Digital TV News: Omdia
Movistar+ presents app platform for making purchases via the TV
Dec 18, 2020 – Movistar+ has launched a TV-commerce application platform to enable its users to make purchases via their TVs in the comfort of their homes. 'Living Apps' enable purchases to be made using the remote control or by voice.
News categories: Movistar, Óscar Solá, Apps, Digital TV, IPTV, Satellite, Set Top Box, Smart Home, Spain
U.S. consumers spent over $7bn on home entertainment in 3Q 2020
Nov 11, 2020 – According to DEG: The Digital Entertainment Group, U.S. consumers spent $7.3 billion to watch movies and TV shows for home and personal viewing in the third quarter of 2020, almost 18% up on the same period one year earlier.
News categories: Digital Entertainment Group, Digital TV, DVD, Market Research, OTT, USA
LCD TV makers plan aggressive TV display purchasing for 2021
Oct 27, 2020 – According to Omdia, total LCD TV panel shipments are set to decline by 6% in 2021. However, the global top 15 TV brands want to grow their LCD TV shipments to new highs, up 9% YoY, if they are able to secure panel supply.
News categories: Omdia, Deborah Yang, China, Digital TV, Market Research, Smart TV, Worldwide
Linear TV remains dominant form of television viewership in 2019
Jul 28, 2020 – According to Omdia, linear TV accounted for 63% of TV viewing in the U.S. in 2019, compared to 16% for long-form viewing and 12% for PVR time-shifted TV. The fastest-growing segment of the non-linear video market was social media.
News categories: Omdia, Rob Moyser, Digital TV, Europe, Market Research, Social TV, USA
Disney+ becomes third-largest SVOD provider in the U.K.
Jun 11, 2020 – Just weeks after its launch in the United Kingdom, Disney+ in April emerged as the country's third-largest SVOD player, with 4.3 million subscribers, according to survey data from Omdia.
News categories: Omdia, Maria Rua Aguete, Digital TV, Market Research, OTT, UK
Large-area FPD panel availability set to tighten significantly in 2021
May 11, 2020 – According to Omdia, the coronavirus crisis is impacting FPD demand and creating uncertainty. Challenged to maintain profitability in this environment, Korean suppliers have accelerated plans to completely exit LCD TV panel production in Korea in 2020.
News categories: Omdia, Charles Annis, COVID-19, Digital TV, Korea, Market Research, Smart TV, Worldwide
Omdia cuts 2020 TV shipment forecast by 10 percentage points
Mar 31, 2020 – Omdia has slashed its 2020 global television shipment outlook by nearly 10 percentage points, with the market now expected to undergo a sharp downturn due to coronavirus mitigation measures initiated by governments worldwide.
News categories: Omdia, Paul Gray, Digital TV, Market Research, Smart TV, Worldwide
- ViacomCBS, DISH Media, Adcuratio enable broadcast inventory on MVPD STBs
- DoubleVerify earns MRC accreditation for CTV measurement
- Philco launches Roku TV lineup in Brazil
- Chips&Media introduces WAVE6 series of video codec IPs
- Worldwide semiconductor revenue up 7.3% in 2020
- Kantar expands TV audience measurement panel in Georgia
- TDS introduces live, streaming TV product
- LG announces 2021 NEXTGEN TVs
- GTPL Hathway digital CATV subscribers unchanged YoY at 7.35 million
- Nordic consumers’ media spend unaffected by the pandemic
- Amazon launches mobile-only video plan in India
- VUALTO event orchestration and DRM chosen for ITV Hub VOD delivery
- Nielsen now tracking premium theatrical films on VOD platforms
- rlaxx TV now available on Amazon Fire TV and Android TV
- SK Broadband selects NAGRA forensic watermarking for IPTV STBs
- 24i integrates Float Left Roku framework with its app platform
- Survey shows 27% of U.S. households plan to cut cable TV in 2021
- Cellnex Telecom selects Intertrust DRM for LOVEStv
- Synamedia integrates security and watermarking with Akamai
- Five-year CAGR of 1.1% for pay-TV revenues in Thailand