Digital TV News: Fraunhofer
MPEG LA offers one-stop license for ATSC 3.0
Jan 20, 2022 – MPEG LA has announced the availability of its ATSC 3.0 Patent Portfolio License providing one-stop access to patents that are essential to the next generation broadcast standard developed by the Advanced Television Systems Committee (ATSC).
News categories: MPEG LA, Larry Horn, ATSC 3, Digital TV, Licensing, Patent, Worldwide
MPEG-H selected as audio system for Brazil's TV 3.0 Project
Jan 17, 2022 – The SBTVD Forum has completed the technical evaluation phase of its TV 3.0 Project aimed at defining Bazil's next-generation TV platform. In the end, MPEG-H Audio was selected as the sole mandatory audio codec for the system.
News categories: Fraunhofer IIS, Ateme, SBTVD Forum, Adrian Murtaza, Mickaël Raulet, Brazil, Content Distribution, Digital TV, SBTVD
Fraunhofer and Sinclair working to bring Digital Radio Mondiale to ATSC 3.0
Apr 13, 2021 – Fraunhofer IIS and Sinclair Broadcast Group (Nasdaq: SBGI) are joining forces to bring Digital Radio Mondiale (DRM) services to users of the ATSC 3.0 digital TV platform. DRM is an ITU-endorsed radio standard.
News categories: Fraunhofer IIS, Sinclair Broadcast, Alexander Zink, Mark Aitken, ATSC 3, Content Distribution, USA
Netflix now streaming xHE-AAC audio on Android mobile
Jan 12, 2021 – Fraunhofer IIS has announced that Netflix is now using the xHE-AAC audio codec. Netflix has licensed Fraunhofer’s xHE-AAC software and is using it to encode its entire catalog.
News categories: Fraunhofer IIS, Netflix, Bernhard Grill, Content Distribution, Digital TV, Media Player, Mobile, Streaming, Worldwide
Norigin Media trials ad replacement with Fraunhofer FOKUS
Dec 8, 2020 – Norigin Media has completed an ad-replacement trial with Fraunhofer FOKUS. The joint OTT AdTech proposition will offer Pay TV operators the possibility to detect and replace advertisements on streaming services.
News categories: Norigin Media, Fraunhofer FOKUS, Ajey Anand, Robert Seeliger, Advertising, Digital TV, Worldwide
Bitmovin adds VVC encoding support
Nov 18, 2020 – Bitmovin has incorporated H.266/Versatile Video Coding (VVC) into its encoding solution. Bitmovin is among the first to integrate the codec and does not require device updates or additional licenses.
News categories: Bitmovin, Fraunhofer HHI, Stefan Lederer, Benjamin Bross, Content Distribution, Digital TV, Media Player, Streaming, Worldwide
Fraunhofer IIS licenses MPEG-H Audio patents to Samsung
Jul 29, 2020 – Fraunhofer IIS has licensed its MPEG-H Audio patents to Samsung, allowing Samsung to manufacture products that feature MPEG-H Audio. MPEG-H Audio is specified in TV broadcast standards such as ATSC 3.0 and DVB as well as mobile standard 3GPP.
News categories: Fraunhofer IIS, Samsung, Stefan Geyersberger, Digital TV, Licensing, Patent, Worldwide
Fraunhofer HHI presents H.266/VVC video coding
Jul 6, 2020 – Fraunhofer HHI (together with partners including Apple, Ericsson, Intel, Huawei, Microsoft, Qualcomm, and Sony) is celebrating the release and official adoption of the video coding standard H.266/Versatile Video Coding (VVC).
News categories: Fraunhofer HHI, Media Coding Industry Forum, Benjamin Bross, Dr. Detlev Marpe, Content Distribution, Digital TV, Media Player, Worldwide
WDR and Fraunhofer HHI show VVC/H.266 at IFA 2019
Sep 3, 2019 – WDR and the Fraunhofer Heinrich Hertz Institute HHI are collaborating to test the Video Coding possibilities offered by the next international standard VVC/H.266. The pair will show initial results at IFA 2019.
News categories: Fraunhofer, WDR, Content Distribution, Digital TV, Germany, IFA
- MPEG LA offers one-stop license for ATSC 3.0
- discovery+ now available on LG Smart TVs in Canada
- SLING TV comes to VIZIO SmartCast platform
- VideoAI from CTS automates video content metadata generation
- Irdeto brings Server Side Ad Insertion solution to market
- Five million Brits spending full working day on streaming sites
- Breezeline launches cloud-based TV service
- ATSC 3.0 technologies selected for Brazil's TV 3.0 system
- European Audiovisual Observatory publishes report on media ownership in Europe
- MPEG-H selected as audio system for Brazil's TV 3.0 Project
- Altice partners with Ampersand to sell addressable ad inventory
- Cgates goes live with Synamedia video network solutions
- Video Solutions AG launches AVOD channels with Amagi
- Netflix shows signs of slowing in the U.S.
- A-LIVE partners with Minerva to offer fans NFTs of music concert
- Pay TV revenues in the MENA region to decline by $1.5bn
- ViacomCBS migrates from satellite to IP content distribution with CommScope
- VIDAA selects Unruly SSP and ad server to provide inventory access
- NBCUniversal names iSpot.tv as first cross-platform Video Certified Measurement Partner
- GTPL Hathway finishes 2021 with 7.5 million digital CATV subscribers