Digital TV News: Fraunhofer IIS
Fraunhofer and Sinclair working to bring Digital Radio Mondiale to ATSC 3.0
Apr 13, 2021 – Fraunhofer IIS and Sinclair Broadcast Group (Nasdaq: SBGI) are joining forces to bring Digital Radio Mondiale (DRM) services to users of the ATSC 3.0 digital TV platform. DRM is an ITU-endorsed radio standard.
News categories: Fraunhofer IIS, Sinclair Broadcast, Alexander Zink, Mark Aitken, ATSC 3, Content Distribution, USA
Netflix now streaming xHE-AAC audio on Android mobile
Jan 12, 2021 – Fraunhofer IIS has announced that Netflix is now using the xHE-AAC audio codec. Netflix has licensed Fraunhofer’s xHE-AAC software and is using it to encode its entire catalog.
News categories: Fraunhofer IIS, Netflix, Bernhard Grill, Content Distribution, Digital TV, Media Player, Mobile, OTT, Worldwide
Fraunhofer IIS licenses MPEG-H Audio patents to Samsung
Jul 29, 2020 – Fraunhofer IIS has licensed its MPEG-H Audio patents to Samsung, allowing Samsung to manufacture products that feature MPEG-H Audio. MPEG-H Audio is specified in TV broadcast standards such as ATSC 3.0 and DVB as well as mobile standard 3GPP.
News categories: Fraunhofer IIS, Samsung, Stefan Geyersberger, Digital TV, Licensing, Patent, Worldwide
MPEG-H Audio added to SBTVD's ISDB-Tb specifications
Aug 27, 2019 – The SBTVD Forum has selected MPEG-H Audio for inclusion as an additional audio system in the ISDB-Tb specification. This allows broadcasters to simulcast MPEG-H Audio alongside the existing AAC audio.
News categories: Fraunhofer IIS, EiTV, ATEME, Adrian Murtaza, Brazil, Digital TV, Latin America, SBTVD, Set Top Box, Smart TV
Fraunhofer IIS licenses MPEG-H audio patents to LG
May 21, 2019 – Fraunhofer IIS has licensed its MPEG-H Audio patents to LG Electronics, allowing LG to produce products based on the standard. The MPEG-H Audio system is specified in TV broadcast standards such as ATSC 3.0 and DVB.
News categories: Fraunhofer IIS, LG Electronics, ATSC 3, Digital TV, Europe, Licensing, Patent, USA, Worldwide
Fraunhofer IIS and Vewd show MPEG-H Audio support in HbbTV
Sep 13, 2018 – At IBC, Fraunhofer IIS and Vewd showcased an HbbTV demo that includes DVB DASH streaming on a set-top box running Vewd Core and Vewd HbbTV Module with MPEG-H Audio support, as defined in the latest HbbTV 2.0.2 specification.
News categories: Fraunhofer IIS, Vewd, Digital TV, Germany, HbbTV, Set Top Box, Worldwide
Fraunhofer IIS codec chosen for China's 3D audio standard for UHD TV
Apr 5, 2018 – China’s AVS 3D Audio Task Group has chosen Fraunhofer IIS as the transmission audio codec solution provider for the upcoming 3D Audio standard that will be used in the country’s 4K UHD broadcast.
News categories: Fraunhofer IIS, Toni Fiedler, China, Content Distribution, Digital TV, Media Player, NABShow
Mstar T12 UHD TV SoC incorporates Fraunhofer MPEG-H Audio
Sep 15, 2017 – Fraunhofer Institute for Integrated Circuits IIS and MStar Semiconductor have announced the availability of the MPEG-H TV Audio System decoder in MStar’s 4K mainstream TV system-on-chip (SOC) platform T12.
News categories: MStar Semi, Fraunhofer, Sean Lin, Harald Popp, Digital TV, Semiconductor, Smart TV
South Korea launches UHD TV with MPEG-H Audio
Jun 1, 2017 – The MPEG-H TV Audio System was the first next-generation audio codec worldwide to go on air 24/7 as South Korea launched its 4K UHD TV on May 31. The service includes immersive and interactive sound, thanks to the MPEG-H standard.
News categories: Fraunhofer, Digital TV, Korea, Smart TV
- NAGRA video platform powers Claro Box TV in Colombia
- OTTera integrated into the IRIS.TV video data ecosystem
- Peacock coming to Sky later this year
- Redge Media compliant with IAB TCF 2.0
- Comcast cable video subscribers down 399,000 in 2Q 2021
- Playstation 5 surpasses 10 million units sold
- 52% of U.S. consumers stop paying attention when ads come on the TV
- Tata Sky Binge delivers streaming app aggregation with ThinkAnalytics
- USSI Global to bring DOOH analytics to NEXTGEN TV broadcasters
- Altice USA reports video net losses of 48,000 for 2Q 2021
- Total Play video RGUs up 48% YoY in Q2 2021 to 1,933,880
- Gap between OTT and traditional pay TV continues to widen in the U.S.
- OTT to pull down pay TV revenues in China
- German pay TV and paid video surpasses €4 billion in 2020
- SERAPHIC upgrades TV browser with HbbTV 2.0.3 support
- Magnite to manage ad placement for Brazil's NetMovies
- Acxiom and Totalplay to provide addressable audiences in Mexico
- Undertone launches CTV ad solution for improved consumer engagement
- More than seventy 8K TVs now certified by the 8K Association
- Ocean Blue Software acquires Advanced Media Group from EKT