Digital TV News: DisplaySearch
End-of-year surge pushed 2013 global 4K TV shipments to 1.6 million
Mar 18, 2014 – 4K LCD TV shipments reached 1.6 million units in 2013, with nearly one million units alone shipped in the fourth quarter (Q4) of 2013, according to the latest NPD DisplaySearch Quarterly Global TV Shipment and Forecast Report.
News categories: DisplaySearch, Paul Gagnon, Digital TV, Market Research, Smart TV, Worldwide
DTVKit announces launch at TV Connect
Mar 18, 2014 – The DTVKit Open Software Foundation (DTVKit) is an independent, not-for-profit organisation, dedicated to developing and maintaining a shared pool of software building blocks for CE products based on DVB standards.
News categories: DTVKit, Ocean Blue Software, Paul Martin, Paul Cox, Paul Gray, Middleware, Video Exchange, Worldwide
Sigma Designs introduces Ultra HD frame rate conversion chip
Jan 6, 2014 – Sigma Designs (NASDAQ: SIGM) has announced the FRCX, an Ultra HD frame rate conversion chip for large-size LCD and OLED panels where high quality frame rate conversion, judder removal and Ultra HD upscaling are critical features.
News categories: Sigma Designs, Mustafa Ozgen, CES2023, Digital TV, ICs, Semiconductor, Smart TV
2014 4K×2K TV shipments to rise dramatically in China
Dec 24, 2013 – According to DisplaySearch, interest in 4K×2K TVs is at a fever pitch as a critical moment is approaching in the market: 4K×2K is transitioning from early adopters to more mainstream consumers. Rapidly falling prices will fuel adoption.
News categories: DisplaySearch, Paul Gagnon, China, Digital TV, Market Research, Smart TV
Chinese TV set makers most aggressive with 4K TV marketing
Oct 21, 2013 – According to NPD DisplaySearch, 1.3 million 4K TV sets will ship globally in 2013, rising to 23 million in 2017, and Chinese set makers are looking to break out of their domestic market and challenge Samsung, LGE, Sony, Panasonic, and other 4K TV leaders on a global stage.
News categories: DisplaySearch, Paul Gray, Digital TV, Market Research, Smart TV
Hillcrest motion, gesture and cursor control for Hisense smart TVs and set-tops
Sep 4, 2013 – Hillcrest Labs and Hisense have announced a strategic partnership by which Hisense will deploy Hillcrest's patented Freespace® in-air pointing and motion control software in its next-generation of Smart TVs and Pulse set-top boxes.
News categories: Hillcrest Labs, Hisense, Digital TV, Middleware, Set Top Box, Smart TV
LCD TV growth strong in China; demand in developed regions declines
Sep 3, 2013 – According to NPD DisplaySearch, Q2'13 overall worldwide TV shipments were down 3% Y/Y, though LCD TV shipments managed to grow 4% Y/Y. The overall trend in total shipments, while still negative, is showing some improvement from last year.
News categories: DisplaySearch, Digital TV, Market Research, Smart TV
Emerging markets opt for Smart TVs at greater rate than mature markets
Aug 30, 2013 – According to the NPD DisplaySearch Quarterly Smart TV Usage Study, consumers in emerging markets are twice as likely as those in mature markets to purchase an internet-enabled smart TV in the coming 12 months.
News categories: DisplaySearch, Market Research, Smart TV
Gaming Consoles Lead Global Connected TV Usage
Apr 9, 2013 – With growing interest in streaming content, online gaming, and apps on TVs, households are increasingly finding ways to connect their TVs to the Internet. In several developed countries, game consoles have become the most popular way to make that connection, according to NPD DisplaySearch.
News categories: DisplaySearch, Blu-ray, China, Digital TV, DVD, France, Gaming, Germany, Italy, Japan, Market Research, Set Top Box, Smart TV, Streaming, UK, USA
- CDNetworks powers VSTV K+ OTT streaming in Vietnam
- 24i and Amagi partner to enable rapid launch of streaming services
- Net Insight and Skyline partner on live video workflows
- Mixed fortunes for pay TV in the Asia Pacific region
- Evolution Digital integrates OpenSync with an Android TV set-top box
- ARF calls for move away from TV households as basis of TV measurement
- 76% of SVOD services to introduce ads in the next two years
- Free, ad-supported streaming takes off in the U.S.
- NextGen TV begins broadcasting in Des Moines, IA
- PANTAFLIX to dispose of streaming technology subsidiary
- Harmonic powers live sports streaming for VertiCast
- Eurovision Sport selects Ad Insertion Platform monetization solution
- TV reception over the Internet continues to grow in Switzerland
- Ateme launches statmux for NextGen TV and streaming services
- Canela Media chooses Amagi for FAST content monetization
- SES in discussions regarding possible combination with Intelsat
- Comscore expands 48-hour television reporting
- TCCL deploys iWedia Android TV Custom Launcher
- LiveU joins AWS Partner Network
- 63% of rural Americans bundle internet and TV