Digital TV News: Sony
TV shipments expected to undergo 12.4% YoY decline in 2H 2021
Nov 22, 2021 – Quarterly TV shipment for 3Q21 reached 52.51 million units, representing an 8.3% QoQ increase but a 14.7% YoY decrease, according to TrendForce. Demand for TVs was constrained by the increase in various country’s vaccination rates as well as rising retail prices for TV sets.
News categories: TrendForce, Digital TV, Market Research, Smart TV, Worldwide
Plex now has more than 200 FAST channels
Nov 15, 2021 – Plex has announced that it now offers over 200 free-to-stream live TV channels. Plex is one of the most widely available ad-supported video on demand and live TV offerings in the industry, available in 193 countries.
News categories: Plex, Digital TV, Streaming, Worldwide
Four Hartford TV stations launch NEXTGEN TV
Oct 12, 2021 – Hartford viewers can now find four channels over-the-air with NEXTGEN TV: TEGNA's WCCT (CW, channel 20) and WTIC (FOX, channel 61), Meredith's WFSB (CBS, channel 3), and Nexstar's WTNH (ABC, channel 8).
News categories: Pearl TV, TEGNA, Nexstar, Anne Schelle, Kurt Rao, ATSC 3, Content Distribution, Digital TV, USA
IBCAP announces $7 million judgment against Universe IPTV
Oct 7, 2021 – IBCAP has announced that the United States District Court for the Southern District of Texas entered a Final Judgment and Permanent Injunction against Universe IPTV and its individual owners.
News categories: IBCAP, Chris Kuelling, Content Protection, Digital TV, Streaming, USA
Antenna Group acquires Sony Pictures Television Network's CEE portfolio
Oct 2, 2021 – Antenna Group has agreed with Sony Pictures Television to acquire the CEE AXN, Sony and Viasat 3 & Viasat 6 pay TV channels and On Demand services as part of a major investment in the region.
News categories: Antenna Group, Sony Pictures, Theodore Kyriakou, Adam Theiler, Content Distribution, Europe, MandA, Streaming
Global VR revenues to exceed $56 billion in 2026
Sep 30, 2021 – According to ABI Research, steady growth in both enterprise and consumer VR over the next 5 years will lead to 50.1 million VR Head-Mounted Display shipments (a 42% CAGR) and more than $56bn in revenues in 2026.
News categories: ABI Research, Eric Abbruzzese, Gaming, Market Research, VR, Worldwide
Robust growth forecast for SVOD revenue in India
Sep 23, 2021 – Subscription video on demand (SVOD) revenue in India is expected to grow at a robust compounded annual growth rate (CAGR) of 15.9% from US$0.9bn in 2020 to US$1.9bn in 2025, according to GlobalData.
News categories: GlobalData, Pradeepthi Kantipudi, Digital TV, India, Market Research, Streaming
Sony Pictures Networks India and Zee Entertainment negotiating merger
Sep 22, 2021 – Sony Pictures Networks India (SPNI) and Zee Entertainment Enterprises (ZEEL) have entered into an exclusive, non-binding Term Sheet to combine their linear networks, digital assets, production operations and program libraries.
News categories: Sony Pictures Networks, Zee Entertainment, Digital TV, India, MandA
Record YoY growth for India's Smart TV market in Q2
Sep 17, 2021 – India's TV shipments grew 46% YoY in Q2 2021, according to Counterpoint Research. The post-pandemic economic improvement, aided by active retail channels fulfilling the pent-up demand, was the key reason for the growth.
News categories: Counterpoint Research, Debasish Jana, Digital TV, India, Market Research, Smart TV
- Kineton and SmarDTV demonstrate OpApp & CAM at 9th HbbTV Symposium
- Irdeto launches CAM-based HbbTV OpApp solution
- South African government provides update on analogue switch-off
- Nielsen to enhance TV measurement with individual commercial metrics
- DVB releases first 8K UHD video delivery specifications
- TV shipments expected to undergo 12.4% YoY decline in 2H 2021
- Megacable selects STB management solution from Axiros
- Orange Belgium in negotiations with Nethys to acquire 75% of VOO SA
- One million Android TV Operator Tier deployments for Mirada
- MediaTek 8K TV SoC first in 7-nanometer at TSMC
- In-person IBC 2021 cancelled
- CommScope selected to provide Foxtel's iQ5 streaming STB
- Vestel migrates Smart TVs to EPG metadata from Simply.TV
- Prime Video now available to Movistar+ customers
- Crackle Plus improves content discoverability with Gracenote
- MediaTek launches Pentonic smart TV family with 8K 120Hz IC
- Major U.S. pay TV providers lost around 650,000 subscribers in 3Q 2021
- 24i powers launch of Cinessance in North America
- Broadpeak cancels in-person participation at IBC
- M3 selects XroadMedia for personalized OTT service in Russia