Digital TV News: StarTimes
Africa Pay TV subscribers to reach 30 million in 2021
Aug 9, 2016 – Pay TV subscribers in Africa will reach 30 million by 2021, up from 16 million in 2015, according to Dataxis. Digital satellite pay TV subscribers are expected to be 20 million in 2021 compared to 8 million for DTT.
News categories: Dataxis, Priscilla Tirvengadum, Africa, Digital TV, Market Research, Satellite, Subscribers, Terrestrial
Nine operators dominate MEA pay TV
Aug 1, 2016 – According to Digital TV Research, pay TV subscriptions in the Middle East & Africa region will increase by 67% between 2015 and 2021 – from 32.37 million to 54.09 million.
News categories: Digital TV Research, Simon Murray, Africa, Digital TV, Market Research, Middle-East, Satellite, Subscribers, Terrestrial
StarTimes adds capacity with Eutelsat for DTT broadcasting in Africa
Jul 7, 2016 – StarTimes and Eutelsat (Paris: ETL) have concluded new multi-year agreements that set the stage for accelerated roll-out of digital broadcasting services across Africa.
News categories: Eutelsat, StarTimes, Rodolphe Belmer, Pang Xinxing, Africa, Content Distribution, Digital TV, DRC, Satellite, Terrestrial, Zambia
SES now broadcasting eight commercial Ultra HD channels
Feb 26, 2016 – SES (Paris; Luxembourg: SESG) has reported results for the year ended 31 December 2015. SES' technical reach in prime video neighbourhoods contributed to an 11.3% increase in total TV channels broadcast over SES satellites to 7,268 channels.
News categories: SES S.A, Africa, Content Distribution, Europe, Latin America, North America, Results, Satellite
Pan-African pay TV platforms set to boom
Sep 16, 2015 – Pan-African pay TV platforms are set to boom, according to Digital TV Research. Pay DTT platform GOtv will gain 5.84 million subs between 2014 and 2020 to reach 7.50 million – more than quadruple its 2014 total.
News categories: Digital TV Research, Africa, Cable TV, Digital TV, Europe, IPTV, Market Research, Middle-East, Poland, Russia, Satellite, Subscribers, Terrestrial, Turkey
StarTimes to develop media gateway for Africa with Conax
Sep 7, 2015 – Conax (SIX:KUD:S) has entered into a contract with StarTimes to co-develop a media gateway for Africa. Conax will provide StarTimes with its Conax Trusted Link security client, security expertise and the technical blueprint for a multi-room service.
News categories: Conax, StarTimes, Morten Solbakken, Pang Xinxing, Africa, Content Protection, Digital TV, Gateway, Media Player, Mobile, Set Top Box
Kudelski reports 2015 half year results
Aug 20, 2015 – The Kudelski Group (SIX: KUD.S) has announced 2015 half year results. The Group entered into several new contracts and completed deployments in the digital TV segment In Europe. Bundles of anyCAST security, OpenTV5 connectware and MediaLive multiscreen are seeing increasing market traction in Asia and Latin America.
News categories: Kudelski, Content Protection, Digital TV, Middleware, Results, Set Top Box, Worldwide
Pay TV in 21% of TV households in East Africa
Jul 31, 2015 – According to research by Dataxis, in the five countries of the East African Community (EAC), DTT had an overall 53% share of pay TV users, followed by DTH with 43% and the remainder on CATV systems in Kenya and Tanzania.
News categories: Dataxis, Burundi, Cable TV, Digital TV, Kenya, Market Research, Rwanda, Satellite, Subscribers, Tanzania, Terrestrial, Uganda
StarTimes to distribute DTH across Sub-Saharan Africa with SES
Jul 31, 2015 – SES Platform Services (Paris; Luxembourg: SESG) has announced that StarTimes will distribute TV channels for their direct-to-home (DTH) subscribers across Sub-Saharan Africa via SES Platform Services’ broadcast facility in Germany.
News categories: SES S.A, StarTimes, Wilfried Urner, Pang Xinxing, Africa, Content Distribution, Digital TV, Satellite
- Discovery+ launching on Sling TV and Dish TV
- FAST Channels TV provides linear channels for Digital TV Cyprus OTT platform
- Video streaming services lost further playtime per user in H1 2022
- BARB releases Establishment Survey data for the UK for Q2 2022
- Simulmedia and TiVo renew data-licensing partnership
- Paramount+ joins Roku Channel’s Premium Subscriptions lineup
- Altice USA residential video RGUs down 85,000 in 2Q 2022
- DISH Network pay TV subscribers down 257,000 in 2Q 2022
- Over six million Android TV OS deployments for iWedia
- RTL Deutschland and Seven.One Entertainment to create addressable TV JV
- Charter residential video customers down 240,000 in 2Q 2022
- Access Advance adds further patent owners
- Disney+ app integrated on Foxtel set top boxes
- ADTH introduces ultra-compact USB ATSC 3.0 receiver
- ATSC 3.0-in-a-box from ENENSYS and Ateme powers WCRN Boston NEXTGEN TV
- Sinclair partners with Korean broadcasters to further NextGen broadcasting
- Linear TV viewing down as online long form viewing time continues to grow
- Auton and Anywave launch ATSC 3.0 broadcast internet test lab in Oregon
- OAN expands CTV reach with NetRange
- Liberty Global, Telefónica, InfraVia Capital to build fibre network in the UK