Digital TV News: Jose Maria Alvarez-Pallete
CMA gives regulatory approval for Virgin Media, O2 combination
May 20, 2021 – The UK’s Competition & Markets Authority (CMA) has announced its final approval of the 50:50 joint venture between Liberty Global and Telefonica to combine Virgin Media and O2. The transaction is now expected to close by June 1, 2021.
News categories: Liberty Global, Telefónica, Mike Fries, José Maria Alvarez-Pallete, Cable TV, Digital TV, MandA, Mobile, UK
Liberty Global and Telefónica to merge UK operations
May 7, 2020 – Liberty Global (NASDAQ: LBTYA, LBTYB, LBTYK) and Telefónica (Madrid: TEF) have agreed to merge their operating businesses in the UK to form a 50:50 joint venture. The combination will create an integrated communications provider with over 46 million subscribers.
News categories: Liberty Global, Telefónica, Mike Fries, Jose Maria Alvarez-Pallete, Cable TV, MandA, Mobile, UK
Telefónica and Microsoft collaborate on AI for telcos
Feb 25, 2019 – Telefónica and Microsoft have announced a strategic partnership. The agreement will combine the power of Telefónica's networks, customer proposition and global reach with the Microsoft Azure AI platform to design services telcos will offer in the future.
News categories: Telefónica, Microsoft, José María Álvarez-Pallete, Satya Nadella, Europe, Latin America, MWC21, Smart Home, UX, Worldwide
Telefonica Spain upgrades Movistar+ UI to add Netflix
Dec 11, 2018 – Telefónica España has announced the arrival of Netflix on Movistar. Movistar customers now have the option of new Fusión packages that includes Netflix, access to more mobile data and an additional mobile line.
News categories: Telefónica, Netflix, María Jesús Almazor, José María Álvarez-Pallete, Reed Hastings, María Ferreras, Apps, Digital TV, IPTV, Set Top Box, Spain, UX
Telefónica to integrate Netflix into its TV and video platforms
May 24, 2018 – Netflix (NASDAQ: NFLX) and Telefónica (NYSE: TEF:US) have announced a global partnership to integrate Netflix’s service into Telefónica’s TV and video platforms in Europe and Latin America.
News categories: Telefónica, Netflix, José María Álvarez-Pallete, Reed Hastings, Digital TV, Europe, Latin America, Streaming
Cognitive intelligence platform enables Telefónica customers to manage their own data
Feb 26, 2017 – Telefónica has announced a platform that will be the basis for a new relationship model with its customers. AURA will enable users to manage their digital experiences with the company and control the data generated by using Telefónica’s products and services.
News categories: Telefónica, José María Álvarez-Pallete, Chema Alonso, Big Data, Digital TV, MWC21, Spain
- Wurl offers global FAST channel distribution for content companies
- Accedo and Nreal bring streaming to lightweight AR glasses
- HBO up 1.9 million; Vrio down 178,000 video subs in 3Q 2021
- RTL Group and Amobee to form TechAlliance addressable TV JV
- Claro Box TV streaming in Colombia powered by Harmonic
- Verizon FIOS consumer video subscribers down 68,000 in 3Q 2021
- Vodafone España provides real-time accurate EPG with Alpha Networks and MediaData TV
- Vewd and Mediatek bring entertainment to vehicle rear-seats
- Conviva expands into advertising audience measurement
- C Spire to acquire Troy Cablevision
- Software Freedom Conservancy sues Vizio for GPL violations
- Altibox Android TV service goes live with 3SS and Technicolor
- Sunrise UPC launches yallo TV in Switzerland
- ATEME embeds Viaccess-Orca contribution watermarking
- Deloitte releases results of Digital Media Trends Fall Pulse survey
- RFE receives Android TV Operator Tier certification for IPTV STB
- Disney+ coming to Hisense and Toshiba TVs with VIDAA Smart OS
- Tremor International acquires Spearad
- TekSavvy TV footprint expands across Canada
- Airtel launches Video Platform as a Service product