Digital TV News: Omdia
Linear TV remains dominant form of television viewership in 2019
Jul 28, 2020 – According to Omdia, linear TV accounted for 63% of TV viewing in the U.S. in 2019, compared to 16% for long-form viewing and 12% for PVR time-shifted TV. The fastest-growing segment of the non-linear video market was social media.
News categories: Omdia, Rob Moyser, Digital TV, Europe, Market Research, Social TV, USA
Disney+ becomes third-largest SVOD provider in the U.K.
Jun 11, 2020 – Just weeks after its launch in the United Kingdom, Disney+ in April emerged as the country's third-largest SVOD player, with 4.3 million subscribers, according to survey data from Omdia.
News categories: Omdia, Maria Rua Aguete, Digital TV, Market Research, OTT, UK
Large-area FPD panel availability set to tighten significantly in 2021
May 11, 2020 – According to Omdia, the coronavirus crisis is impacting FPD demand and creating uncertainty. Challenged to maintain profitability in this environment, Korean suppliers have accelerated plans to completely exit LCD TV panel production in Korea in 2020.
News categories: Omdia, Charles Annis, COVID-19, Digital TV, Korea, Market Research, Smart TV, Worldwide
Omdia cuts 2020 TV shipment forecast by 10 percentage points
Mar 31, 2020 – Omdia has slashed its 2020 global television shipment outlook by nearly 10 percentage points, with the market now expected to undergo a sharp downturn due to coronavirus mitigation measures initiated by governments worldwide.
News categories: Omdia, Paul Gray, Digital TV, Market Research, Smart TV, Worldwide
US media players get on AVOD bandwagon as market revenue soars
Dec 10, 2019 – AVOD service providers in the U.S. are bracing themselves as media giants including Disney+ and Apple TV+ join the latest wave of competitors. These huge media firms are upping the ante, drawn by an increasingly lucrative market, according to IHS Markit.
News categories: IHS Markit, Sarah Henschel, Kia Ling Teoh, Digital TV, Market Research, OTT, USA
EU cable revenue hits all-time high of €24 billion in 2018
Nov 13, 2019 – Driven by rising consumer demand for broadband services, EU cable revenue rose to a record high of €24 billion in 2018, up 3% from €23.3 billion in 2017, according to the European Broadband Cable Yearbook offered by Cable Europe and IHS Markit.
News categories: IHS Markit, Cable Europe, Maria Rua Aguete, Cable TV, Digital TV, EU, Market Research
Limited reach of Apple TV+ and Disney+ hinders services’ adoption
Oct 10, 2019 – With the Apple TV+ app initially addressing only about half of the total U.S. market, the service is likely to encounter limited subscriber growth compared to competitive offerings that have a wider reach, according to IHS Markit.
News categories: IHS Markit, Fateha Begum, Digital TV, Market Research, OTT, USA
U.S.-China trade dispute makes Roku top Smart TV OS in North America
Jul 24, 2019 – According to IHS Markit, the North American TV market has increased its adoption of Smart TVs, particularly those based on the Roku TV OS. Smart TVs in 1Q 2019 accounted for 89% of TV shipments into North America, a record high for the region.
News categories: IHS Markit, Paul Gray, Digital TV, Market Research, Middleware, North America, Smart TV
US-China trade disputes prompt TV makers to cut display panel demand
May 30, 2019 – Amid rising concerns over the intensifying trade war between the U.S. and China, South Korean and Chinese TV makers are cutting panel orders in Q2, according to IHS Markit (Nasdaq: INFO). The reduction in panel demand is intended to cut inventory.
News categories: IHS Markit, Deborah Yang, China, Digital TV, Market Research, Smart TV, Worldwide
- Comscore expands global Connected TV footprint with Samba TV
- Irdeto brings enhanced security services to Forthnet
- Western Europe to gain over 100 million SVOD subscribers by 2025
- MediaKind first to deploy latest You.i TV video experience SDK
- TVSquared and Blockgraph partner on TV and cross-channel measurement
- GTPL KCBPL selects ATEME for converged headend in India
- PlayStation 5 launches this November
- BrightLine launches connected TV ad solution
- Telefónica invites start-ups to develop digital home apps for Movistar+
- FIH and NAGRA launch Watch.Hockey app
- Gracenote enables cross-platform search and discovery for sports content
- VR headset market expected to grow despite short-term decline
- Pay TV in Portugal grows 4.1% YoY in 1H 2020
- Liberty Puerto Rico launches Hub TV powered by TiVo
- Verizon Media offers header bidding-like solution for OTT publishers
- Watch Brasil launches SVOD Smart TV app with Accedo
- ViacomCBS global streaming service to be called Paramount+
- TV3 to trial 5G immersive sport at Superbike World Championship
- Finns prefer to watch streaming services on the TV
- Proximus Pickx Android TV service goes live with 3SS