Digital TV News: Liberty Global
Sunrise terminates plan to buy UPC Switzerland
Nov 13, 2019 – Liberty Global has received a notification of termination from Sunrise Communications regarding the amended Share Purchase Agreement concerning UPC Switzerland. The agreement provides for Sunrise to pay a CHF 50 million termination fee.
News categories: Liberty Global, Sunrise Communications, Mike Fries, Severina Pascu, Cable TV, Digital TV, MnA, Switzerland
Synamedia appoints VP for Advanced Advertising and Data
Aug 27, 2019 – Synamedia has appointed Scott Kewley as VP Advanced Advertising and Data Products. Scott will lead Synamedia’s addressable advertising and data monetization business, building on the firm's collaboration with Sky on its AdSmart platform.
News categories: Synamedia, Scott Kewley, Jean-Marc Racine, Advertising, Big Data, Digital TV, Worldwide
Liberty Global organic video subscriber losses at 54,900 for 2Q 2019
Aug 7, 2019 – Liberty Global (NASDAQ: LBTYA, LBTYB/LBTYK) has announced results for the second quarter of 2019. The company's continuing operations ended the quarter with 8.44 million video subscribers, a reduction of 54,900 on an organic basis in the quarter.
News categories: Liberty Global, Belgium, Cable TV, Digital TV, Ireland, Poland, Results, Slovakia, Subscribers, Switzerland, UK
Liberty Global Vodafone deal completed
Jul 31, 2019 – Liberty Global (NASDAQ: LBTYA, LBTYB and LBTYK) has announced that it has completed the sale of its operations in Germany, Hungary, Romania and the Czech Republic to Vodafone for approximately €19.0 billion on a U.S. GAAP basis.
News categories: Liberty Global, Vodafone, Cable TV, Czech Republic, Digital TV, Germany, Hungary, MnA, Romania
Liberty Global Vodafone deal approved by European Commission
Jul 18, 2019 – European Commission has announced its final approval of the sale of Liberty Global’s operations in Germany, Hungary, Romania and the Czech Republic to Vodafone Group. The transaction, announced May 9, 2018, has a total enterprise value of approximately €19 billion [$21.5] billion, on a GAAP basis.
News categories: Liberty Global, European Commission, Vodafone, Mike Fries, Cable TV, Czech Republic, Digital TV, EU, Germany, Hungary, MnA, Regulation, Romania
Over 100 million monthly active users for ThinkAnalytics' cloud content discovery
Jul 9, 2019 – ThinkAnalytics has announced that its cloud-based personalized content discovery platform is the first in the industry to scale to over 100 million monthly active users in the cloud. Four of the firm’s OTT customers now have a combined user base that exceeds that number.
News categories: ThinkAnalytics, Peter Docherty, Big Data, Digital TV, UX, Worldwide
Europe is not cord-cutting right across the board
Jun 13, 2019 – The European Audiovisual Observatory has published a report on pay audiovisual services in Europe, covering the state of play for the two main segments: linear pay TV and SVOD. The report also analyses the main factors likely to influence their development.
News categories: European Audiovisual Observatory, Laura Ene, Cable TV, Digital TV, Europe, IPTV, Market Research, OTT, Satellite
Over 50 million RDK device deployments
Jun 5, 2019 – At ANGA COM 2019, RDK Management shared details about the adoption of RDK open source software used to power customer-premises equipment from video and broadband services providers worldwide. The number of RDK devices deployed is now over 50 million.
News categories: RDK Management, Steve Heeb, ANGA COM, Digital TV, Gateway, Market Research, Middleware, Worldwide
Swiss Competition Commission to review Sunrise's UPC takeover
Jun 3, 2019 – The Swiss Competition Commission (COMCO/WEKO) has decided to examine in detail the planned takeover of UPC Switzerland by Sunrise from its owner Liberty Global. A decision from COMCO/WEKO is expected by the beginning of October 2019.
News categories: Sunrise, WEKO, Cable TV, Digital TV, MnA, Regulation, Switzerland
- Fincons Group joins Deutsche TV-Plattform
- Samba TV taps Oracle Moat to measure viewability of CTV ads
- Amazon Prime Video app added to TiVo devices at Atlantic Broadband
- TekSavvy TV launches Cloud PVR and advanced features
- CJ Hello deploys ATEME transcoding solution
- US: Netflix grabs the most attention, but its reign will be challenged
- AWS compute and storage available at the edge of 5G networks
- FOX selects AWS as its cloud and machine learning provider
- TiVo launches Prime Video App to its U.S. pay-TV operator customers
- KPN integrates Amazon Prime Video into the TV menu
- Vodafone UK offers Apple TV 4K with unlimited broadband and mobile data
- A1 Bulgaria launches advanced TV with Zappware
- Tru Optik and Anzu.io to bring targeting to in-game advertising
- 14.5 million Australians now paying TV subscriptions
- EE hosts 5G-powered multi-location augmented reality gig
- Four-fifths of broadcasters considering personalised ads
- 3Q 2019 TV shipments grow 16.8% QoQ owing to peak season
- Worldwide spending on AR/VR expected to reach $18.8bn in 2020
- 13.7 million EU citizens streaming unauthorised IPTV
- WIND-Hellas launching Cloud Recordings with Zappware