Digital TV News: TTP
U.S. ownership of connected TV devices to grow 100% by 2017
Jul 21, 2014 – By 2017 there will be 204 million connected TV devices linked to the Internet and able to deliver apps to viewers, more than double the projected number of U.S. Internet households, according to the latest NPD forecast.
News categories: NPD Connected Intelligence, John Buffone, Blu-ray, Digital TV, Games Console, Market Research, OTT, Set Top Box, Smart TV, USA
Solbox streaming server supports HEVC and MPEG-DASH for Ultra HD
Jul 21, 2014 – Solbox has announced the launch of a streaming solution for Ultra HD video services. Solbox is the first company in Korea to develop a live-streaming server with support for the HEVC codec and MPEG-DASH protocol.
News categories: Solbox, Taeha Park, Infrastructure, IPTV, OTT, Worldwide
Set-top box revenue posts best year ever in 2013
Jul 16, 2014 – Following a relatively flat three-year period, the global set-top box (STB) market managed to achieve the highest annual revenue total in its history in 2013, setting the stage for continued growth through 2015, according to IHS Technology (NYSE: IHS).
News categories: IHS Technology, Daniel Simmons, Digital TV, Market Research, Set Top Box, Worldwide
Number of IPTV subscribers to double by 2020
Jul 16, 2014 – The number of homes paying for IPTV will rocket to 191 million by end-2020; more than double the 90 million recorded at end-2013 and up from only 36 million at end-2010, according to a new report from Digital TV Research.
News categories: Digital TV Research, Africa, Asia, Digital TV, Europe, IPTV, Latin America, Market Research, Middle-East, North America, Subscribers, Worldwide
nc+ launches satellite STB with WiFi in Poland
Jul 14, 2014 – In late July and early August Polish pay TV operator, nc+, will make available its new 'wifibox+' satellite set-top box. The box has built-in Wi-Fi allowing wireless access to the company's netVOD+ video-on-demand (VOD) service. Users can also play video and audio files on the device, and can connect an e
News categories: nc+, Digital TV, Poland, Satellite, Semiconductor, Set Top Box, Wireless
Global connected TV device ownership passes 1 billion units
Jul 9, 2014 – The global installed base of Connected TV devices (including Smart TVs, Games Consoles, Blu-ray Players, Digital Media Adapters and Set-Top Boxes) will double over the next 5 years exceeding 2 billion units by 2018 according to Strategy Analytics.
News categories: Strategy Analytics, David Watkins, Eric Smith, Blu-ray, Digital TV, Games Console, Market Research, Set Top Box, Smart TV, Worldwide
Roku leads U.S. streaming media player market
Jul 9, 2014 – Parks Associates has announced a report showing that more than 25% of U.S. households will have a streaming media player by 2015, with continued robust sales and new entries such as Amazon Fire TV driving expansion of this connected CE category.
News categories: Parks Associates, Barbara Kraus, Digital TV, Market Research, OTT, Set Top Box, USA, Worldwide
INSIDE Secure protects 'BBTV NEXT' live streaming service in Japan
Jul 1, 2014 – INSIDE Secure (Euronext:INSD) has announced that TV Bank, a live video distribution system and video provider for 3G mobile phones and iOS devices in Japan, has selected INSIDE’s DRM Fusion Server to protect its live streaming service BBTV NEXT.
News categories: INSIDE Secure, TV Bank, Tetsuji Otsuka, Dr. Simon Blake-Wilson, Content Protection, Digital TV, Japan, Mobile, Smartphone, Tablet
One billion digital TV homes by year-end
Jun 25, 2014 – There will be more than 1 billion digital TV households across 138 countries by end-2014, up by 461 million from the 590 million recorded in 2010, according to a report from Digital TV Research.
News categories: Digital TV Research, Cable TV, Digital TV, IPTV, Market Research, Satellite, Subscribers, Terrestrial, Worldwide
- U.S. ownership of connected TV devices to grow 100% by 2017
- Global pay TV market to generate $280.4 billion in 2014
- Solbox streaming server supports HEVC and MPEG-DASH for Ultra HD
- Videocon d2h chooses Broadcom for HD Satellite DVR
- Beamly announces support for Android TV
- ARRIS and Wurl introduce OTT content portal for cable operators
- VBox TV gateway records live TV directly to home network storage
- Satellite capacity to play catch up with supply
- Technicolor delivers 11 millionth set-top box to Tata Sky
- ViXS powers Slingbox M1 and SlingTV boxes
- KDDI and Saffron Digital launch dedicated anime service
- Amino selected by C Spire for IPTV rollout
- Qplay to close on July 25th
- Crnogorski Telekom adds catch-up TV feature
- BBC R&D showcases broadcasting technology at the Commonwealth Games
- Firefox OS to support 'casting' from mobile to TV
- Bell Labs opens video research facility in Cambridge, UK
- Xiaomi selects RealNetworks RMVB codec for Mi Box and TV
- Ukrtelecom launches IPTV in Ukraine
- Wyplay releases Version 2.0 of its set-top box middleware