Digital TV News: ATEME
Malaysia to convert to digital TV broadcasting in stages
Aug 6, 2019 – Malaysia's transition from analogue to digital TV broadcast will be implemented in stages, the country's Minister of Communications and Multimedia has said. Langkawi is the first location to receive myFreeview digital TV in place of analogue TV transmission.
News categories: Malaysian Communications and Multimedia Commission, Digital TV, Malaysia, Terrestrial
ATEME and Eurovision Services run BISS-CA watermarking trial
Jul 18, 2019 – ATEME and Eurovision Services ran a watermarking trial during a recent international football event in Paris. The proof of concept used BISS-CA, an enhanced, secured standard of the BISS protocol, to help broadcasters in the fight against piracy during the event.
News categories: ATEME, Eurovision Services, Julien Mandel, Oscar Teran, Content Protection, Digital TV, France, Watermarking, Worldwide
EU opens antitrust investigation into Broadcom
Jun 26, 2019 – The European Commission has opened a formal antitrust investigation to assess whether, in TV and modem chipset markets, Broadcom may be restricting competition through exclusivity practices, in breach of EU rules.
News categories: European Commission, Margrethe Vestager, Digital TV, EU, Regulation, Semiconductor, Set Top Box
ATEME provides headend to the Egyptian National Media Authority
Jun 11, 2019 – ATEME has announced that the Egyptian National Media Authority (ENMA) has selected its converged video headend to cover the 2019 Africa Cup of Nations. The headend that ATEME has provided is based on its encoder/decoder and multiplexer solutions.
News categories: ATEME, ENMA, Razik Zaghlouli, Eng. Mervat Hassan, Content Distribution, Content Protection, Digital TV, Egypt, Terrestrial
TiVo to separate Product and IP Licensing businesses
May 9, 2019 – TiVo (NASDAQ: TIVO) has approved a plan to separate its Product and IP Licensing businesses. TiVo intends to spin out its Product business to shareholders and the company will continue to be open to strategic transactions for each business.
News categories: TiVo Corp, Raghu Rau, Content Distribution, Digital TV, MnA, Patent, Set Top Box, USA, UX, Worldwide
FOX, NBCUniversal, and Viacom unveil OpenAP 2.0
Apr 25, 2019 – FOX, NBCUniversal, and Viacom have unveiled OpenAP 2.0, expanding the audience platform into a centralized video marketplace with workflow automation for national linear and long-form digital video, developed in collaboration with Accenture and FreeWheel.
News categories: Viacom, NBCUniversal, FOX, John Halley, Sean Moran, Krishan Bhatia, Linda Yaccarino, Meredith Brace, Marianne Gambelli, Advertising, Big Data, Digital TV, USA
ATEME renews partnership with Hitachi Kokusai Linear
Apr 23, 2019 – ATEME has renewed its partnership with Hitachi Kokusai Linear (HKL). ATEME will supply low latency Kyrion encoders for use alongside HKL transmitters to support growing demand from Brazil's broadcast market.
News categories: ATEME, Hitachi Kokusai Linear, Luis Silva, Fabio Pina, Brazil, Content Distribution, Digital TV, Terrestrial
Amazon bulk certifies Espial Elevate operators for Alexa voice control
Apr 16, 2019 – Espial (TSE: ESP) has announced that they have certified several Amazon Alexa voice controls on Elevate-based IPTV, app-TV and cable services. Amazon did a bulk certification, enabling operators to move rapidly through the process.
News categories: Espial, Michael McCluskey, Travis Kohlrus, Noah Popejoy, Cable TV, Digital TV, IPTV, OTT, Smart Home, Worldwide
Ultra HD Forum brings updated Guidelines to NAB Show 2019
Apr 4, 2019 – At NAB, the Ultra HD Forum (UHDF) will bring an update to its Guidelines. The unified document describes ‘foundation’ UHD technologies, as well as ‘enhancements’ that are backward compatible but still work on foundation equipment.
News categories: Ultra HD Forum, Madeleine Noland, Thierry Fautier, Content Distribution, Digital TV, NABShow, Smart TV, Worldwide
- Pay-TV Innovation Forum reveals LatAm key findings
- Beeline deploys Kaltura TV Platform in Kazakhstan
- Spearad launches monetization technology for addressable TV and audio
- SmartLabs migrates legacy boxes for StarNet TV in Moldova
- New global launch dates confirmed for Disney+
- Viacom and ACCESS partner on automotive TV in Germany
- Australians turn to multiple subscriptions for entertainment
- Broadband usage patterns provide clues to imminent cord-cutting
- TELUS Home Assistant giving Optik TV customers hands-free voice control
- Amobee launches data marketplace for connected TV and multiscreen advertising
- Sky Media reveals power of addressable TV
- Charter agrees deal to distribute Disney streaming services
- Consolidated launches TV over Fiber-to-the-Premises in Columbia County, New York
- Global smart speaker sales grow 96% to 30.3 million in Q2 2019
- Comscore to provide measurement for Xandr's addressable offering
- CBS and Viacom to combine
- U.S. STB energy agreement savings top $5 billion
- GO Malta deploys Edgeware solutions for multiscreen TV
- Major U.S. pay-TV providers lost ~1.53 million subscribers in 2Q 2019
- Most smart speakers and video streamers are energy efficient