Digital TV News: Thomson
Video technology players continue to dwindle as platform ownership desires surge
Aug 18, 2016 – ABI Research finds that video equipment will see a 4% CAGR through 2021, whereas Managed Video Platforms (MVPs) focused on providing turnkey service offerings and delivering media & entertainment content will see a 17% CAGR in the same period.
News categories: ABI Research, Sam Rosen, Content Distribution, Digital TV, Software, Worldwide
ABI Research ranks Harmonic, Elemental, Akamai top in Video Delivery
Apr 6, 2016 – In its competitive analysis, ABI Research scores Harmonic and Elemental as the best overall video encoders, while Akamai receives top overall ranking for cloud video service provider.
News categories: ABI Research, Eric Abbruzzese, Sam Rosen, Content Distribution, Market Research, Worldwide
DishHD Asia launches first all-HEVC DTH service
Jan 25, 2016 – DISH HD Asia has selected the ViBE VS7000 HEVC encoder from Thomson Video Networks to drive its new Ultra HD 4K and all-HEVC-HD satellite service upgrade for delivery of more than 120 channels to viewers throughout Northeast Asia
News categories: Thomson Video Networks, DishHD Asia, Ideal Systems HK, Tony Berthaud, Bert Klein, Wai Hoong Tham, Asia, Content Distribution, Digital TV, Satellite, Taiwan
Technicolor builds 20 millionth STB for DIRECTV PanAmericana
Nov 2, 2015 – Technicolor (Paris: TCH) has announced that it has manufactured the 20th million set-top-box for DIRECTV PanAmericana. Over the past 22 years Technicolor has worked in partnership with DIRECTV to provide a wide range of basic and advanced set-top-boxes for use in the US and throughout Latin America.
News categories: Technicolor, DIRECTV PanAmericana, Barbara Bessolo, Digital TV, Latin America, Market Research, Satellite, Set Top Box
Portugal's NOS trials UHD with Thomson Video Networks HEVC encoders
Oct 7, 2015 – Thomson Video Networks has announced that NOS has pioneered Ultra HD (UHD) broadcasting in Portugal with the launch of two trial UHD channels leveraging the HEVC compression capabilities of Thomson's ViBE VS7000 encoding/transcoding platform.
News categories: Thomson Video Networks, NOS, Eric Louvet, Alexandre Martins, Cable TV, Content Distribution, Digital TV, Portugal
Thomson Video Networks powers Ivory Coast DTT pilot
Sep 29, 2015 – Thomson Video Networks has announced that its HD/SD encoding and video processing solutions are being deployed as part of a pilot digital terrestrial television (DTT) video headend for CNM-TNT, the Ivory Coast committee heading the country's transition to digital.
News categories: Thomson Video Networks, Thomson Broadcast, Christophe Delahousse, Pascal Veillat, Content Distribution, Côte d'Ivoire, Digital TV, Terrestrial
HISPASAT begins 4K broadcasting with HDR on Hispasat 1E
Sep 8, 2015 – Spanish satellite communications operator HISPASAT has begun 4K TV transmissions in Europe using the High Dynamic Range (HDR) format. Broadcasting on Hispasat 1E, it is the first satellite service in the world using Dolby Vision HDR.
News categories: HISPASAT, Dolby, Digital TV, Europe, IBC2023, Satellite
Freeview Play to launch in UK on Panasonic TVs next month
Sep 3, 2015 – Freeview and Digital UK have announced that the new Freeview Play connected TV service, the next generation of the UK’s biggest TV platform, will launch in October. Panasonic televisions will be the first to introduce the service.
News categories: Freeview, Digital UK, Panasonic, Guy North, Caroline Thomson, Andrew Denham, Digital TV, Middleware, Smart TV, Streaming, Terrestrial, UK
Thomson Video Networks and Expway to demo live LTE distribution with eMBMS at IBC
Sep 1, 2015 – Thomson Video Networks has announced that at IBC it will showcase with Expway a full LTE distribution chain consisting of live encoding by its ViBE VS7000 HD/SD encoder and encapsulation via Expway's BMSC multicast server and eMBMS middleware devices.
News categories: Thomson Video Networks, Expway, Eric Gallier, Claude Seyrat, 5G, IBC2023, Middleware, Mobile, Worldwide
- Telecom and pay-TV revenue in Hong Kong to grow at 1.1% CAGR
- Proximus optimises delivery of Pickx with Velocix Analytics
- Traditional US pay-TV services face continued decline
- Edgio adds player-independent video performance reports
- Flat panel display oversupply to continue into 2024
- Japan SVOD service revenue to reach $6 billion in 2027
- Ateme powers NT's sports video contribution in Asia and beyond
- Global TV shipments to fall below 197 million units in 2023
- WSTS revises semiconductor growth projections slightly upward
- Go Addressable becomes industry trade body
- NorDig releases IRD 3.2.1 and Test Plan 3.2.1 specs
- Improved tool helps ensure interoperability of DASH delivery
- Growth in global SVOD subscriptions to continue
- LG announces organizational restructuring
- HbbTV updates Operator Application specification
- Bouygues Telecom streams video in Multicast ABR with Broadpeak
- iWedia releases test solution for HbbTV device compliance
- Utomik to bring cloud gaming to VIDAA Smart TVs
- Avid provides Iceland's RÚV with ingest and playout solution
- Global pay TV penetration to fall for the first time in 2024