Digital TV News: TTP
Asiasat to provide 4K content from XTreme Video on AsiaSat 4
Sep 22, 2016 – Asia Satellite Telecommunications Co. Ltd. (AsiaSat) has announced that 4K-SAT, the Ultra-HD channel operated by AsiaSat, will be broadcasting premium extreme and outdoor content from XTreme Video on AsiaSat 4.
News categories: AsiaSat, XTreme Video, Sabrina Cubbon, Joe Nilsson, Asia, Digital TV, Satellite
Orange experiments with virtual reality
Sep 22, 2016 – From October 12th, OCS subscribers equipped with a VR headset will be able to enjoy movies and TV shows in a fully immersive environment through OCS VR. In addition, on 1 December, Orange will launch a VR test program in partnership with Wevr.
News categories: Orange, Wevr, Guillaume Lacroix, Georges Nahon, Digital TV, VR, Worldwide
Four companies control half of Western Europe’s pay TV subs
Sep 22, 2016 – According to Digital TV Research, the 73 top operators collectively accounted for 93% of Western Europe’s pay TV subscribers by end-2015. Despite adding 7 million subscribers, this proportion will fall slightly by 2021.
News categories: Digital TV Research, Simon Murray, Cable TV, Digital TV, Europe, IPTV, Market Research, Satellite, Subscribers, Terrestrial
Intigral selects Broadpeak CDN for video distribution platform
Sep 21, 2016 – Broadpeak has announced that Intigral has selected Broadpeak solutions to support the deployment of its CDN and video distribution platform. Broadpeak will help Intigral deliver a variety of advanced television services.
News categories: Broadpeak, Intigral, Jacques Le Mancq, Tony Saab, Digital TV, Infrastructure, Middle-East
SVoD spending in Western Europe passed €2 billion in 2015
Sep 20, 2016 – Total spending on subscription video on demand (SVoD) in Western Europe broke the €2 billion mark in 2015 and is forecast to reach €3 billion by year-end 2016, according to IHS Markit (Nasdaq: INFO).
News categories: IHS Markit, Tania Loeffler, Digital TV, Europe, Market Research, OTT
Successful 360° world premiere in Germany
Sep 20, 2016 – Deutsche Telekom broke new ground with Germany’s first 360° HD concert live stream on YouTube. The premiere was followed by more than 100,000 viewers in the 360 degree live stream. More than half of the fans watched the concert with mobile devices.
News categories: Deutsche Telekom, Google, Michael Schuld, Karin Gerhardy, Digital TV, Germany, Mobile, VR
Samsung releases open source HbbTV media player
Sep 20, 2016 – Samsung has announced that its Hybrid broadcast broadband TV (HbbTV) media player will be available as an open source project named HbbPlayer on github, an open source developer community.
News categories: Samsung, Miyoung Yoo, Digital TV, HbbTV, Smart TV, Worldwide
Five global companies capture 50% of OTT revenue
Sep 20, 2016 – Internet video and over the top (OTT) video platforms have boosted global video production, especially in English-speaking countries, but they have had a mixed impact on content production in individual countries.
News categories: Boston Consulting Group, John Rose, Martin Kon, Digital TV, Market Research, OTT, Worldwide
Canada's VMedia launches live TV on Roku TVs and players
Sep 16, 2016 – VMedia has announced the launch of its VMedia TV streaming channel on the Roku streaming platform in Canada. With VMedia TV, consumers will be able to watch up to 20 live TV channels streamed to their TVs.
News categories: VMedia, Roku, George Burger, Ziba Kaboli-Gerbrands, Canada, Digital TV, OTT, Set Top Box
- Ericsson expands DVR services for VTR Chile and Liberty Puerto Rico
- GatesAir announces TV transmitter deals in Vietnam
- ARRIS Whole Home Solution becomes Espial Elevate
- U.S. pay TV penetration returns to the level of 2005
- Freeview Play spec adds HEVC and Ultra HD via broadband
- Conditional Access market to exhibit CAGR of 9.1% to 2025
- Asiasat to provide 4K content from XTreme Video on AsiaSat 4
- Orange experiments with virtual reality
- comScore partners with DEG for digital industry reporting
- Four companies control half of Western Europe’s pay TV subs
- Liberty Global and CableLabs join MulteFire Alliance
- Intigral selects Broadpeak CDN for video distribution platform
- SVoD spending in Western Europe passed €2 billion in 2015
- Successful 360° world premiere in Germany
- Adobe is launch partner for Conviva multiscreen QoE metrics
- Samsung releases open source HbbTV media player
- Five global companies capture 50% of OTT revenue
- Canada's VMedia launches live TV on Roku TVs and players
- Reliance Big TV subscribers still at 5.0 million
- Are slimmed-down TV packages the answer to cord cutting?