribution, Digital TV, Streaming, Worldwide
SVOD subscriptions in Africa to triple
Aug 26, 2021 – Digital TV Research forecasts 15.06 million paying SVOD subscriptions in Africa by 2026, nearly triple the 5.11 million expected at end-2021. From the 10 million additions, South Africa and Nigeria will each supply 2.3 million.
News categories: Digital TV Research, Simon Murray, Africa, Digital TV, Streaming, Subscribers
116 million paid subscribers for Disney+ on July 3
Aug 12, 2021 – The Walt Disney Company (NYSE: DIS) has reported results for its quarter ended July 3, 2021. Disney ended the quarter with a total of nearly 174 million subscriptions across its Disney+, ESPN+ and Hulu direct-to-consumer services.
News categories: Walt Disney Company, Bob Chapek, Digital TV, Results, Streaming, Subscribers, Worldwide
- Roku launches OneView ad platform for Canada
- NEXTGEN TV launched on five local TV stations in St. Louis, MO
- Redbox signs distribution agreement with Vewd
- SpringServe first independent ad server to integrate with IRIS.TV
- Robust growth forecast for SVOD revenue in India
- Latest Vestel TVs certified for DTS:X immersive audio
- Wiztivi develops UI for Sagemcom Video Soundbox STB
- AlphaOTT partners with STI Telecom for OTT/IPTV headend services
- UEI providing voice-enabled remote for Astro's Ultra set-tops
- Ross Video withdraws from IBC 2021 exhibition
- Comcast brings XiOne streaming box to the U.S.
- Liberty Global to sell UPC Polska to iliad’s Play subsidiary
- Subscription fatigue in Australia? Not yet but on the way
- Sofia Digital working on a central service list registry for DVB-I
- Sony Pictures Networks India and Zee Entertainment negotiating merger
- Roku's Shopify app enables small business TV ad campaigns
- Americans move from bingeing on TV to social media in 2021
- VideoElephant makes 150 linear video channels available for licensing
- Android TV in 25% of advanced set-top boxes
- Pure TV launches in Ireland based on the Netgem TV platform