Digital TV News: IRT
TV antenna usage in US broadband households up 25% in 2019
Mar 26, 2020 – According to Parks Associates, 25% of US broadband households use an antenna to watch local broadcast TV channels, up from 15% in 2018. Roughly half of antenna users do not subscribe to any pay-TV services, either traditional or vMVPD.
News categories: Parks Associates, Steve Nason, Digital TV, Terrestrial, USA
Limelight adds serverless computing to its edge services platform
Mar 24, 2020 – Limelight (Nasdaq: LLNW) has introduced EdgeFunctions, a distributed serverless computing capability. EdgeFunctions allows developers to run code in Limelight's CDN locations, taking advantage of the company's global scale.
News categories: Limelight Networks, Nigel Burmeister, Ghassan Abdo, Advertising, Big Data, Content Distribution, Content Protection, Digital TV, OTT, Worldwide
Samba TV and The Trade Desk extend partnership to Australia
Mar 17, 2020 – Samba TV and The Trade Desk (Nasdaq: TTD) have announced the expansion of their partnership to Australia. The integration of Samba TV’s data in The Trade Desk platform will provide Australian clients with cross screen planning and targeting capabilities.
News categories: Samba TV, The Trade Desk, Dan Ackerman, James Bayes, Advertising, Australia, Big Data, Digital TV, Smart TV
OTT service churn in 2019 reached 35%, up from 28% in 2018
Mar 10, 2020 – Parks Associates has found that the churn rate among all OTT services was 35% in 2019, an increase of 25% from 2018. Churn among vMVPDs (virtual multichannel video programming distributors or online pay-TV providers) was 81% in 2019.
News categories: Parks Associates, Steve Nason, Digital TV, Market Research, OTT, USA, Worldwide
Kantar releases Entertainment On Demand survey results
Mar 4, 2020 – Kantar's Entertainment On Demand service is designed to help understand the consumer journey for subscription services. It shows that in the U.S. subscription fatigue is not yet a major phenomenon in the video industry.
News categories: Kantar, Dominic Sunnebo, Read Cundiff, Australia, Digital TV, Germany, Japan, Market Research, OTT, UK, USA
Kontron and Anevia collaborate on video delivery at the network edge
Mar 2, 2020 – Kontron has partnered with Anevia to offer edge caching technology designed to reduce video traffic in the core network for operators and improve QoE for viewers. The solution targets CSPs, telco operators, broadcasters and OTT service providers.
News categories: Kontron, Anevia, Bertrand Foulon, David Tencer, 5G, Content Distribution, Digital TV, OTT, Worldwide
AT&T TV launches in the U.S.
Mar 2, 2020 – AT&T has launched its live TV service, AT&T TV, nationwide after a successful 13-market pilot. AT&T TV marries live TV with video streaming and apps. Powered by Android TV, the TV experience and more can be controlled by voice with Google Assistant.
News categories: AT&T, Thaddeus Arroyo, Digital TV, OTT, Smart Home, USA
BT Sport and Samsung screen UK's first live 8K sports broadcast
Feb 27, 2020 – BT Sport and Samsung have delivered the UK’s first public live 8K sports broadcast, with a screening of a UEFA Europa League match. The broadcast used a bespoke BT Sport 8K outside broadcast set up, delivering to Samsung QLED 8K TVs.
News categories: Samsung, BT Sport, Dan Hastings, Jamie Hindhaugh, Content Distribution, Digital TV, Smart TV, UK
Sierra Nevada Communications selects Innovative Systems' middleware
Feb 27, 2020 – Sierra Nevada Communications is in the process of converting its legacy cable TV systems to video middleware provided by Innovative Systems. The company plans to migrate from its analog platform to provide an improved experience for their customers.
News categories: Innovative Systems, Sierra Nevada Communications, Jacob Lopes, Cable TV, Content Distribution, Digital TV, Middleware, USA
- Asia Pacific set for 417 million SVOD subscribers
- Comscore sees notable rise in U.S. streaming usage
- Movies Anywhere app comes to LG Smart TVs
- Singtel puts HOOQ into liquidation
- COVID-19 pandemic to reduce global TV brand shipments by 5.8% in 2020
- Six million viewers for Italy's tivùsat
- Wicket Labs adds $1.9m of extra funding
- NENT Group to launch Viaplay in Iceland on April 1st
- TV antenna usage in US broadband households up 25% in 2019
- Coronavirus expected to add 5% to global VOD subscriptions in 2020
- COVID-19 response to bolster cloud gaming revenues
- iQIYI to launch service experience Testing Stations across Asia
- Switch Media's server-side ad insertion integrated with SpringServe's ad platform
- Verimatrix VCAS pre-integrated with Broadcom's Android TV platform
- Sinclair Broadcast adopts Qligent Vision Compliance Monitoring and Analysis
- Comscore reports surge in U.S. in-home data usage
- Limelight adds serverless computing to its edge services platform
- Disney+ rolls out in Europe
- TV panel shipments decreased 3.5% M-o-M in February
- Connected TV landscape is shifting away from paid subscriptions