Digital TV News: Fraunhofer IIS
Fraunhofer and Sinclair working to bring Digital Radio Mondiale to ATSC 3.0
Apr 13, 2021 – Fraunhofer IIS and Sinclair Broadcast Group (Nasdaq: SBGI) are joining forces to bring Digital Radio Mondiale (DRM) services to users of the ATSC 3.0 digital TV platform. DRM is an ITU-endorsed radio standard.
News categories: Fraunhofer IIS, Sinclair Broadcast, Alexander Zink, Mark Aitken, ATSC 3, Content Distribution, USA
Netflix now streaming xHE-AAC audio on Android mobile
Jan 12, 2021 – Fraunhofer IIS has announced that Netflix is now using the xHE-AAC audio codec. Netflix has licensed Fraunhofer’s xHE-AAC software and is using it to encode its entire catalog.
News categories: Fraunhofer IIS, Netflix, Bernhard Grill, Content Distribution, Digital TV, Media Player, Mobile, Streaming, Worldwide
Fraunhofer IIS licenses MPEG-H Audio patents to Samsung
Jul 29, 2020 – Fraunhofer IIS has licensed its MPEG-H Audio patents to Samsung, allowing Samsung to manufacture products that feature MPEG-H Audio. MPEG-H Audio is specified in TV broadcast standards such as ATSC 3.0 and DVB as well as mobile standard 3GPP.
News categories: Fraunhofer IIS, Samsung, Stefan Geyersberger, Digital TV, Licensing, Patent, Worldwide
MPEG-H Audio added to SBTVD's ISDB-Tb specifications
Aug 27, 2019 – The SBTVD Forum has selected MPEG-H Audio for inclusion as an additional audio system in the ISDB-Tb specification. This allows broadcasters to simulcast MPEG-H Audio alongside the existing AAC audio.
News categories: Fraunhofer IIS, EiTV, ATEME, Adrian Murtaza, Brazil, Digital TV, Latin America, SBTVD, Set Top Box, Smart TV
Fraunhofer IIS licenses MPEG-H audio patents to LG
May 21, 2019 – Fraunhofer IIS has licensed its MPEG-H Audio patents to LG Electronics, allowing LG to produce products based on the standard. The MPEG-H Audio system is specified in TV broadcast standards such as ATSC 3.0 and DVB.
News categories: Fraunhofer IIS, LG Electronics, ATSC 3, Digital TV, Europe, Licensing, Patent, USA, Worldwide
Fraunhofer IIS and Vewd show MPEG-H Audio support in HbbTV
Sep 13, 2018 – At IBC, Fraunhofer IIS and Vewd showcased an HbbTV demo that includes DVB DASH streaming on a set-top box running Vewd Core and Vewd HbbTV Module with MPEG-H Audio support, as defined in the latest HbbTV 2.0.2 specification.
News categories: Fraunhofer IIS, Vewd, Digital TV, Germany, HbbTV, Set Top Box, Worldwide
Fraunhofer IIS codec chosen for China's 3D audio standard for UHD TV
Apr 5, 2018 – China’s AVS 3D Audio Task Group has chosen Fraunhofer IIS as the transmission audio codec solution provider for the upcoming 3D Audio standard that will be used in the country’s 4K UHD broadcast.
News categories: Fraunhofer IIS, Toni Fiedler, China, Content Distribution, Digital TV, Media Player, NABShow
Mstar T12 UHD TV SoC incorporates Fraunhofer MPEG-H Audio
Sep 15, 2017 – Fraunhofer Institute for Integrated Circuits IIS and MStar Semiconductor have announced the availability of the MPEG-H TV Audio System decoder in MStar’s 4K mainstream TV system-on-chip (SOC) platform T12.
News categories: MStar Semi, Fraunhofer, Sean Lin, Harald Popp, Digital TV, Semiconductor, Smart TV
South Korea launches UHD TV with MPEG-H Audio
Jun 1, 2017 – The MPEG-H TV Audio System was the first next-generation audio codec worldwide to go on air 24/7 as South Korea launched its 4K UHD TV on May 31. The service includes immersive and interactive sound, thanks to the MPEG-H standard.
News categories: Fraunhofer, Digital TV, Korea, Smart TV
- Tata Sky expands quality and availability monitoring with DataMiner
- Slow recovery in European pay TV revenues expected
- Share of smart TVs and UHD TVs in Germany continues to grow
- Vewd enables Smart TV for pay TV operators with Vestel
- LG brings more content to third-party TVs powered by webOS
- 70% of audiences reached via streaming are not reachable via linear
- t4h. Android TV remote control for SKY Brasil
- ATEME joins Google Cloud Partner Advantage Program
- discovery+ to launch in Canada on October 19
- LiveRamp launches enhanced TV platform
- Comscore enables deduplicated ad campaigns on YouTube and YouTube TV
- Four Hartford TV stations launch NEXTGEN TV
- Vestel rolls out Red Bull TV app to Smart TVs across Europe
- Viaccess-Orca powers Vialis hybrid DTT/OTT service
- TalkTalk selects Netgem for launch of 4K TV service
- 39% of U.S. OTT viewers access video services for specific content
- 60% of UK marketers expect to spend more on Advanced TV
- Foxtel confirms syndication of Sky Glass streaming platform
- Survey highlights attraction of interacting with streaming video
- Yahoo and Tubi partner to streamline CTV ad buying