Digital TV News: Omdia
SE Asia online video revenues to reach $4.5bn in 2025
Aug 31, 2021 – Online video market revenues in South East Asia are set to rise to $4.5bn by the end of 2025 according to Omdia. It's forecast that 62% revenues will come from advertising in 2025.
News categories: Omdia, Kia Ling Teoh, Jun Wen Woo, Asia, Digital TV, Market Research, Streaming
DEG releases mid-year 2021 home entertainment report
Aug 10, 2021 – U.S. consumers spent $15.7 billion on movies and television shows consumed at home and on the go in the first six months of 2021, according to DEG's mid-year 2021 home entertainment report.
News categories: Digital Entertainment Group, Digital TV, Market Research, Streaming, USA
Vewd offers ATSC 3.0 integration options
Jun 10, 2021 – Vewd has announced an ATSC 3.0 middleware integration option for Vewd OS, Vewd Broadcast Plus and Vewd Core, shortening time-to-market for TV and set-top box manufacturers launching NEXTGEN TV devices.
News categories: Vewd, Omdia, Aneesh Rajaram, Paul Gray, ATSC 3, Digital TV, Middleware, Set Top Box, Smart TV, USA
Movistar+ presents app platform for making purchases via the TV
Dec 18, 2020 – Movistar+ has launched a TV-commerce application platform to enable its users to make purchases via their TVs in the comfort of their homes. 'Living Apps' enable purchases to be made using the remote control or by voice.
News categories: Movistar, Óscar Solá, Apps, Digital TV, IPTV, Satellite, Set Top Box, Smart Home, Spain
U.S. consumers spent over $7bn on home entertainment in 3Q 2020
Nov 11, 2020 – According to DEG: The Digital Entertainment Group, U.S. consumers spent $7.3 billion to watch movies and TV shows for home and personal viewing in the third quarter of 2020, almost 18% up on the same period one year earlier.
News categories: Digital Entertainment Group, Digital TV, DVD, Market Research, Streaming, USA
LCD TV makers plan aggressive TV display purchasing for 2021
Oct 27, 2020 – According to Omdia, total LCD TV panel shipments are set to decline by 6% in 2021. However, the global top 15 TV brands want to grow their LCD TV shipments to new highs, up 9% YoY, if they are able to secure panel supply.
News categories: Omdia, Deborah Yang, China, Digital TV, Market Research, Smart TV, Worldwide
Linear TV remains dominant form of television viewership in 2019
Jul 28, 2020 – According to Omdia, linear TV accounted for 63% of TV viewing in the U.S. in 2019, compared to 16% for long-form viewing and 12% for PVR time-shifted TV. The fastest-growing segment of the non-linear video market was social media.
News categories: Omdia, Rob Moyser, Digital TV, Europe, Market Research, Social TV, USA
Disney+ becomes third-largest SVOD provider in the U.K.
Jun 11, 2020 – Just weeks after its launch in the United Kingdom, Disney+ in April emerged as the country's third-largest SVOD player, with 4.3 million subscribers, according to survey data from Omdia.
News categories: Omdia, Maria Rua Aguete, Digital TV, Market Research, Streaming, UK
Large-area FPD panel availability set to tighten significantly in 2021
May 11, 2020 – According to Omdia, the coronavirus crisis is impacting FPD demand and creating uncertainty. Challenged to maintain profitability in this environment, Korean suppliers have accelerated plans to completely exit LCD TV panel production in Korea in 2020.
News categories: Omdia, Charles Annis, COVID-19, Digital TV, Korea, Market Research, Smart TV, Worldwide
- Roku launches player line-up for Germany
- 5G Broadcast and DTT can share UHF band and broadcast infrastructure
- SVOD household penetration in Malaysia to reach 27% in 2025
- Accedo powers Arabic SVOD service from TenTime
- Wurl unveils performance marketing service for streamers
- Origin selects Kantar for UK media measurement
- Germany to overtake the UK by SVOD subscribers
- Roku launches OneView ad platform for Canada
- NEXTGEN TV launched on five local TV stations in St. Louis, MO
- Redbox signs distribution agreement with Vewd
- SpringServe first independent ad server to integrate with IRIS.TV
- Robust growth forecast for SVOD revenue in India
- Latest Vestel TVs certified for DTS:X immersive audio
- Wiztivi develops UI for Sagemcom Video Soundbox STB
- AlphaOTT partners with STI Telecom for OTT/IPTV headend services
- UEI providing voice-enabled remote for Astro's Ultra set-tops
- Ross Video withdraws from IBC 2021 exhibition
- Comcast brings XiOne streaming box to the U.S.
- Liberty Global to sell UPC Polska to iliad’s Play subsidiary
- Subscription fatigue in Australia? Not yet but on the way