Digital TV News: Disney
Western Europe to have 234 million SVOD subscriptions in 2026
Apr 15, 2021 – According to Digital TV Research, Western Europe will have 234 million SVOD subscriptions by 2026, up from 137 million at end-2020. Despite losing market share, Netflix will remain the largest SVOD platform.
News categories: Digital TV Research, Simon Murray, Digital TV, Europe, Market Research, OTT, Subscribers
3SS selected by FreeCast for SelectTV multiscreen UX
Apr 13, 2021 – 3SS has announced that FreeCast has selected the 3READY Product Framework for the UX of its aggregated OTT multiscreen service, SelectTV. The deployment further expands 3SS’ growing footprint in the Americas.
News categories: 3SS, FreeCast, Kai-Christian Borchers, William Mobley, Apps, Digital TV, OTT, USA, UX
Disney+ rollout in Southern Asia going strong
Apr 8, 2021 – According to Dataxis, Disney+' deployments in Southern Asia are going strong. With approximately 30 million subscribers already (30% of all Disney+ subscribers worldwide), Disney has surpassed its own expectations.
News categories: Dataxis, Disney+, Asia, Digital TV, Market Research, OTT
COVID supercharged online video and gaming consumption in 2020
Apr 6, 2021 – According to ABI Research, online video and gaming markets reached US$330 billion in 2020 - households stacked streaming video subscriptions, driving revenues to over US$69 billion, and gaming saw YoY growth of over 22%.
News categories: ABI Research, Michael Inouye, COVID-19, Digital TV, Gaming, Market Research, OTT, Worldwide
SVOD finally taking off in Eastern European
Apr 1, 2021 – Eastern Europe’s SVOD sector is finally taking off, prompted mainly by launches by global platforms such as Disney+ and HBO Max. Digital TV Research forecasts 40 million SVOD subscriptions by 2026; up from 15 million at end-2020.
News categories: Digital TV Research, Simon Murray, Digital TV, Europe, Market Research, OTT
Sky Q update makes voice control even easier
Mar 31, 2021 – Sky Q customers are being treated to another raft of brand-new features and voice innovations, as the award-winning TV box rolls out its latest updates – as well as some great developments to Sky Go.
News categories: Sky, Fraser Stirling, Digital TV, Satellite, Set Top Box, UK, UX
Pandemic gives watch parties foothold in the U.S.
Mar 30, 2021 – A study by The Diffusion Group has found that one-in-seven adult SVOD users cowatched an online TV show or movie with friends or family during the pandemic - a trend that began in March 2020.
News categories: The Diffusion Group, Lauren Kozak, COVID-19, Digital TV, Market Research, USA
Comcast launches Disney+ and ESPN+ on Xfinity
Mar 29, 2021 – Comcast and The Walt Disney Company have announced the start of the rollout of Disney+ and ESPN+ on Xfinity. Disney+ and ESPN+ join a growing collection of streaming services available over the Internet on X1 and Flex.
News categories: Comcast, The Walt Disney Company, Rebecca Heap, Michael Paull, Apps, Digital TV, OTT, Set Top Box, USA
Disney+ passes 100 million subscriber milestone
Mar 9, 2021 – Disney+ has surpassed 100 million global paid subscribers in just 16 months. Since its U.S. launch in November 2019, Disney+ has added Canada, Australia, New Zealand, Europe, Latin America and Singapore.
News categories: Walt Disney, Bob Chapek, Digital TV, OTT, Subscribers, Worldwide
- VTR selects Media Distillery recording time correction technology
- Nilesat chooses ATEME video processing for two projects
- Facebook Watch TV app available for Vewd-enabled devices
- Western Europe to have 234 million SVOD subscriptions in 2026
- Kublai GmbH to complete takeover of Tele Columbus
- SITI Networks launches apps and Android TV STB with Nagra
- FreeWheel addressable technology unifies linear TV and digital video advertising
- Crackle app launches on Xfinity X1 and Xfinity Flex
- Research suggests CTV ads more effective than linear
- Mowies optimizes cloud streaming workflow with Harmonic
- Mola TV taps Viaccess-Orca to monetize EPL video streaming
- Streamhub enhances video audience analytics with Kantar data
- Eurofins announces NEXTGEN TV test suite for 2022 receivers
- Roku begins Roku OS 10 roll-out
- Roku Express 4K+ and Roku Voice Remote Pro launched in U.S.
- Fraunhofer and Sinclair working to bring Digital Radio Mondiale to ATSC 3.0
- Vodafone España adopts targeted content promotion from TiVo
- 3SS selected by FreeCast for SelectTV multiscreen UX
- LTN Global launches universal signaling for linear addressable TV advertising
- Worldwide semiconductor revenue grew 10.4% in 2020