Digital TV News: Strategy Analytics
2019 predictions from Openwave Mobility
Dec 13, 2018 – Openwave Mobility has released its predictions for 2019. These predictions are based on some of the findings from the Mobile Video Industry Council - which includes Tier 1 mobile operators alongside key industry analysts.
News categories: Openwave Mobility, Mobile Video Industry Council, John Giere, Matt Halligan, Indranil Chatterjee, Aman Brar, 5G, Digital TV, Market Research, OTT, Worldwide
200 million homes now have an Ultra HD TV
Dec 6, 2018 – The number of homes worldwide using an Ultra HD TV has now passed the 200 million mark, according to Strategy Analytics. The company predicts that 222 million homes will own an Ultra HD TV by the end of 2018, up nearly 50% over the past twelve months.
News categories: Strategy Analytics, David Mercer, David Watkins, Digital TV, Market Research, Smart TV, Worldwide
Nintendo to re-take number one spot in game console market
Nov 29, 2018 – Nintendo is set to regain its leadership position in video game consoles for the first time since 2009, according to Strategy Analytics. Nintendo is expected to sell 17.3 million Switch consoles worldwide in 2019.
News categories: Strategy Analytics, David Watkins, Chirag Upadhyay, Games Console, Market Research, Worldwide
TV to represent 80% of global video ad spend in 2023
Oct 29, 2018 – According to Strategy Analytics, the majority of budgets geared towards brand awareness continue to prioritize linear TV over online video, all the more as multi-screen access and OTT distribution help traditional broadcasters reach new audiences.
News categories: Strategy Analytics, Michael Goodman, Nitesh Patel, Advertising, Digital TV, Market Research, Worldwide
Amazon Echo has 23% of U.S. smart speaker installations
Oct 22, 2018 – According to a survey from Strategy Analytics, the most popular smart speaker model in the US is the Amazon Echo, which accounts for 23% of all smart speakers in use. Including all its models, Amazon accounts for 63% of smart speakers in use.
News categories: Strategy Analytics, David Watkins, Market Research, Smart Home, USA
Amazon Fire TV Cube will not replace the remote just yet
Sep 19, 2018 – While a voice remote control provides Alexa functionality to current models of Fire TV or Fire TV stick at a substantially lower price, what is the unique selling point of the Fire TV Cube and does it have the ability to replace the remote control completely?
News categories: Strategy Analytics, Christopher Dodge, Chris Schreiner, Digital TV, Market Research, Smart Home, UX, Worldwide
U.S. vMVPDs added 868k subscribers in 2Q 2018 but overall pay TV subs fell
Aug 21, 2018 – Strategy Analytics’ analysis of U.S. pay TV subscriber numbers shows vMVPDs with 868K net adds in 2Q 2018 bringing the total number of vMVPD subscribers to 6.73M, up 119% YoY. Despite this, overall pay TV subscribers fell to 93.78M.
News categories: Strategy Analytics, Michael Goodman, Cable TV, Digital TV, IPTV, Market Research, OTT, Satellite, Subscribers, USA
Global spend on TV and Video will reach $559 billion in 2022
Aug 14, 2018 – Strategy Analytics has forecast that global consumer and advertising spend on TV and video will grow from $490 billion in 2017 to $559 billion in 2022, an increase of $69 billion. Spend on OTT video will account for 90% of the growth.
News categories: Strategy Analytics, Michael Goodman, Advertising, Cable TV, Digital TV, IPTV, Market Research, OTT, Satellite, Terrestrial, Worldwide
Global connected TV device installed base passes one billion unit mark
Aug 13, 2018 – According to Strategy Analytics, more than one billion Connected TV devices are now in use worldwide. Smart TVs have been consistently gaining share in the market and now stand at nearly 60% of the total installed base of devices.
News categories: Strategy Analytics, David Watkins, David Mercer, Blu-ray, Digital TV, Games Console, Market Research, OTT, Set Top Box, Smart TV, Worldwide
- Androidmov Technology unveils IPTV UX software
- Updated specifications for digital distribution of film and TV released
- 2019 predictions from Openwave Mobility
- EU agrees rules to facilitate access to online TV across borders
- 28% of U.S. smart speaker owners use it to control a smart home device
- Consumer IoT to be worth $6.6bn for telcos
- Viaccess-Orca to power Guigo TV live OTT service in Brazil
- Turkcell chooses Metrological to provide TV+ app store
- Wyplay source code powers Telefónica IPTV in Argentina
- EU to investigate acquisition by Vodafone of Liberty Global businesses
- Verizon begins Fios TV One rollout
- Vubiquity and Discover Digital launch VOD with TelOne Zimbabwe
- Telefonica Spain upgrades Movistar+ UI to add Netflix
- Go See TV and Flowplayer launch Shoppable Content Player
- Nordija wins IPTV contract from US fibre operator Ting
- Deutsche Telekom and MediaKind first to stream 6K tiled 360° live sport
- Shanghai sees world's first 4K UHD live broadcast via 5G network slicing
- Freeview NZ PVR combines Freeview features with streaming apps
- Mirada wins contract with Skytel in Mongolia
- 7Park Data tracks path from SVOD viewing to buying on Amazon.com