Digital TV News: Paramount
Pluto TV to launch with Corus in Canada this fall
Jun 8, 2022 – Corus (TSX: CJR.B) and Paramount (NASDAQ: PARA, PARAA) have announced that Pluto TV will launch in Canada this fall. Corus will be the ad representative for what is positioned to become one of the largest FAST services in the country.
News categories: Corus, Pluto TV, Paramount, Greg McLelland, Olivier Jollet, Advertising, Apps, Canada, Digital TV, Streaming
Penthera improves streaming quality with intelligent buffering
May 25, 2022 – Penthera has announced PlayAssure, software that builds a more extensive real-time buffer of video on streaming devices. This improves video quality and reduces or eliminates rebuffering due to unreliable networks.
News categories: Penthera, Brian Kline, Content Distribution, Digital TV, Media Player, Streaming, Worldwide
Pluto TV launches in the Nordics
May 18, 2022 – Pluto TV has expanded to the Nordics, launching in Sweden, Denmark and Norway. The service unveiled a programming line-up that features more than 70 unique and locally curated channels now live in each country.
News categories: Paramount, Pluto TV, Tom Ryan, Denmark, Digital TV, Norway, Streaming, Sweden
U.S. home entertainment spending up 10.9% to $8.7 billion in 1Q 2022
May 13, 2022 – U.S. consumers spent $8.7 billion on movies and television shows consumed at home and on the go in the first quarter of 2022. Spending rose almost 11% from the $7.8 billion consumers spent in the same period of 2021.
News categories: DEG: The Digital Entertainment Group, Digital TV, Market Research, Streaming, USA
NOS shows international holographic transmission using 5G
May 15, 2022 – NOS has carried out the first international holographic transmission using 5G in Portugal. At the event, the director of 'Top Gun: Maverick' was transported as a hologram from London to Lisbon to take part in the press launch of the film in Portugal.
News categories: NOS, Jorge Graça, 5G, Content Distribution, Digital TV, Metaverse, Portugal, UK
Conviva announces streaming audience measurement standard
May 16, 2022 – Conviva is to unveil a streaming audience measurement standard to be released for general availability at CES 2023. The expansion is in partnership with premium streaming providers using Conviva’s real-time cloud sessionization technology.
News categories: Conviva, Keith Zubchevich, Advertising, Big Data, CES2023, Digital TV, Streaming, Worldwide
Global SVOD subscriptions to grow by 485 million from 2021 to 2027
May 16, 2022 – According to Digital TV Research, Global SVOD subscriptions will increase by 485 million between 2021 and 2027 to reach 1.69 billion. Six US-based platforms will have 988 million paying SVOD subscribers by 2027, up from 612 million in 2021.
News categories: Digital TV Research, Simon Murray, Digital TV, Streaming, Subscribers, Worldwide
European VOD Coalition officially inaugurated
May 10, 2022 – The European VOD Coalition has been launched to give a voice to the European audiovisual streaming sector. It will engage with policy makers and regulators on behalf of companies who invest in and distribute audiovisual content in Europe.
News categories: European VOD Coalition, Julia Maxwell, Digital TV, Europe, Regulation, Streaming
Samba TV releases State of Viewership Report for Q1 2022
May 10, 2022 – Samba TV has announced the release of its State of Viewership Report for Q1 2022, showing a complex viewership landscape marked by a saturated linear TV ad market, increased cord-shaving, and a high likelihood for streaming subscriber churn.
News categories: Samba TV, Ashwin Navin, Advertising, Big Data, Digital TV, Market Research, USA
- Major U.S. pay TV providers lost ~1,925,000 subscribers in 2Q 2022
- Pay TV revenues in Australia to continue to decline
- Samba TV enters Spanish market via partnership with Smartclip
- Ad-supported Disney+ tier to launch in the U.S. on December 8th
- Foxxum launches RDK-based OS for Connected TVs
- Gracenote enables optimized program metadata distribution
- VIZIO Account simplifies subscriptions for its Smart TV customers
- Discovery+ launching on Sling TV and Dish TV
- FAST Channels TV provides linear channels for Digital TV Cyprus OTT platform
- Video streaming services lost further playtime per user in H1 2022
- BARB releases Establishment Survey data for the UK for Q2 2022
- Simulmedia and TiVo renew data-licensing partnership
- Paramount+ joins Roku Channel’s Premium Subscriptions lineup
- Altice USA residential video RGUs down 85,000 in 2Q 2022
- DISH Network pay TV subscribers down 257,000 in 2Q 2022
- Over six million Android TV OS deployments for iWedia
- RTL Deutschland and Seven.One Entertainment to create addressable TV JV
- Charter residential video customers down 240,000 in 2Q 2022
- Access Advance adds further patent owners
- Disney+ app integrated on Foxtel set top boxes