Digital TV News: Strategy Analytics
Operator 5G boosted by strong projections for 5G PCs and tablets
Jul 16, 2019 – Research from Strategy Analytics shows that 45 million PCs and tablets globally will incorporate 5G connectivity by 2023, offering mobile operators a fresh opportunity to sell the advantages and new use cases of high-speed cellular connectivity.
News categories: Strategy Analytics, Eric Smith, David Mercer, 5G, Market Research, Tablet, Worldwide
Roku stretches lead as #1 streaming TV platform in US
Jun 26, 2019 – Roku's platform accounted for more than 30% of U.S. sales of connected TV devices in Q1 2019, further increasing its lead in streaming TV platforms according to Strategy Analytics. The company's research finds that there are now more than 41 million Roku-based devices in use in the U.S.
News categories: Strategy Analytics, David Watkins, David Mercer, Digital TV, Games Console, Market Research, Middleware, OTT, Set Top Box, Smart TV, USA
5G will capture wireless service revenue but deliver no industry growth
Jun 10, 2019 – 5G networks will generate 26% of wireless service revenue in 2024, though that impressive share will not boost the overall performance of a stagnating global wireless market. This is the conclusion of the latest forecast report from Strategy Analytics.
News categories: Strategy Analytics, Phil Kendall, David Kerr, 5G, Market Research, Mobile, Worldwide
China Smart Speaker surge puts Baidu, Alibaba, Xiaomi in reach of Amazon and Google
May 20, 2019 – Sales of smart speakers in China in the first quarter of 2019 grew by more than 500% year-on-year, according to Strategy Analytics. This lifted global Q1 sales to 25.9 million, a 168% increase on the same period in 2018.
News categories: Strategy Analytics, David Watkins, David Mercer, China, Market Research, Smart Home, Worldwide
IoT now numbers 22 billion devices, but where is the revenue?
May 16, 2019 – The number of devices connected to the internet reached 22.0 billion worldwide at the end of 2018, according to Strategy Analytics. The company predicts that Home will be the fastest growing segment over the coming years.
News categories: Strategy Analytics, David Mercer, David Kerr, Digital TV, Market Research, Smart Home, Worldwide
Amazon Alexa and Google Assistant neck and neck in Smart Speaker market
May 8, 2019 – The Amazon Alexa and Google Assistant platforms will take an almost equal share of the global smart speaker market this year, according to Strategy Analytics. Amazon Alexa's share of sales will decline to 31.7% in 2019, while Google Assistant’s share will rise to 31.4%.
News categories: Strategy Analytics, David Watkins, David Mercer, Market Research, Smart Home, Worldwide
Linux, Android poised to dominate automotive infotainment systems
Apr 29, 2019 – Open source platforms Linux and Android are poised to take a leading role in the automotive infotainment market as OEMs seek to leverage the advantages of the platforms for more flexible, user-friendly infotainment interfaces, according to Strategy Analytics.
News categories: Strategy Analytics, Edward Sanchez, Richard Robinson, Digital TV, In-Car, Market Research, Middleware, Worldwide
UK leads Europe's TV market into cord-cutting era
Apr 25, 2019 – According to Strategy Analytics, declining pay TV subscriptions in the UK suggest that cord-cutting is now beginning to affect the European market. The UK saw a net decline in pay TV households of 424,000 in 2018, the largest decline of any European country.
News categories: Strategy Analytics, Michael Goodman, Digital TV, Europe, Market Research
Majority of US homes to have a Smart Speaker next year
Apr 23, 2019 – There will be more US homes with smart speakers than without by the end of next year, according to Strategy Analytics. The company predicts that the 50% threshold will be reached in late 2020, with the US being the first to reach this level of ownership.
News categories: Strategy Analytics, David Watkins, Market Research, Smart Home, USA
- FreeWheel releases Q1 2019 Video Marketplace report
- Expert System adds MovieLabs Creative Works Ontology support
- Megacable adds 21k video subscribers in 2Q 2019
- Virtual Assistant shipments to exceed 2.3 billion in 2023
- Telecom Egypt and CNE to launch IPTV
- All Media Baltics chooses Atende Software OTT platform
- CEVA acquires Hillcrest Labs
- Global semiconductor revenue forecast to decline 9.6% in 2019
- iflix secures new round of funding
- Malaysia runs analogue switchover pilot in Langkawi
- ITV and BBC sign agreement to launch BritBox
- Inca ABR transcoder approved for MOBITV CONNECT deployments
- UK CE market forecast to grow 4% in 2019
- India: 79% of the smartphone users using OTT apps for entertainment
- Peach advertising delivery platform launched
- Liberty Global Vodafone deal approved by European Commission
- Altice France unveils SFR Box 8
- ATEME and Eurovision Services run BISS-CA watermarking trial
- Netflix US streaming subscribers down 126k in 2Q 2019
- Pay-TV Innovation Forum releases sports OTT report