Digital TV News: TTP
Pay TV providers embrace OTT video and 'skinny' bundles
May 21, 2015 – The global pay TV services market, including cable TV, satellite TV, telco TV and over-the-top (OTT) video, totaled $237 billion in 2014, up 7 percent from the previous year, according to the 2015 IHS Infonetics Pay TV Services and Subscribers report.
News categories: Infonetics, Jeff Heynen, Cable TV, Digital TV, IPTV, Market Research, OTT, Satellite, TV Everywhere, Worldwide
ALi and Mware integrate STB IPTV OTT middleware
May 20, 2015 – ALi Corporation has announced an IP Set-top-box integrating Mware middleware on ALi’s M3912 platform. The strategic collaboration between ALi and Mware delivers a turnkey end-to-end operation solution.
News categories: ALi Corp, Mware, Tony Chang, Sander Kerstens, Digital TV, IPTV, Middleware, OTT, Semiconductor, Set Top Box, Worldwide
134 million digital TV homes to be added in 2015
May 20, 2015 – The number of digital TV homes worldwide will increase by more than 1 billion between 2010 and 2020 to 1.65 billion – or up by 180%, according to Digital TV Research. The total will climb by 134 million homes in 2015 alone.
News categories: Digital TV Research, Africa, Asia, Brazil, China, Digital TV, Europe, France, Germany, India, Indonesia, Japan, Latin America, Market Research, Mexico, Middle-East, North America, Russia, USA, Worldwide
OTT video 'account sharing' prevalent in the U.S.
May 15, 2015 – Parks Associates has reported that 57% of U.S. broadband households access an OTT video subscription, but account sharing is a lingering challenge. According to the survey, 8% are using a subscription OTT video account held by someone outside of their home.
News categories: Parks Associates, Brett Sappington, Digital TV, Market Research, OTT, USA
Panasonic launches first Firefox OS-based TVs
May 15, 2015 – The first Panasonic VIERA Smart TVs powered by Firefox OS are now available in Europe and will be available worldwide in the coming months. Panasonic Smart TVs powered by Firefox OS are optimized for HTML5 to provide strong performance of Web apps.
News categories: Mozilla, Panasonic, Andreas Gal, Masahiro Shinada, Digital TV, Europe, HTML5, Smart TV, Worldwide
TCL introduces premium TVs with Roku integrated
May 13, 2015 – TCL has announced that seven TCL Roku TVs will soon be available at major U.S. retailers. Following the launch of three 3700 series models, TCL is expanding its 2015 TCL Roku TV lineup with three 3800 Design Series models and four 3850 Decorator Series models.
News categories: TCL, Roku, Chris Larson, Digital TV, Middleware, OTT, Smart TV, USA
Satellite TV revenues to overtake cable in 2015
May 13, 2015 – Satellite TV revenues will overtake total cable TV revenues in 2015, according to Digital TV Research. Satellite TV accounted for 44% of total revenue in 2014, rising to 46% by 2020. Cable will drop from 46% to 40% over the same period.
News categories: Digital TV Research, Cable TV, Digital TV, IPTV, Market Research, Satellite, Terrestrial, Worldwide
Ultra HD Blu-ray specification and logo released
May 12, 2015 – The Blu-ray Disc Association (BDA) has announced completion of the Ultra HD Blu-ray specification and released the new logo that will delineate Ultra HD Blu-ray products. The Ultra HD Blu-ray specification will enable delivery of Ultra HD content via Ultra HD Blu-ray Disc to UHD TV households.
News categories: Blu-ray Disc Association, Victor Matsuda, Blu-ray, Digital TV, Licensing, Worldwide
Over 100 million Freeview-capable devices sold in UK
May 12, 2015 – Freeview in the UK has passed the 100 million mark for the number of DTT TVs and boxes sold since its launch in 2002. The figure includes all televisions, set-top boxes and DVD and Blu-ray devices with an inbuilt Freeview DVB-T SD or HD tuner.
News categories: Freeview, Guy North, Blu-ray, Digital TV, DVD, Market Research, Set Top Box, Smart TV, Terrestrial, UK
- IPTV revenues in Canada up 39% in 2014
- Pay TV providers embrace OTT video and 'skinny' bundles
- 58% of Canadian broadband households have access to online video on their TV set
- Sling TV releases App for Android TV
- ALi and Mware integrate STB IPTV OTT middleware
- Europe's first FTA Ultra HD channel to launch on Astra at 19.2°E
- Altice enters the US market with acquisition of Suddenlink
- 134 million digital TV homes to be added in 2015
- Vodafone ends Q1 with 9.1 million TV customers in Europe
- GatesAir prepares Brazil's Rede VTV for transition to DTT
- Russian pay TV subscribers reached 37.6 million at end-2014
- Connected TVs to drive OTT subscription surge
- LATTO and Verimatrix partner on secure OTT monetization platform
- 37,000 IPTV customers for eircom
- Belarus completes switch to digital television
- 70% of Ultra HD TVs to feature HDR or other enhancements by 2020
- OTT video 'account sharing' prevalent in the U.S.
- Singapore's StarHub adds 3k subscribers in 1Q 2015
- Panasonic launches first Firefox OS-based TVs
- Orange Slovakia launches VOD with Banaxi