Digital TV News: Thomson
Thomson Broadcast to acquire GatesAir
Apr 23, 2022 – GatesAir has announced that Thomson Broadcast has signed a definitive agreement to acquire GatesAir from an affiliate of The Gores Group. The transaction is expected to close in the second half of 2022.
News categories: GatesAir, Thomson Broadcast, Bruce D. Swai, Ylias Akbaraly, Aby Alexander, Content Distribution, Digital TV, MandA, USA
Channel 5 joins Digital UK
Dec 20, 2021 – Channel 5 has joined Digital UK, alongside BBC, ITV and Channel 4. The four public service broadcasters have entered into a new Digital UK members' agreement, marking the first time that the venture has been wholly owned by all four PSBs.
News categories: Digital UK, ViacomCBS, Channel 5, Caroline Thomson, Sarah Rose, Digital TV, Terrestrial, UK
OTT subscriptions to overtake DTH in Australia and New Zealand by 2026
Oct 5, 2021 – According to Dataxis, OTT subscriptions in Australia and New Zealand will overtake DTH by 2026. DTH subscriptions will however still account for more than 40% and 66% of total subscriptions respectively in the two countries.
News categories: Dataxis, Australia, Digital TV, Market Research, New Zealand
Paramount+ to debut in Australia on August 11th
May 7, 2021 – ViacomCBS Australia & New Zealand has announced that its streaming service, Paramount+, will launch in Australia on August 11, 2021. Priced at $8.99 per month, subscribers will have access to more than 20,000 episodes and movies.
News categories: ViacomCBS, Beverley McGarvey, Australia, Digital TV, Streaming
Synamedia, Thomson Broadcast, Triveni Digital offer ATSC 3.0 Channel-in-the-Cloud
May 6, 2020 – Synamedia has announced an ATSC 3.0-ready cloud solution with Thomson Broadcast and Triveni Digital, providing a fast way for station operators to trial ATSC 3.0 with minimal disruption to their existing stations before investing in on-premise equipment.
News categories: Synamedia, Thomson Broadcast, Triveni Digital, Julien Signes, Aby Alexander, Mark Simpson, ATSC 3, Content Distribution, Digital TV, USA
India TV shipments climb to a record 15 Million units in 2019
Mar 17, 2020 – Shipments of TVs in India grew 15% annually to reach a highest-ever 15 million units in 2019, according to Counterpoint. The growth is mainly driven by budget smart TVs with 32" TVs the leading segment and penetrating sub-US$150 price bands.
News categories: Counterpoint, Karn Chauhan, Debasish Jana, Digital TV, India, Market Research, Smart TV
Tremor International acquires News Corp's Unruly
Jan 6, 2020 – Tremor International (AIM: TRMR) has reached an agreement with News Corp (Nasdaq: NWS, NWSA; ASX: NWS, NWSLV) to acquire Unruly, News Corp's programmatic video marketplace. The deal marks the start of a three-year partnership with News Corp.
News categories: Tremor, News Corp, Unruly, Ofer Druker, Rebekah Brooks, Robert Thomson, Norm Johnston, Advertising, Big Data, MandA, Worldwide
Thomson Broadcast and Viaccess-Orca secure DTT deployment in Mali
Nov 12, 2019 – Viaccess-Orca (VO) has announced that the Malian Transmission and Broadcasting Corporation (SMTD) has chosen VO's cardless CAS to secure its DTT platform. Thomson Broadcast will manage the deployment of the DTT infrastructure.
News categories: Viaccess-Orca, SMTD, Arnaud Alvarez, Ismaila Togola, Content Distribution, Content Protection, Digital TV, Mali, Terrestrial
Thomson Broadcast returns to the U.S. targeting ATSC 3.0
Apr 2, 2019 – Thomson Broadcast has announced that it is expanding its business to the United States in response to what it sees as a invigorated broadcast television market spurred by the channel repack and the deployment of ATSC 3.0 Next Gen TV.
News categories: Thomson Broadcast, Groupe Sipromad, Aby Alexander, Jay Yogeshwar, Ylias Akbaraly, ATSC 3, Content Distribution, Digital TV, NABShow, USA
- Conviva data shows double digit streaming growth worldwide
- Nielsen deduplicates audiences across Smart TV and streaming providers
- 605 extends agreement to use VIZIO ACR data
- Pluto TV launches in the Nordics
- U.S. home entertainment spending up 10.9% to $8.7 billion in 1Q 2022
- Major U.S. pay TV providers lost 1,956,000 subscribers in 1Q 2022
- 3SS and ContentWise to use AI to power personalized user experiences
- NOS shows international holographic transmission using 5G
- Telestream acquires Encoding.com
- Hisense unveils its first Smart TV with Fire TV built-in
- Conviva announces streaming audience measurement standard
- iWedia launches ATSC 3.0 software stack
- SVOD reaches saturation in Sweden
- CTV surpasses mobile's share of global video impressions
- Global SVOD subscriptions to grow by 485 million from 2021 to 2027
- European VOD Coalition officially inaugurated
- 7.9 million Disney+ subscribers added in 1Q 2022
- Gaumont launches SVOD on Netgem Content-as-a-Service platform
- AMC+ coming to Orange Spain's entertainment offering in June
- Liberty Global video subscribers down 21,900 in Q1 2022