Digital TV News: Disney
Cogeco EPICO IPTV service launched
Jan 18, 2021 – Cogeco Connexion (TSX: CCA) has announced the launch of EPICO, an IPTV entertainment experience combining the Internet and television. EPICO is built on the Google Android TV ecosystem.
News categories: Cogeco, Frédéric Perron, Android TV, Canada, Digital TV, IPTV, Set Top Box
Philco launches Roku TV lineup in Brazil
Jan 14, 2021 – Roku (NASDAQ: ROKU) and Philco have announced a partnership that will bring the Philco Roku TV models to consumers in Brazil. The new Philco Roku TV models run the latest Roku operating system.
News categories: Roku, Philco, Arthur van Rest, Cristiane Clausen, Brazil, Digital TV, Middleware, Smart TV
Subscription TV viewers soared in Australia during 2020
Jan 12, 2021 – Data from Roy Morgan shows Australians consumed subscription TV services at an astonishing rate during 2020 with 17.3 million Australians (82.1%) watching a subscription TV service in an average four week period.
News categories: Roy Morgan, Michele Levine, Australia, Digital TV, OTT, Subscribers
OTT revenues in Africa to grow to $1.7bn by 2026
Jan 11, 2021 – According to Digital TV Research, OTT movie and TV episode revenues in Africa will reach $1,725 million by 2026 – up from $392 million in 2020, with SVOD being the main revenue driver by a long way.
News categories: Digital TV Research, Simon Murray, Africa, Digital TV, Market Research, OTT
Firstlight Media OTT platform to power new streaming venture Struum
Jan 7, 2021 – Firstlight Media has announced that they are collaborating with new OTT service, Struum, to deploy their cloud-native streaming platform, using Firstlight's Gen 5 architecture.
News categories: Firstlight Media, Struum, Azure, Lauren DeVillier, Hanno Basse, Content Distribution, Digital TV, OTT, USA
StarHub to distribute Disney+ in Singapore
Jan 7, 2021 – StarHub has announced that it has signed an exclusive agreement with The Walt Disney Company to become the official distributor of Disney+ in Singapore via StarHub’s TV, mobile and broadband offerings.
News categories: StarHub, Disney, Johan Buse, Amit Malhotra, Apps, Cable TV, Digital TV, Mobile, OTT, Singapore
OSN launches ‘Box Of Wonders’ for the MENA region
Jan 5, 2021 – OSN has launched its ‘Box of Wonders’. The Box of Wonders addresses the specific needs and wants of the MENA customer including safe viewing experiences for children, enhanced search functionality and rapid content discovery.
News categories: OSN, Devrim Melek, Digital TV, Middle-East, Satellite, Set Top Box
Video streaming subscription growth sets new record
Dec 15, 2020 – Strategy Analytics' research has found that the annual increase in global SVOD subscriptions in Q3 2020 reached 217.6 million, the highest ever, beating the previous record of 211.7 million in Q4 2018.
News categories: Strategy Analytics, Michael Goodman, David Mercer, COVID-19, Digital TV, Market Research, OTT, Worldwide
Amazon Prime Video to launch on Sky; NOW TV on Fire TV
Dec 14, 2020 – Sky and Amazon have announced a partnership that sees Prime Video launch on Sky and NOW TV devices across Europe, while the NOW TV and Sky Ticket apps will also come to Fire TV devices.
News categories: Sky, Amazon, Stephen van Rooyen, Jay Marine, Apps, Digital TV, Germany, Ireland, Italy, OTT, Satellite, Set Top Box, Smart TV, UK
- Netflix releases 4Q 2020 results
- Pearl TV broadcasters welcome FCC easing of SFN regulations
- Paramount+ from ViacomCBS to launch on March 4th
- Firstlight Media builds OTT platform on Google Cloud
- Cogeco EPICO IPTV service launched
- Enghouse and Access Communications offer hosted TV services in Canada
- MENA pay TV revenues continue to fall
- FCA first automotive OEM with Alexa Custom Assistant
- Firstlight Media and NPAW optimise CDN switching for OTT providers
- ViacomCBS, DISH Media, Adcuratio enable broadcast inventory on MVPD STBs
- DoubleVerify earns MRC accreditation for CTV measurement
- Philco launches Roku TV lineup in Brazil
- Chips&Media introduces WAVE6 series of video codec IPs
- Worldwide semiconductor revenue up 7.3% in 2020
- Kantar expands TV audience measurement panel in Georgia
- TDS introduces live, streaming TV product
- LG announces 2021 NEXTGEN TVs
- GTPL Hathway digital CATV subscribers unchanged YoY at 7.35 million
- Nordic consumers’ media spend unaffected by the pandemic
- Amazon launches mobile-only video plan in India