Digital TV News: Liberty Global
EU to investigate acquisition by Vodafone of Liberty Global businesses
Dec 11, 2018 – The EU has opened an investigation to assess Vodafone's proposed acquisition of Liberty Global's business in Czechia, Germany, Hungary and Romania. The Commission is concerned the takeover may reduce competition in Germany and Czechia.
News categories: European Commission, Vodafone, Liberty Global, Margrethe Vestager, Cable TV, Czech Republic, Digital TV, EU, Germany, MnA
Liberty Global selects Cadent's addressable TV ad platform
Dec 4, 2018 – Cadent's addressable TV advertising platform has been selected by Liberty Global. The platform will enable Liberty Global to deliver different targeted ads to households during the same program on behalf of broadcasters and content providers.
News categories: Cadent, Liberty Global, Nick Troiano, Advertising, Cable TV, Digital TV, Multiscreen, Set Top Box, Worldwide
The number of cable homes in Europe grew once again in 2017
Nov 7, 2018 – The number of cable homes in Europe once again grew in 2017, reaching 69.2 million and comprising 36.3% of all TV households. This was the largest number of cable homes in Europe since 2009 according to IHS Markit (Nasdaq: INFO) and Cable Europe.
News categories: IHS Markit, Cable Europe, Maria Rua Aguete, Cable TV, Digital TV, Europe, Market Research, Subscribers
Plume and Samsung launch OpenSync open source initiative
Oct 23, 2018 – Plume and Samsung have announced the formation of an open source software initiative called OpenSync. The initiative creates a silicon, CPE, and cloud-agnostic approach for the curation, delivery and management of emerging residential services leveraging managed Wi-Fi.
News categories: Plume, Samsung, Liberty Global, Fahri Diner, Chanwoo Park, Dan Hennessy, Shawn Omstead, Fraser Stirling, Greg Fischer, BBWF, Middleware, Smart Home, Worldwide
ARRIS extends growth with customer wins in APAC
Oct 23, 2018 – ARRIS International (NASDAQ: ARRS) has announced two high-profile customer wins – Foxtel (Australia) and SK Broadband (Korea)– showcasing continued international momentum for its expanded portfolio.
News categories: ARRIS International, Foxtel, SK Broadband, Steve McCaffery, Australia, Cable TV, Digital TV, IPTV, Korea, Satellite, Set Top Box
Liberty Global launches 'Horizon 4' next-generation platform
Sep 19, 2018 – Liberty Global has unveiled its next-generation TV entertainment platform, 'Horizon 4'. The Horizon 4 suite of products includes an STB with 4K Ultra HD picture quality, a remote-control with voice capabilities and an upgraded version of Liberty's 'GO' mobile app.
News categories: Liberty Global, Enrique Rodriguez, Mark Giesbers, Apps, Cable TV, Digital TV, Europe, RDK, Set Top Box, UX
ARRIS announcing additional customer wins at IBC
Sep 13, 2018 – ARRIS (NASDAQ: ARRS) has announced a number of customer wins from around the world. Recent wins with HBO Latin America, Liberty Global in Germany, Sky Italia and Stofa in Denmark underscore ARRIS's international leadership.
News categories: ARRIS International, Steve McCaffery, Cable TV, Denmark, Digital TV, Germany, IBCShow, Italy, Satellite, Set Top Box, UK
Nuance' Dragon TV grows to one billion consumer interactions per month
Sep 13, 2018 – At IBC, Nuance Communications has announced that users are now interacting with its Dragon TV platform more than one billion times per month, demonstrating increasing affinity for voice-powered control in the home.
News categories: Nuance Communications, Adam Thibault, Big Data, Digital TV, IBCShow, UX, Worldwide
Telenet and Media Distillery partner to improve timeshifted viewing experience
Sep 12, 2018 – Telenet and Media Distillery are announcing at IBC that they are using AI to improve the viewing experience for users of PVRs and replay services. The solution is based on Media Distillery's technology for accurately identifying when programmes actually start.
News categories: Media Distillery, Telenet, Roland Sars, Dimme Pleysier, Belgium, Big Data, Digital TV, IBCShow, UX
- Androidmov Technology unveils IPTV UX software
- Updated specifications for digital distribution of film and TV released
- 2019 predictions from Openwave Mobility
- EU agrees rules to facilitate access to online TV across borders
- 28% of U.S. smart speaker owners use it to control a smart home device
- Consumer IoT to be worth $6.6bn for telcos
- Viaccess-Orca to power Guigo TV live OTT service in Brazil
- Turkcell chooses Metrological to provide TV+ app store
- Wyplay source code powers Telefónica IPTV in Argentina
- EU to investigate acquisition by Vodafone of Liberty Global businesses
- Verizon begins Fios TV One rollout
- Vubiquity and Discover Digital launch VOD with TelOne Zimbabwe
- Telefonica Spain upgrades Movistar+ UI to add Netflix
- Go See TV and Flowplayer launch Shoppable Content Player
- Nordija wins IPTV contract from US fibre operator Ting
- Deutsche Telekom and MediaKind first to stream 6K tiled 360° live sport
- Shanghai sees world's first 4K UHD live broadcast via 5G network slicing
- Freeview NZ PVR combines Freeview features with streaming apps
- Mirada wins contract with Skytel in Mongolia
- 7Park Data tracks path from SVOD viewing to buying on Amazon.com