Digital TV News: TTP
Wyplay and ST disclose contribution to Canal+ 'Cube S' STB
Jun 30, 2015 – Wyplay and STMicroelectronics (NYSE:STM) have disclosed their contributions to the development of Canal+ 'Cube S' set-top-box unveiled on June 9th in Paris. The Cube S is a hybrid Internet and DTT set-top box.
News categories: Wyplay, STMicroelectronics, Canal+ Group, Jacques Bourgninaud, Philippe Notton, Frédéric Vincent, Digital TV, France, Middleware, OTT, Semiconductor, Set Top Box, Terrestrial
Gulf is next streaming video opportunity
Jun 29, 2015 – The launch of the first non-native subscription online video service in the Middle East heralds a new phase in the evolution of the premium OTT video market in the region, according to market intelligence firm, Ovum.
News categories: Ovum, Ismail Patel, Tony Gunnarsson, Digital TV, Market Research, Middle-East, OTT
Pay TV STB market contracts for the first time in 12 years
Jun 29, 2015 – Pay TV operators purchased $15.3 billion worth of set-top boxes (STBs) in 2014, down from $15.9 billion in 2013. This decline represents the first contraction in the market since 2002, according to IHS (NYSE: IHS).
News categories: IHS Inc, Daniel Simmons, Cable TV, Digital TV, IPTV, Market Research, Satellite, Set Top Box, Worldwide
North American SVOD market far from mature
Jun 25, 2015 – North America had 50.6 million SVOD homes at end-2014, representing considerable growth since 2010 when there were 16.7 million SVOD homes. Though the North American region is the world’s most mature for SVOD, Digital TV Research is forecasting further growth.
News categories: Digital TV Research, Canada, Digital TV, Market Research, OTT, USA
More than 400,000 Netflix subscription households in Australia
Jun 23, 2015 – Within two months of its local launch, over a million Australians across 400,000 households had signed up to Netflix, the latest Streaming Video On Demand (SVOD) data from Roy Morgan Research shows. The number of subscribers is more than 3 times the combined total of its rivals.
News categories: Roy Morgan Research, Tim Martin, Australia, Digital TV, Market Research, OTT, Subscribers
Video infrastructure spending outstrips client hardware and software revenue
Jun 22, 2015 – Q1 data from Synergy Research shows that revenue growth from video infrastructure network hardware and software is far outstripping growth from client hardware and software. While revenue from all video infrastructure grew by 7% Y-o-Y, network hardware and software grew at 10% and 17%.
News categories: Synergy Research, John Dinsdale, Content Protection, Digital TV, Infrastructure, Market Research, Middleware, Set Top Box, Worldwide
Leading TV brands now more reliant on Chinese manufacturers
Jun 22, 2015 – TVs made by outsourcing specialists are expected to reach an industry record of 43 percent of LCD TVs shipped globally in 2015, according to IHS (NYSE: IHS). Outsourcing manufacturing has become one of the most important business strategies for TV brands.
News categories: IHS Inc, Deborah Yang, Digital TV, Market Research, Smart TV, Worldwide
Latin America OTT TV & video ready for take-off
Jun 22, 2015 – OTT TV and video revenues in Latin America will reach $2.91 billion in 2020; up from the $1.13 billion expected in 2015, according to Digital TV Research. From the $2,126 million in revenues to be added between 2014 and 2020, Brazil will contribute $938 million and Mexico $437 million.
News categories: Digital TV Research, Simon Murray, Argentina, Brazil, Chile, Colombia, Digital TV, Latin America, Market Research, Mexico, OTT
Millennials to account for 65% of Latin America OTT video consumption
Jun 17, 2015 – According to TDG, Latin America is poised to become a significant market for OTT video, with use especially prominent among younger adults. By 2025, TDG forecasts that consumers between the ages of 18 and 34 will account for 65% of all OTT viewing.
News categories: TDG, Joel Espelien, Latin America, Market Research, OTT
- FreeviewPlus launches in New Zealand
- Wyplay and ST disclose contribution to Canal+ 'Cube S' STB
- Home Gateway Initiative to close in 2016
- Gulf is next streaming video opportunity
- Vimond and iflix establish joint development centre in Malaysia
- Pay TV STB market contracts for the first time in 12 years
- Netflix on track for 69.9 million subs by year-end
- Broadcom signs STB MOUs with Inspur and StarTimes
- Shaw abandons IPTV plan, trials Comcast X1
- North American SVOD market far from mature
- Technicolor makes HDR single-stream HEVC reference code available
- Sandvine keeps VMedia's subscribers and their streams safe
- Amazon first to offer HDR videos in U.S.
- SPB TV provides technology for Lebara Play OTT
- D-Smart chooses Broadpeak dynamic CDN for OTT offering
- More than 400,000 Netflix subscription households in Australia
- Manhattan developing a range of Freeview Play set-top boxes
- BT Sport selects Ericsson to launch UK's first UHD TV channel
- Video infrastructure spending outstrips client hardware and software revenue
- iWedia provides MHEG-5 engine for TabletTV UK app