Digital TV News: Liberty Global
Sunrise discussing possible UPC Schweiz acquisition with Liberty Global
Feb 5, 2019 – Sunrise Communications has noted recent media and market speculation regarding a potential transaction with UPC Schweiz, a subsidiary of Liberty Global. Sunrise confirms it is in discussions regarding a possible acquisition.
News categories: Sunrise Communications, UPC, Liberty Global, Cable TV, Digital TV, MnA, Switzerland
Sky invests in Synamedia
Jan 8, 2019 – Synamedia has announced that Sky has taken a stake in the business, joining majority shareholder the Permira funds. Both Sky and its parent company Comcast are long-time Synamedia customers as well as strategic development partners.
News categories: Synamedia, Sky, Yves Padrines, Andrew Griffith, Content Distribution, Content Protection, Digital TV, Middleware, MnA, Worldwide
Introducing 10G: The next great leap for broadband
Jan 7, 2019 – NCTA, CableLabs and Cable Europe have introduced, at CES, the cable industry’s vision for delivering 10 gigabit networks, or 10G to consumers. To support the rollout, Intel will deliver 10G-ready technology from the network infrastructure to home gateways.
News categories: NCTA, CableLabs, Cable Europe, Intel Corp, Michael Powell, Phil McKinney, Broadband, Cable TV, CES, Digital TV, Semiconductor, USA, Worldwide
Synamedia makes CES debut
Jan 3, 2019 – Synamedia will bring its newest solutions to CES 2019. The company also unveiled security software that combats the rapid rise in account sharing between friends and families, turning it instead into a new revenue-generating opportunity.
News categories: Synamedia, Yves Padrines, CES, Content Distribution, Content Protection, Middleware, Worldwide
M7 to buy Liberty Global's Eastern European DTH operations
Dec 21, 2018 – M7 Group has announced that it has agreed to buy the DTH satellite TV operations of Liberty Global (NASDAQ: LBTYA, LBTYB and LBTYK) currently serving four Eastern European markets (Hungary, Czech Republic, Slovakia and Romania).
News categories: M7 Group, Liberty Global, Hans Troelstra, Czech Republic, Digital TV, Hungary, MnA, Romania, Satellite, Slovakia
EU to investigate acquisition by Vodafone of Liberty Global businesses
Dec 11, 2018 – The EU has opened an investigation to assess Vodafone's proposed acquisition of Liberty Global's business in Czechia, Germany, Hungary and Romania. The Commission is concerned the takeover may reduce competition in Germany and Czechia.
News categories: European Commission, Vodafone, Liberty Global, Margrethe Vestager, Cable TV, Czech Republic, Digital TV, EU, Germany, MnA
Liberty Global selects Cadent's addressable TV ad platform
Dec 4, 2018 – Cadent's addressable TV advertising platform has been selected by Liberty Global. The platform will enable Liberty Global to deliver different targeted ads to households during the same program on behalf of broadcasters and content providers.
News categories: Cadent, Liberty Global, Nick Troiano, Advertising, Cable TV, Digital TV, Mobile, Set Top Box, Worldwide
The number of cable homes in Europe grew once again in 2017
Nov 7, 2018 – The number of cable homes in Europe once again grew in 2017, reaching 69.2 million and comprising 36.3% of all TV households. This was the largest number of cable homes in Europe since 2009 according to IHS Markit (Nasdaq: INFO) and Cable Europe.
News categories: IHS Markit, Cable Europe, Maria Rua Aguete, Cable TV, Digital TV, Europe, Market Research, Subscribers
Plume and Samsung launch OpenSync open source initiative
Oct 23, 2018 – Plume and Samsung have announced the formation of an open source software initiative called OpenSync. The initiative creates a silicon, CPE, and cloud-agnostic approach for the curation, delivery and management of emerging residential services leveraging managed Wi-Fi.
News categories: Plume, Samsung, Liberty Global, Fahri Diner, Chanwoo Park, Dan Hennessy, Shawn Omstead, Fraser Stirling, Greg Fischer, BBWF, Middleware, Smart Home, Worldwide
- Afghanistan Broadcasting System selects EUTELSAT 53A as its DTH platform
- StarHub pay TV households down 49,000 in 2018
- Encoding.com selected by Akamai as preferred partner for VOD transcoding
- U.S. smart speaker sales will exceed 64 million in 2022
- Brightcove to acquire Ooyala’s online video platform business
- DISH TV down ~380k; Sling TV up ~50k subs in 4Q 2018
- TVSquared partners with TiVo for deterministic attribution
- Telenet designs new YUGO bundle entirely around the smartphone
- FreeWheel chooses Nielsen to power audience-based multiscreen TV advertising
- GTPL Hathway adds 170,000 CATV digital subscribers in 4Q 2018
- Tastemade expands linear OTT footprint with Amagi
- FreeWheel Council for Premium Video Europe releases paper on programmatic technology
- Ethiopian broadcasters take video capacity on EUTELSAT 8 West B
- Survey finds one in four Malaysian consumers use pirate TV boxes
- Digital Voice Assistants in use to triple to 8 billion by 2023
- Amazon to acquire mesh WiFi company, eero
- LiveRamp expands identity solution to include connected TV
- CuriosityStream raises $140M in private placement
- Hong Kong to begin analogue TV switch off on November 30, 2020
- China's online video subscribers to surpass 300 million in 2019