Digital TV News: TTP
221 million connected TV devices to ship this year
Nov 27, 2015 – Global shipments of connected TV Devices (including Smart TVs, Blu-ray players, Game Consoles and Digital Media Streamers) reached 53 million units in Q3 and are on target to hit 221 million units for the full year, according to Strategy Analytics.
News categories: Strategy Analytics, David Watkins, Chirag Upadhyay, Blu-ray, Games Console, Market Research, OTT, Set Top Box, Smart TV, Worldwide
Venezuela's Pay TV subscribers up 146,000 in 2Q 2015
Nov 24, 2015 – According to preliminary statistics published by its Comisión Nacional de Telecomunicaciones (CONATEL), pay TV subscriptions in Venezuela at the end of June 2015 were 4.80 million, up from 4.47 million at the end of the second quarter of 2014.
News categories: CONATEL, Cable TV, Digital TV, Market Research, Satellite, Subscribers, Venezuela
O2 Czech Republic introduces OTT set-top box
Nov 24, 2015 – O2 Czech Republic has announced the availability of a new set-top box. The box allows for reception of the company's O2 TV Air service over a connection from any internet service provider.
News categories: O2 Czech Republic, Czech Republic, Digital TV, OTT, Set Top Box
57% of Western European households own at least one connected CE device
Nov 24, 2015 – Parks Associates' Connected Consumer in Europe research project has found that approximately 9% of Western European broadband households own at least one smart home device and 57% own at least one internet-connected CE device.
News categories: Parks Associates, Stuart Sikes, Digital TV, France, Germany, Market Research, Spain, UK
Sky unveils Sky Q home entertainment system
Nov 18, 2015 – Sky has unveiled Sky Q, its next-generation home entertainment system. Sky Q makes it easier to access TV and brings a wider range of entertainment to the big screen. Sky Q products connect wirelessly to create a TV ecosystem.
News categories: Sky, Jeremy Darroch, Apps, Digital TV, Home Networking, Ireland, Multiscreen, OTT, Satellite, Set Top Box, UK, Wireless
Netflix to reach 115 million subscribers
Nov 18, 2015 – The number of SVOD homes is forecast to reach 306 million across 200 countries by 2020, up massively from 28 million in 2010 and an expected 197 million by end-2015, according to a report from Digital TV Research.
News categories: Digital TV Research, Digital TV, Market Research, OTT, Subscribers, Worldwide
Parks Associates reveals top 10 OTT S-VOD services in the U.S.
Nov 17, 2015 – Parks Associates has revealed the top ten U.S. subscription over-the-top (OTT) video services based on number of subscribers, with Netflix as the top subscriber service and three of the ten services on the list focused on sports content.
News categories: Parks Associates, Brett Sappington, Digital TV, Market Research, OTT, USA
Ultra HD TVs could add $1 billion to U.S. viewers' annual energy bills
Nov 17, 2015 – The latest Ultra HD TVs use 30% more energy than their HD predecessors, which could add $1 billion to U.S. viewers' annual utility bills if energy-saving improvements are not expanded, according to the Natural Resources Defense Council (NRDC).
News categories: Natural Resources Defense Council, Digital TV, Market Research, Smart TV, USA
Google Play Movies & TV coming to LG Smart TVs
Nov 17, 2015 – Starting this month, U.S. owners of LG Smart TVs will be able to enjoy thousands of movies and TV shows through 'Google Play Movies & TV.' Compatible with LG's webOS Smart TV platform, Google Play Movies & TV will offer content in both HD and SD formats.
News categories: LG Electronics, Google, David VanderWaal, Apps, Australia, Canada, Digital TV, Middleware, OTT, Smart TV, UK, USA
- PEMRA shortlists 8 companies in DTH licence tender
- 221 million connected TV devices to ship this year
- EMEA UHF spectrum to remain with DTT until at least 2023
- SkyVision launches satellite TV platforms for Africa
- 4K TVs to reach 23% market penetration in 2016
- PS4 sales surpass 30.2 million units worldwide
- Mariner xVu now monitoring over 30 million devices
- Venezuela's Pay TV subscribers up 146,000 in 2Q 2015
- Kyivstar launches IPTV across its FTTB network in Ukraine
- O2 Czech Republic introduces OTT set-top box
- 57% of Western European households own at least one connected CE device
- Active DTH subscribers in India fell 1.41 million in 2Q 2015
- V-Nova powers Real Madrid vs. Barcelona UltraHD broadcast
- FLIX.TV acquires satellite broadcasting licence in the Czech Republic
- Next Step to offer DTH TV platform in Thailand with Intelsat
- CAN Tech and Stream TV partner to provide Glasses-Free 3D content
- Tricolor TV begins broadcasting of Ultra HD package
- DVB approves UHD-1 Phase 2 Commercial Requirements
- Celeno Wi-Fi chips to power Altech gateways and STBs
- Sky unveils Sky Q home entertainment system