Digital TV News: Twentieth Century Fox
Samsung announces support for HDR10+ on 8K
Sep 4, 2019 – Samsung has announced that it will support the world’s first 8K HDR10+ content, partnering with three European streaming services. CHILI, The Explorers and MEGOGO will adopt 8K HDR10+ along with support for 4K HDR10+.
News categories: Samsung, MEGOGO, Hyogun Lee, Victor Chekanov, Digital TV, Europe, Russia, Smart TV, Streaming
Disney and 21st Century Fox agree $38-per-share acquisition deal
Jun 20, 2018 – The Walt Disney Company (NYSE: DIS) has announced that it has signed an amended acquisition agreement with Twenty-First Century Fox (NASDAQ: FOXA, FOX) for $38 per share in cash and stock.
News categories: Walt Disney Company, 21st Century Fox, Robert A. Iger, Digital TV, Europe, MandA, Satellite, USA, Worldwide
U.S. home entertainment spending up 5% in 2017
Jan 9, 2018 – DEG: The Digital Entertainment Group has released its Year-End 2017 Home Entertainment Report. Home entertainment spending reached $20.5 billion as consumers again showed they want access to films and TV shows at home and on the go.
News categories: Digital Entertainment Group, Digital TV, DVD, Market Research, Streaming, USA
CTA predicts record U.S. sales in 2018 for AR/VR
Jan 4, 2018 – Augmented reality (AR) and virtual reality (VR) technologies are positioned for record growth in 2018, according to the CTA. And the latest exhibitor update on CES 2018 shows a record-setting footprint for both AR and VR.
News categories: Consumer Technology Association, Karen Chupka, Mark Turner, CES2022, USA, VR
The Walt Disney Company to acquire Twenty-First Century Fox
Dec 14, 2017 – The Walt Disney Company and Twenty-First Century Fox have announced that they have entered into an agreement for Disney to acquire 21st Century Fox, including the Twentieth Century Fox Film and Television studios, along with cable and international TV businesses.
News categories: Walt Disney, Twenty-First Century Fox, Robert A. Iger, Orin C. Smith, Rupert Murdoch, Digital TV, MandA, Satellite, Worldwide
Piracy-enabling STB supplier closed down in Australia
Nov 28, 2017 – Following a joint investigation in Australia by the Alliance for Creativity and Entertainment (ACE) and CASBAA's Coalition Against Piracy (CAP) into a large supplier of IPTV set-top boxes, pre-loaded to play pirated movies, television shows, sports programming, and other content has had these operations closed down in Australia.
News categories: CASBAA, Alliance for Creativity and Entertainment, Neil Gane, Zoe Thorogood, Australia, Content Protection, Digital TV, Set Top Box, Streaming
Alliance for Creativity and Entertainment formed to reduce online piracy
Jun 13, 2017 – Thirty content creators and on-demand entertainment companies from around the world have launched the Alliance for Creativity and Entertainment (ACE), a global coalition dedicated to protecting the legal market for creative content and reducing online piracy.
News categories: Alliance for Creativity and Entertainment, Content Protection, Digital TV, Worldwide
iQIYI picks Irdeto DRM and watermarking for ChinaDRM-protected OTT
Mar 24, 2017 – Irdeto has announced that iQIYI has selected Irdeto Rights for ChinaDRM to protect premium content delivery on its OTT streaming platform. iQIYI will also deploy Irdeto Tracemark forensic watermarking.
News categories: Irdeto, iQIYI, ChinaDRM Forum, Doug Lowther, Liu Wenfeng, Ding Wenhua, Apps, CCBN, China, Content Protection, Digital TV, DRM, Streaming
Vudu launches mobile disc-to-digital service
Mar 23, 2017 – Vudu has announced the launch of a mobile offering to convert DVDs and Blu-rays into digital libraries, from a customer’s phone. Mobile Disc-to-Digital turns DVDs and Blu-rays into digital movies with a scan through the Vudu app.
News categories: Vudu, Jeremy Verba, Apps, Blu-ray, Digital TV, Mobile, USA
- ViacomCBS and Altice USA renew distribution agreement
- OTT now at 82% consumer saturation in the U.S.
- MultTV and MwareTV launch multi-tenant TV as a Service in Brazil
- discovery+ now available on LG Smart TVs in the U.S.
- HBO Max to be available at Telia from October 26
- Tata Sky expands quality and availability monitoring with DataMiner
- Slow recovery in European pay TV revenues expected
- Share of smart TVs and UHD TVs in Germany continues to grow
- Vewd enables Smart TV for pay TV operators with Vestel
- LG brings more content to third-party TVs powered by webOS
- 70% of audiences reached via streaming are not reachable via linear
- t4h. Android TV remote control for SKY Brasil
- ATEME joins Google Cloud Partner Advantage Program
- discovery+ to launch in Canada on October 19
- LiveRamp launches enhanced TV platform
- Comscore enables deduplicated ad campaigns on YouTube and YouTube TV
- Four Hartford TV stations launch NEXTGEN TV
- Vestel rolls out Red Bull TV app to Smart TVs across Europe
- Viaccess-Orca powers Vialis hybrid DTT/OTT service
- TalkTalk selects Netgem for launch of 4K TV service