Digital TV News: High Efficiency Video Coding
ABI Research ranks Harmonic, Elemental, Akamai top in Video Delivery
Apr 6, 2016 – In its competitive analysis, ABI Research scores Harmonic and Elemental as the best overall video encoders, while Akamai receives top overall ranking for cloud video service provider.
News categories: ABI Research, Eric Abbruzzese, Sam Rosen, Content Distribution, Market Research, Worldwide
ETSI releases new specification for HbbTV 2.0
Nov 12, 2015 – ETSI has released the latest specification on hybrid broadcast broadband TV (HbbTV) which corresponds to HbbTV 2.0. The latest release adds support for new capabilities including companion device support, HTML5 user experience and support for advanced video delivery.
News categories: HbbTV, ETSI, Digital TV, HbbTV, Set Top Box, Smart TV, Worldwide
Amazon intros 4K Ultra HD Fire TV STB and Fire TV Stick with Voice Remote
Sep 17, 2015 – Amazon (NASDAQ: AMZN) has introduced the next generation of Fire TV -- the Amazon Fire TV with support for 4K Ultra HD, and the Fire TV Stick with Voice Remote. Amazon Fire TV is half the price of any other 4K Ultra HD streaming media player.
News categories: Amazon, Jeff Bezos, Digital TV, OTT, Set Top Box, USA
Broadcom adds 10-bit HEVC to mid-range cable and IP STB SoCs
Sep 11, 2015 – Broadcom (NASDAQ: BRCM) has introduced the next generation of its mid-range cable and IPTV set-top box SoCs. The upgraded chips now integrate HEVC, allowing operators to gain bandwidth cost savings as they migrate to cloud based video delivery.
News categories: Broadcom, John H. Gleiter, Cable TV, Digital TV, IBC, ICs, IPTV, Semiconductor, Set Top Box, Worldwide
STMicroelectronics unveils first STB SoC with integrated Wi-Fi and HDR support
Sep 8, 2015 – STMicroelectronics (NYSE: STM) has announced its Cannes Wi-Fi (STiH390) System-on-Chip, targeting HD HEVC Wi-Fi IP client and interactive set-top-box markets. ST has joined forces with Quantenna to create the Cannes Wi-Fi (STiH390) SoC.
News categories: STMicroelectronics, Quantenna, Philippe Notton, Lionel Bonnot, Digital TV, IBC, ICs, Semiconductor, Set Top Box, Smart Home, Worldwide
ALi adds HEVC to set-top box chipset lineup
Sep 1, 2015 – ALi has unveiled a family of SoC solutions that integrate High Efficiency Video Coding (HEVC) for hybrid cable, satellite, terrestrial and IP set-top boxes. ALi’s SoCs provide operators a solution for migration to HEVC.
News categories: ALi Corp, Tony Chang, Digital TV, IBC, ICs, Semiconductor, Set Top Box, Worldwide
ATEME and NexGuard launch pre-release HDR watermarking
Sep 1, 2015 – NexGuard and ATEME will launch a joint solution for the forensic watermarking of pre-release High Dynamic Range (HDR) video content at IBC. The solution is integrated with ATEME’s TITAN Software Transcoder.
News categories: ATEME, NexGuard, Emmanuel Boureau, Jean-Philippe Plantevin, Digital TV, IBC, Watermarking, Worldwide
New DVB-T2/HEVC pilot begins in the Czech Republic
Jun 2, 2015 – České Radiokomunikace (ČRa) has announced the start of a new trial of DVB-T2 digital terrestrial television transmission using High Efficiency Video Coding (HEVC) compression. Three channels are being broadcast in the advanced format.
News categories: České Radiokomunikace, Content Distribution, Czech Republic, DVB-T2, Terrestrial
Broadcom introduces HEVC STB SoCs for emerging markets
Jun 2, 2015 – Broadcom (NASDAQ: BRCM) has introduced a family of integrated system-on-chip devices (SoCs) that add High Definition (HD) High Efficiency Video Coding (HEVC) for hybrid cable, direct broadcast satellite (DBS), terrestrial and IP set-top boxes (STBs).
News categories: Broadcom, John H. Gleiter, ConnecTechAsia, Digital TV, ICs, Semiconductor, Set Top Box, Worldwide
- NEXTGEN TV comes to Grand Rapids, MI
- Polestar develops streaming app for Polestar 2 cars in Europe
- JW Player acquires VUALTO
- 3SS powers TCC Android TV service on SDMC STBs
- du partners with ATEME on OTT and DTH projects
- Beachfront completes OAR-compliant ad trial on VIZIO TVs
- Peach launches global ad distribution platform
- India sees huge headroom for growth in TV and digital
- Sinclair unifies ad sales with Operative Media
- Dominant share for MediaTek in smart speaker market
- Connected TV continues to drive U.S. digital video ad growth
- VBox announces ATSC 3.0 Android TV Gateway
- Small growth in global pay TV subscribers to 2026
- Brightcove powers Studio Mojo's ‘Koode’ OTT service
- Vivendi, Fininvest and Mediaset end their disputes
- fuboTV partners with LiveRamp on addressable ad targeting
- Verizon Media to be acquired by Apollo funds
- Stoneroos acquired by NEP The Netherlands
- AirConsole casual gaming for TrueID TV Box users in Thailand
- Charter residential video customers down 156,000 in 1Q 2021