Digital TV News: Twentieth Century Fox
Samsung announces support for HDR10+ on 8K
Sep 4, 2019 – Samsung has announced that it will support the world’s first 8K HDR10+ content, partnering with three European streaming services. CHILI, The Explorers and MEGOGO will adopt 8K HDR10+ along with support for 4K HDR10+.
News categories: Samsung, MEGOGO, Hyogun Lee, Victor Chekanov, Digital TV, Europe, OTT, Russia, Smart TV
Disney and 21st Century Fox agree $38-per-share acquisition deal
Jun 20, 2018 – The Walt Disney Company (NYSE: DIS) has announced that it has signed an amended acquisition agreement with Twenty-First Century Fox (NASDAQ: FOXA, FOX) for $38 per share in cash and stock.
News categories: Walt Disney Company, 21st Century Fox, Robert A. Iger, Digital TV, Europe, MandA, Satellite, USA, Worldwide
U.S. home entertainment spending up 5% in 2017
Jan 9, 2018 – DEG: The Digital Entertainment Group has released its Year-End 2017 Home Entertainment Report. Home entertainment spending reached $20.5 billion as consumers again showed they want access to films and TV shows at home and on the go.
News categories: Digital Entertainment Group, Digital TV, DVD, Market Research, OTT, USA
CTA predicts record U.S. sales in 2018 for AR/VR
Jan 4, 2018 – Augmented reality (AR) and virtual reality (VR) technologies are positioned for record growth in 2018, according to the CTA. And the latest exhibitor update on CES 2018 shows a record-setting footprint for both AR and VR.
News categories: Consumer Technology Association, Karen Chupka, Mark Turner, CES2022, USA, VR
The Walt Disney Company to acquire Twenty-First Century Fox
Dec 14, 2017 – The Walt Disney Company and Twenty-First Century Fox have announced that they have entered into an agreement for Disney to acquire 21st Century Fox, including the Twentieth Century Fox Film and Television studios, along with cable and international TV businesses.
News categories: Walt Disney, Twenty-First Century Fox, Robert A. Iger, Orin C. Smith, Rupert Murdoch, Digital TV, MandA, Satellite, Worldwide
Piracy-enabling STB supplier closed down in Australia
Nov 28, 2017 – Following a joint investigation in Australia by the Alliance for Creativity and Entertainment (ACE) and CASBAA's Coalition Against Piracy (CAP) into a large supplier of IPTV set-top boxes, pre-loaded to play pirated movies, television shows, sports programming, and other content has had these operations closed down in Australia.
News categories: CASBAA, Alliance for Creativity and Entertainment, Neil Gane, Zoe Thorogood, Australia, Content Protection, Digital TV, OTT, Set Top Box
Alliance for Creativity and Entertainment formed to reduce online piracy
Jun 13, 2017 – Thirty content creators and on-demand entertainment companies from around the world have launched the Alliance for Creativity and Entertainment (ACE), a global coalition dedicated to protecting the legal market for creative content and reducing online piracy.
News categories: Alliance for Creativity and Entertainment, Content Protection, Digital TV, Worldwide
iQIYI picks Irdeto DRM and watermarking for ChinaDRM-protected OTT
Mar 24, 2017 – Irdeto has announced that iQIYI has selected Irdeto Rights for ChinaDRM to protect premium content delivery on its OTT streaming platform. iQIYI will also deploy Irdeto Tracemark forensic watermarking.
News categories: Irdeto, iQIYI, ChinaDRM Forum, Doug Lowther, Liu Wenfeng, Ding Wenhua, Apps, CCBN, China, Content Protection, Digital TV, DRM, OTT
Vudu launches mobile disc-to-digital service
Mar 23, 2017 – Vudu has announced the launch of a mobile offering to convert DVDs and Blu-rays into digital libraries, from a customer’s phone. Mobile Disc-to-Digital turns DVDs and Blu-rays into digital movies with a scan through the Vudu app.
News categories: Vudu, Jeremy Verba, Apps, Blu-ray, Digital TV, Mobile, USA
- NEXTGEN TV begins broadcasting in Baltimore
- Zodiac integrates Agama device monitoring into its TV stack
- JW Player raises $100m in Series E funding
- Xandr adopts OpenAP's OpenID audience identifier
- ATEME provides video packaging and storage for AIS in Thailand
- KKStream launches Streaming-as-a-Service solutions
- Astro set-top boxes to include Netflix
- MediaKind powers UEFA Euro 2020 live coverage at MEO
- NAB shows home learning via ATSC 3.0 for students without internet
- U.S. consumers feeling pain of streaming service fragmentation
- Telefonica backs up Movistar+ infrastructure in the cloud with Harmonic
- Irdeto and INVIDI offer integrated addressable TV solution
- UEI providing Android TV remotes to Claro Colombia
- Tubi supports Unified ID 2.0 initiative
- Portugal adds 29,000 pay TV subscribers in 1Q 2021
- 'Go Addressable' TV advertising initiative launched in the U.S.
- Brightcove and ByteArk partner on OTT technology in Thailand
- ATEME powers converged headend at TCCL in India
- NexPlayer joins AWS for Media & Entertainment initiative
- VuClip integrates Bitmovin video encoder on Google Cloud