Digital TV News: RAS
NOS shows international holographic transmission using 5G
May 15, 2022 – NOS has carried out the first international holographic transmission using 5G in Portugal. At the event, the director of 'Top Gun: Maverick' was transported as a hologram from London to Lisbon to take part in the press launch of the film in Portugal.
News categories: NOS, Jorge Graça, 5G, Content Distribution, Digital TV, Metaverse, Portugal, UK
Telestream acquires Encoding.com
May 17, 2022 – Telestream has acquired Encoding.com, a cloud media processing platform used by customers around the globe. The acquisition solidifies Telestream's leadership in file-based video media workflows and orchestration from on-prem to cloud.
News categories: Telestream, Encoding.com, Dan Castles, Gregg Heil, Jeff Malkin, Content Distribution, Digital TV, MandA, Worldwide
Hisense unveils its first Smart TV with Fire TV built-in
May 17, 2022 – Hisense and Amazon Fire TV have announce the U6HF, Hisense’s first smart TV with Amazon Fire TV built-in. Available exclusively at Amazon.com, the new 50” smart TV will offer Fire TV's experience alongside the intelligence of Alexa.
News categories: Hisense, David Gold, Digital TV, Smart Home, Smart TV, USA
iWedia launches ATSC 3.0 software stack
May 17, 2022 – iWedia has announced the launch of an ATSC 3.0 broadcast and broadband software stack, designed to give network operators more flexibility, greater reliability and more efficient operation. iWedia has also become a member of the ATSC committee.
News categories: iWedia, Hans-Jürgen Desor, ATSC 3, Digital TV, Middleware, Worldwide
European VOD Coalition officially inaugurated
May 10, 2022 – The European VOD Coalition has been launched to give a voice to the European audiovisual streaming sector. It will engage with policy makers and regulators on behalf of companies who invest in and distribute audiovisual content in Europe.
News categories: European VOD Coalition, Julia Maxwell, Digital TV, Europe, Regulation, Streaming
Liberty Global video subscribers down 21,900 in Q1 2022
May 10, 2022 – Liberty Global (NASDAQ:LBTYA, LBTYB, LBTYK) has announced its Q1 2022 results. Organic video subscriber losses at continuing operations were 21,900 in the quarter. VodafoneZiggo video subscribers were down 24,500 over the same period.
News categories: Liberty Global, Mike Fries, Belgium, Cable TV, Digital TV, Ireland, Netherlands, Poland, Results, Slovakia, Subscribers, Switzerland
First TVs powered by TiVo Stream OS expected in late 2023/early 2024
May 9, 2022 – Xperi (NASDAQ: XPER) has announced results for the first quarter ended March 31, 2022. The company expects to launch the first TVs powered by TiVo Stream OS in late 2023 or early 2024.
News categories: Xperi, Jon Kirchner, Advertising, Big Data, Digital TV, Results, Set Top Box, Smart TV, Worldwide
Globecast, France Télévisions and Orange trial 4K channel and 5G contribution in La Réunion
May 10, 2022 – Globecast has partnered with France Televisions Overseas, and its Regionale Directorate Réunion La 1ère, to trial a 4K pop-up channel on La Réunion. Globecast and Orange created a trial of 4K contribution over 5G for the event.
News categories: Globecast, France Télévisions, Orange, Samy Nicolas Bouchalat, Philippe Bernard, Eric Grand, Frédéric Ayangma, 5G, Content Distribution, Digital TV, Mascarene Islands
Global telecoms market saw growth in 2021 except in pay TV
May 6, 2022 – Worldwide spending on Telecom and Pay TV services reached $1.566 billion in 2021, an increase of 1.6% year over year, according to IDC. IDC expects spending to increase by 1.4% in 2022 to reach a total of $1,588 billion.
News categories: IDC, Kresimir Alic, Digital TV, Market Research, Worldwide
- Infovista enables user experience testing for OTT and 5G apps and services
- UAE TV viewership research launched at CABSAT 2022
- Another record month for U.S. streaming in April
- Global OTT revenues to grow to $224 billion in 2027
- Conviva data shows double digit streaming growth worldwide
- Nielsen deduplicates audiences across Smart TV and streaming providers
- 605 extends agreement to use VIZIO ACR data
- Pluto TV launches in the Nordics
- U.S. home entertainment spending up 10.9% to $8.7 billion in 1Q 2022
- Major U.S. pay TV providers lost 1,956,000 subscribers in 1Q 2022
- 3SS and ContentWise to use AI to power personalized user experiences
- NOS shows international holographic transmission using 5G
- Telestream acquires Encoding.com
- Hisense unveils its first Smart TV with Fire TV built-in
- Conviva announces streaming audience measurement standard
- iWedia launches ATSC 3.0 software stack
- SVOD reaches saturation in Sweden
- CTV surpasses mobile's share of global video impressions
- Global SVOD subscriptions to grow by 485 million from 2021 to 2027
- European VOD Coalition officially inaugurated