Digital TV News: TTP
SVOD becomes dominant U.S. model for accessing TV online
May 4, 2016 – According to a study by Hub Entertainment Research, streaming subscription has become the dominant model for accessing TV online in the U.S., clearly outpacing ad-supported aggregators, TV Everywhere, and transactional services.
News categories: Hub Entertainment Research, Peter Fondulas, Jon Giegengack, Digital TV, Market Research, Multiscreen, OTT, USA
Vestel and Opera TV partner for HbbTV 2.0 TVs
May 3, 2016 – Opera TV and Vestel have announced that Opera TV software will be incorporated in the new line of Vestel televisions, to provide customers with Ultra HD content and interactive experiences using the latest HbbTV specification, HbbTV 2.0.
News categories: Opera TV, Vestel, Aneesh Rajaram, Hakan Kutlu, Digital TV, Europe, HbbTV, Smart TV
EUTELSAT 65 West A satellite goes live at 65° West
May 2, 2016 – Eutelsat (Paris: ETL) has announced that its EUTELSAT 65 West A satellite is now fully powered up and ready for service across Brazil and Latin America. The satellite inaugurates Eutelsat’s presence at 65°W, a premier location for broadcasting in Brazil.
News categories: Eutelsat, Brazil, Digital TV, Infrastructure, Satellite
CNN launch partner for comScore combined TV and digital audience metrics
Apr 27, 2016 – CNN and comScore have announced that CNN is one of the first media companies to leverage Xmedia to measure a total unduplicated view of audience across its television, desktop and mobile properties in a single metric.
News categories: comScore, CNN, Gian Fulgoni, Robin Garfield, Big Data, Digital TV, Multiscreen, Worldwide
Verizon, Telstra, kt and EE launch LTE-Broadcast Alliance
Apr 27, 2016 – At TV Connect 2016 in London, four of the world’s leading mobile network operators, representing North America, Australia, South Korea and the UK, announced they are forming the LTE-Broadcast Alliance.
News categories: EE, Verizon, Telstra, kt, Matt Stagg, Parissa Pandkhou, Mike Wright, Australia, Digital TV, Korea, LTE, MBMS, Mobile, TVConnect, UK, USA
Global pay TV revenues to peak in 2018
Apr 27, 2016 – Global pay TV revenues will only grow by $99 million between 2015 and 2021 to $205.92 billion; having peaked in 2018. This follows 19.5% growth between 2010 and 2015, according to the Digital TV Research.
News categories: Digital TV Research, Simon Murray, Africa, Asia, Cable TV, Digital TV, Europe, IPTV, Latin America, Market Research, Middle-East, North America, Satellite, Terrestrial, Worldwide
Entel nearly quintuples DTH subscribers in 2015
Apr 24, 2016 – According to figures obtained by La Razon, the number of active subscribers to the direct-to-home satellite television service of Bolivia's Empresa Nacional de Telecomunicaciones (Entel) almost quintupled in 2015.
News categories: Entel, Bolivia, Satellite, Subscribers
Home Gateway Initiative transfers smart home requirements to ETSI
Apr 21, 2016 – ETSI and the Home Gateway Initiative (HGI) have announced that HGI will transfer three of its published requirements specifications to ETSI, where they will be handled, adapted and maintained by ETSI’s SmartM2M Technical Committee.
News categories: ETSI, Home Gateway Initiative, Enrico Scarrone, Luca Giacomello, Gateway, Middleware, Smart Home, Worldwide
Freeview NZ extends FreeviewPlus to satellite
Apr 21, 2016 – Freeview New Zealand rolls out FreeviewPlus on their satellite platform. Available since July 2015 to those living in Freeview|HD coverage areas, and requiring a UHF aerial, FreeviewPlus can now also be accessed via satellite dish.
News categories: Freeview NZ, Sam Irvine, Digital TV, New Zealand, Satellite, Set Top Box, Smart TV, Terrestrial
- Streaming Media Adapter market faces mounting pressure
- Hulu subscribers up 30% YoY; adds ad partnerships
- SVOD becomes dominant U.S. model for accessing TV online
- Deutsche Telekom adds 70,000 TV customers in 1Q 2016
- Vestel and Opera TV partner for HbbTV 2.0 TVs
- Mediacom video subscribers down 2,000 in 1Q 2016
- EUTELSAT 7B chosen by Liquid Telecom for Africa DTH
- Jiuzhou to deploy SERAPHIC HTML5 browser
- EUTELSAT 65 West A satellite goes live at 65° West
- ICFLIX now accessible on Hisense TVs
- Nigeria launches DTT pilot in Jos
- U.S. 4K Ultra HD TV sales exceed 1.5 million units in Q1
- Telefonica adds 94,000 pay TV subscribers in 1Q 2016
- NetCologne launches NetTV IPTV service
- Deutsche Telekom upgrades Entertain TV service
- Bangladesh’s first DTH service RealVU set in operation
- Accenture enables Mediaset Premium OTT
- TWC residential video subscribers up 21,000 in 1Q 2016
- CNN launch partner for comScore combined TV and digital audience metrics
- Verizon, Telstra, kt and EE launch LTE-Broadcast Alliance