Digital TV News: Thomson
Thomson Broadcast to acquire GatesAir
Apr 23, 2022 – GatesAir has announced that Thomson Broadcast has signed a definitive agreement to acquire GatesAir from an affiliate of The Gores Group. The transaction is expected to close in the second half of 2022.
News categories: GatesAir, Thomson Broadcast, Bruce D. Swai, Ylias Akbaraly, Aby Alexander, Content Distribution, Digital TV, MandA, USA
Channel 5 joins Digital UK
Dec 20, 2021 – Channel 5 has joined Digital UK, alongside BBC, ITV and Channel 4. The four public service broadcasters have entered into a new Digital UK members' agreement, marking the first time that the venture has been wholly owned by all four PSBs.
News categories: Digital UK, ViacomCBS, Channel 5, Caroline Thomson, Sarah Rose, Digital TV, Terrestrial, UK
OTT subscriptions to overtake DTH in Australia and New Zealand by 2026
Oct 5, 2021 – According to Dataxis, OTT subscriptions in Australia and New Zealand will overtake DTH by 2026. DTH subscriptions will however still account for more than 40% and 66% of total subscriptions respectively in the two countries.
News categories: Dataxis, Australia, Digital TV, Market Research, New Zealand
Paramount+ to debut in Australia on August 11th
May 7, 2021 – ViacomCBS Australia & New Zealand has announced that its streaming service, Paramount+, will launch in Australia on August 11, 2021. Priced at $8.99 per month, subscribers will have access to more than 20,000 episodes and movies.
News categories: ViacomCBS, Beverley McGarvey, Australia, Digital TV, Streaming
Synamedia, Thomson Broadcast, Triveni Digital offer ATSC 3.0 Channel-in-the-Cloud
May 6, 2020 – Synamedia has announced an ATSC 3.0-ready cloud solution with Thomson Broadcast and Triveni Digital, providing a fast way for station operators to trial ATSC 3.0 with minimal disruption to their existing stations before investing in on-premise equipment.
News categories: Synamedia, Thomson Broadcast, Triveni Digital, Julien Signes, Aby Alexander, Mark Simpson, ATSC 3, Content Distribution, Digital TV, USA
India TV shipments climb to a record 15 Million units in 2019
Mar 17, 2020 – Shipments of TVs in India grew 15% annually to reach a highest-ever 15 million units in 2019, according to Counterpoint. The growth is mainly driven by budget smart TVs with 32" TVs the leading segment and penetrating sub-US$150 price bands.
News categories: Counterpoint, Karn Chauhan, Debasish Jana, Digital TV, India, Market Research, Smart TV
Tremor International acquires News Corp's Unruly
Jan 6, 2020 – Tremor International (AIM: TRMR) has reached an agreement with News Corp (Nasdaq: NWS, NWSA; ASX: NWS, NWSLV) to acquire Unruly, News Corp's programmatic video marketplace. The deal marks the start of a three-year partnership with News Corp.
News categories: Tremor, News Corp, Unruly, Ofer Druker, Rebekah Brooks, Robert Thomson, Norm Johnston, Advertising, Big Data, MandA, Worldwide
Thomson Broadcast and Viaccess-Orca secure DTT deployment in Mali
Nov 12, 2019 – Viaccess-Orca (VO) has announced that the Malian Transmission and Broadcasting Corporation (SMTD) has chosen VO's cardless CAS to secure its DTT platform. Thomson Broadcast will manage the deployment of the DTT infrastructure.
News categories: Viaccess-Orca, SMTD, Arnaud Alvarez, Ismaila Togola, Content Distribution, Content Protection, Digital TV, Mali, Terrestrial
Thomson Broadcast returns to the U.S. targeting ATSC 3.0
Apr 2, 2019 – Thomson Broadcast has announced that it is expanding its business to the United States in response to what it sees as a invigorated broadcast television market spurred by the channel repack and the deployment of ATSC 3.0 Next Gen TV.
News categories: Thomson Broadcast, Groupe Sipromad, Aby Alexander, Jay Yogeshwar, Ylias Akbaraly, ATSC 3, Content Distribution, Digital TV, NABShow, USA
- J:COM deploys Qwilt Open Caching solution
- Breezeline Stream TV comes to Cleveland and Columbus, Ohio
- Sale of Millicom to Apollo Global Management and Claure Group in discussion
- Comcast cable video subscribers down 2.034 million in 2022
- Disney strikes streaming measurement deal with EDO
- ITV increases investment in InfoSum
- German study shows high losses from TV piracy
- European Audiovisual Observatory publishes report on media ownership in Europe
- NBA games to be available in VR through Meta Horizon Worlds
- Simply.TV signs metadata deal with YouSee
- Verizon FIOS consumer video subscribers down 80,000 in 4Q 2022
- Unified TV ad measurement to be launched in Finland
- KPN introduces KPN TV+ streaming service
- ENENSYS releases ATSC 3.0 modulator for digital TV transmitters
- iWedia report reveals drivers behind set-top box OS selection
- Fabric acquires Internet Video Archive (IVA)
- MENA pay TV subscriptions to grow by 2 million over next 6 years
- Prime Video and DAZN sign global distribution partnership
- CIMM, 4A's and TVB looking at action plan for U.S. local TV measurement
- U.S. TV viewing remained high in December