Digital TV News: Virgin Media
Liberty Global and Nuance expand voice-enabled TV services in the UK
Sep 8, 2022 – Liberty Global has expanded its use of Nuance Dragon TV for Virgin Media O2 customers in the United Kingdom. The expansion includes new capabilities that provide enhanced support for visually impaired customers, such as reading aloud program information.
News categories: Nuance, Liberty Global, Tony Lorentzen, Pieter Vervoort, Digital TV, Smart Home, UK, UX
Liberty Global, Telefónica, InfraVia Capital to build fibre network in the UK
Jul 29, 2022 – Liberty Global and Telefónica, together with InfraVia Capital, have agreed to set up a JV that will roll out FTTH across the UK. The partnership will initially roll out fibre to homes not currently served by Virgin Media O2.
News categories: Liberty Global, Telefónica, InfraVia Capital, Mike Fries, José María Alvarez-Pallete, Vincent Levita, Content Distribution, Fibre, UK, Venture Capital
Liberty Global video subscribers down 21,900 in Q1 2022
May 10, 2022 – Liberty Global (NASDAQ:LBTYA, LBTYB, LBTYK) has announced its Q1 2022 results. Organic video subscriber losses at continuing operations were 21,900 in the quarter. VodafoneZiggo video subscribers were down 24,500 over the same period.
News categories: Liberty Global, Mike Fries, Belgium, Cable TV, Digital TV, Ireland, Netherlands, Poland, Results, Slovakia, Subscribers, Switzerland
Virgin Media O2 launches broadband streaming box
Apr 26, 2022 – Virgin Media O2 has unveiled Stream from Virgin Media, a way for its customers to bring together their favourite TV channels, video apps and streaming subscriptions all in one place via a small box powered entirely by the company's broadband.
News categories: Virgin Media, David Bouchier, Digital TV, IPTV, Set Top Box, UK
TalkTalk rolls out 4K TV set-top box with Netgem
Mar 21, 2022 – The 4K TV Box offers more choice for TalkTalk TV customers alongside Ultra HD 4K viewing. Customers can access more than 70 channels and on-demand players through the Netgem TV interface with apps and streaming services like Netflix and Prime Video.
News categories: TalkTalk, Netgem, Jonathan Kini, Digital TV, IPTV, Set Top Box, UK
Slow recovery in European pay TV revenues expected
Oct 14, 2021 – According to Dataxis, the pay TV market in Europe is expected to slowly recover from the blow it suffered during the pandemic. Pay TV revenues in Europe should reach €33 billion in 2025, eventually topping its 2019 level.
News categories: Dataxis, Cable TV, Digital TV, Europe, IPTV, Market Research, Satellite, Terrestrial
Roku releases UK consumer TV viewing report
Oct 6, 2021 – Roku has revealed the results of its study of UK consumer TV viewing. Nine in 10 survey respondents said they are TV streamers with only seven in 10 saying they use use traditional pay-TV services.
News categories: Roku, Mirjam Laux, Broadcast, Digital TV, Market Research, Streaming, UK
Brits spend a third of waking hours watching TV and video
Aug 5, 2021 – UK adults sought solace in screens and streaming in 2020, spending a third of their waking hours watching TV and online video content, according to Ofcom’s annual study of the nation’s media habits.
News categories: Ofcom, Yih-Choung Teh, Broadcast, Digital TV, Market Research, Streaming, UK
Liberty Global reports Q2 2021 results
Jul 29, 2021 – Liberty Global (NASDAQ:LBTYA, LBTYB, LBTYK) has announced its Q2 2021 results. Organic video subscriber losses were at 41,900 in the quarter. Liberty has received a non-binding offer from Iliad to acquire 100% of UPC Poland.
News categories: Liberty Global, Mike Fries, Belgium, Cable TV, Digital TV, Ireland, Netherlands, Poland, Results, Slovakia, Subscribers, Switzerland, UK
- Sky NZ reveals IP-only solution for VodafoneTV customers
- IAB Tech Lab releases updates to SIMID 1.2 and VAST 4.3 for comment
- Semiconductor market slowdown picks up speed
- MultiChoice to be second syndication partner for Sky Glass
- Canadian program drives energy efficiency of new set-top boxes
- Tring selects multiscreen solution from SmartLabs
- TP Vision to be launch partner for DTG DVB-I Test Suite
- beIN sports, iQIYI and TVBAnywhere+ apps now on Astro Ultra Box
- Air Broadband adds Netgem TV to its offer in the UK
- SeaChange to power FIFA World Cup streaming for Grupo TVCable
- Share of large panel TVs triples in India to over 40%
- Turk Telekom rolls out IPTV/OTT platform with ZTE
- OKAST powers Endemol France channels on Samsung TV Plus
- CommScope launches HomeVista pre-integrated video solution
- StarHub releases Android TV set-top box with integrated soundbar
- Broadcast and cable show signs of revival in U.S.
- EU proposes new cybersecurity rules for hardware and software products
- Vestel launches 97XX 4K UHD set-top box series
- Telekom and RTL Deutschland use 5G network slicing to broadcast live TV
- Netflix to remain SVOD world leader