Liberty Global Vodafone deal approved by European Commission
Jul 18, 2019 – European Commission has announced its final approval of the sale of Liberty Global’s operations in Germany, Hungary, Romania and the Czech Republic to Vodafone Group. The transaction, announced May 9, 2018, has a total enterprise value of approximately €19 billion [$21.5] billion, on a GAAP basis.
News categories: Liberty Global, European Commission, Vodafone, Mike Fries, Cable TV, Czech Republic, Digital TV, EU, Germany, Hungary, MnA, Regulation, Romania
EU opens antitrust investigation into Broadcom
Jun 26, 2019 – The European Commission has opened a formal antitrust investigation to assess whether, in TV and modem chipset markets, Broadcom may be restricting competition through exclusivity practices, in breach of EU rules.
News categories: European Commission, Margrethe Vestager, Digital TV, EU, Regulation, Semiconductor, Set Top Box
Swiss Competition Commission to review Sunrise's UPC takeover
Jun 3, 2019 – The Swiss Competition Commission (COMCO/WEKO) has decided to examine in detail the planned takeover of UPC Switzerland by Sunrise from its owner Liberty Global. A decision from COMCO/WEKO is expected by the beginning of October 2019.
News categories: Sunrise, WEKO, Cable TV, Digital TV, MnA, Regulation, Switzerland
FCC opens up for ATSC 3.0 license applications
May 23, 2019 – The Media Bureau of the U.S. Federal Communications Commission (FCC) has announced that it will begin accepting Next Generation Television (ATSC 3.0) license applications in the commission’s licensing and management system on May 28, 2019.
News categories: Federal Communications Commission, ATSC, Content Distribution, Digital TV, Regulation, USA
Digital Alert Systems and Kaltura bring EAS Alerts to Cloud TV services
May 14, 2019 – Digital Alert Systems and Kaltura have announced that the Kaltura TV Platform is first to support Digital Alert Systems' EAS-NET communications protocol, allowing customers to comply with EAS/CAP regulations by providing critical emergency messages within their Cloud TV deployments.
News categories: Digital Alert Systems, Kaltura, Bill Robertson, Gideon Gilboa, Digital TV, OTT, PAYTV19, Regulation, USA
EU opens competition investigation into Telia's acquisition of Bonnier Broadcasting
May 10, 2019 – The European Commission has opened an investigation to assess the proposed acquisition of Bonnier Broadcasting by Telia Company. The Commission is concerned that the merged entity may shut out competitors from the audio-visual sector in Finland and Sweden.
News categories: European Commission, Telia Company, Bonnier Broadcasting, Digital TV, Finland, MnA, Regulation, Sweden
Chile postpones analogue TV switch off to 2024
May 3, 2019 – The government of Chile has announced a revised plan for the implementation of digital television over the next four years. Under the plan, the expectation is that 80% of Chileans will have a digital signal by 2022.
News categories: SUBTEL, Chile, Digital TV, Regulation, Terrestrial
EU set to enhance cross-border access to online content
Apr 15, 2019 – The EU is taking steps to increase the number of TV and radio programmes available online for European consumers. The Council has adopted a directive which will facilitate the licensing of copyright-protected material contained in such programmes so that they can be made available throughout the EU.
News categories: European Council, Digital TV, EU, OTT, Regulation
Competition authorities approve Tamedia investment in Zattoo
Apr 2, 2019 – In August 2018 Tamedia announced that it intended to increase its holding in Zattoo to over 50%. Following their examination, the Swiss Federal Competition Commission (COMCO) and the Federal Cartel Office of Germany have approved Tamedia’s majority interest.
News categories: Zattoo, Tamedia, Bea Knecht, Nick Brambring, Samuel Hügli, Digital TV, Germany, IPTV, MnA, Regulation, Switzerland
- Vewd brings the full broadcast experience to Smart TVs
- HEVC Advance royalty rates to remain at current levels
- Alphonso signs ACR distribution deals with Seiki and Skyworth
- THEO Technologies and Synamedia form HESP Alliance
- U.S. consumers spend nearly seven hours per week watching online video
- NEXTGEN TV launches at four TV stations in Salt Lake City
- FCC designates Huawei and ZTE as national security threats
- STARZPLAY available from UPC Switzerland
- Verizon Media launches TV tune-in attribution with Inscape
- Eros Now partners with Dish TV India
- NexGuard watermarking integrated into AWS Elemental MediaConvert
- TRAI reports pay TV numbers for India at end-2019
- Altibox takes Verimatrix security into the Cloud
- Consolidated Communications introduces CCiTV in Texas
- Brat TV chooses Amagi to expand streaming TV footprint
- Churn rate for U.S. OTT services at 41% in Q1 2020
- Origin Broadband launches Origin TV in the UK with Netgem
- Mobile operators to generate 170 million SVOD subscribers
- NLogic and TVbeat bring holistic TV ad management to Canada
- Netflix, Hulu user numbers fell as COVID-19 measures were relaxed